A question for accommodationalists

Sorry son. Im a physicist. I have done those calculations. such an event 1. can’t launch things into space, even if you turn the water into instant steam. There isn’t enough energy contained in the high temperature water. Have your guy show his calculations, take a picture of the calculations and post it here. My bet is he doesn’t understand physics very well.

The closest thing we have to what you describe is a volcano which explosively erupts because the water inside the magma turns to steam, creating a pressure that blows the top off the volcano and then for some way down the vent, lava flowing upward has its water turned to steam. The highest they can shoot things up is 55 km. I think my calculations were on the order of the upper 40s km high.

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1gkiz3/could_a_volcano_eruption_theoretically_be/

Apart from that there is the stupidity that we are discussing Granite, about 2.6 kg/m^3 density being supported by a flowable fluid of 1 kg/m^3. Nature doesn’t like that situation, The weight of the granite would fall into that water almost instantly but I am playing your silly game. But this is the last response period. I am not interesting in deaing with people who know nothing but think they do.

Secondly your guy knows nothing about rock mechanics. Below is a picture of what would happen, the vertical tensile strength of the granite is not great. It is like what happens to ice in the arctic if you lift it up, it breaks close to the point you are lifting it up. Thus the reality is that most of the granite will ‘flapjack’ a word a geologist I worked with used. It means that they will rotate and land upside down a bit away from the break. and parts of the crust near your pillars will rotate down as shown below because they are having a lost of buoyancy event. As the water leaves the chamber, it isn’t there to support the granite crust and some of it will fall down.

I worked the last 20 years the offshore environment. I wish I could find the video which was passed around via email of a supply boat having a bubble of air coming up from the seafloor below it and the entire ship fell into that void and disappeared, only to pop up again in a few seconds. Good thing they had the ship battened down or they would have continued down. The white in the picture above is either the water having turned to steam or waater being drained from the edges and right along the edes the granite crust would experience a loss of buoyancy event. But your guy wouldn’t know anything about it.

The water eroded the bottom side of the granite crust as well as pummeling the granite that was collapsing into the jets of water on either side of the rupture. That is the source of sand and clay.

Obviously you didn’t read or believe what I said about diagenesis. What you would get is not sand and clay but arkosic sand. See, this is a good example of you NOT dealing with the science, which is why I quit talking to people with your view a few years ago. I just bang my head against the wall

This continued until the rupture became quite wide. Then beginning in the mid-Atlantic, the mantle sprang upward forming the mid oceanic ridge because of the great amount of mass that was removed. The earth is a vacuum, so the Pacific had to collapse downward, forming oceanic trenches around the Pacific. It has taken thousands of years since the glacier melted in North America and the uplift and subsidence from that weight being removed is still gong on. The mantle doesn’t move as fast as you think. Water has viscosity of .0001.

Sorry, the bolded part is just stupid. Do you or your guy have any idea what the viscosity of the mantle is? It doesn’t flow like water. sheesh–Go away and enjoy your ignorance. At times I wish I hadn’t gone into geology because I was as happy with YEC as you are but after 10 years of seeing data like I showed you I had to honestly admit there were serious problems. You can ignore things and have a make believe science and love your god. In a sense I envy your ignorance because what I learned cost me years of anguish doubt and trouble.

The continents slid down hill away from the Atlantic toward the Pacific riding on supercritical water until they ran out of lubricating water or hit resistance.

If you moved the continents that fast with 10^24 centipoise, the friction would vaporize the granite and large chunks of the mantle. Let me give you an idea of what how big that viscosity number is.
Here are various flowable substances and their viscosity in centipoise.
1 = Water
500 =#10 Motor Oil
2,500 =Pancake Syrup
10,000 =Honey
50,000 =Catsup
250,000 =Peanut Butter
1,000,000,000,000 Tar see Pitch drop experiment - Wikipedia
100,000,000,000,000,000= ice
10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000=mantle

In the Atlantic you should find no granite because it was removed by the high velocity high energy water. In the Pacific and Indian oceans granite is starting to be found because there parts of the granite crust were sucked downward toward the rising Atlantic.

Oh Lord, we have known of the submerged continent near New Zealand for a long time. But the rest of the Pacific is granite free. Where is all that granite?

Because of the movement in the mantle, especially in the Pacific, large amounts of basalt spilled onto the Pacific floor covering the Pacific continent. So the Atlantic is the top of the mantle, the Pacific is basalt that melted and spilled onto the Pacific floor.
Interestingly, looking at ocean sediment depth maps, the deeper sediment areas are adjacent to the continents.

good grief, I think that is what I showed in my diagram earlier. Obviously you didn’t actually pay much attention to the details I put into that diagram

I think you know where to find more info on this theory if you wish to take the time. It is clearly outside the current paradigm of plate tectonics, which Dr Brown and Christian Smoot have poked plenty of holes in.

You are talking to a guy who tried that game of picking holes in drift. One thing that is problematic for your view is that if you fit Africa and South America together, the flood deposited sediments match like a glove across that break. This is true up to the, I think, mid Cretacious. (I won’t go look up the exact time of the split. but both continents have the same sediments with the same fossils in the same order and the distribution or shape of these deposits match up when the continents are put together. There are beds with Glossopteris leaves, other beds that are coal, other beds that are volcanic and they are in the same order. Since the sand and shale were deposited after the continents started speed skating on the viscous mantle, taking Africa in one direction and SAmerica another, the distribution of the beds shouldn’t match.

Before the break up we find glacial tills that form a unit if you put the Antarctica, India Africa and South America together. But these are supposedly flood deposited sediment, It seems unlikely to me that they would be deposited like this after the continents are separated.

Most significant is the presence of Carboniferous glacial
deposits on all the southern lands and India. These are
known as the Dwyka in South Africa, the Talchir in India,
the Itarare and Tupe in south America and the Buckeye in
Antarctica. It was one of the successes of Wegener’s
assembly of the continents that all these glaciated areas
were brought into reasonable space relationships."
"Above the glacial deposits is a series of continental
sediments with fossils of land animals, some coal and the
well-known Glossopteris flora. The karroo System of South
Africa is the best known. Simultaneous deposition of
similar continental sediments with similar fossils on four
separate land masses is one of the strongest points in
favor of the drift theory.” ~ William Lee Stokes and
Sheldon Judson, Introduction to Geology, (Englewood Cliffs:
Prentice Hall, 1968), p. 426-427.

here are the glacial deposit extent on these four continents. They lie above fossiliferous sediments and even if you say these are not due to glaciers, they then must be explained why they fit like this in your theory.

Here is how coal aligns on the pangean continent. Coal is supposedly a flood deposit and those continents were now far away, sliding into the pacific.

I have enjoyed reading your writings posted on oldearth.org. You sir are a good man who brings up many thought provoking topics.

I am glad you enjoyed some of that stuff, but I wish you would believe what I said. I am not a good guy. I have been too demanding throughout my life, of family, of employees, and ask my sons about my patience–it isn’t good. I have been mean in my argumentation far too often (believe it or not I am mellow here. lol) As the bible says, thee is no one good.

As it pertains to the topic of accommodationalists, this discussion is off topic, but yet it is not. The question is: Is the Bible scientifically accurate as originally written? If the Bible is scientifically accurate then I believe something close to this theory/idea is close to the truth.

You should think about the fact that there is a differrence betwen what is written, and how it is interpreted. Everything written requires an interpretation. As classically understood, Genesis 1 does not match anything we find in geology. You guys tie yourself to a false science which you tie to the Bible like a dead albatross. The accommodationalist, just throw up their hands and say, Its false, bit Im going to believe it anyway. they interpret is as a theological message. I interpret it in a way that is evolutionary and matches science. I also have the only flood scenario that matches the Biblical description of Eden and the Flood and the flood was a real event, not a puny river flood, but it was local. Eretz, translated planet earth by you young earthers really means land or country. Be open to another idea or find something different than the YEC views.

Don’t think I didn’t notice that you didn’t explain what worm burrows are doing in the flood deposited sediment. You didn’t explain how river channels could be in the middle of the flood when everything is underwater, and you didn’t explain why there are hundreds of meteor impact craters found in the middle of the fossil record. (no the granite blocks are not the meteors.)

4 Likes

What you are actually asking is, God please give us an update. Imagine God would sending a prophet rephrasing Gen 1-3 into modern scientific understanding. What would happen with that person?

Are you going to believe him / her ?

2 Likes

I was wondering what someone from the 19th or early 20th century would think if the details of Einstein’s theory/quantum theory were included in Genesis 1.

1 Like

Jewish tradition has long held that Moses was the author of Genesis. It isn’t atheists saying this.

The Ten Commandments are not part of Genesis.

I also find it strange that you can’t conceive of a situation where the Bible is part fable and part history. Do you think the whole of the Gospels is parable because Jesus spoke in parable for parts of the Gospels?

That’s the risk of interpreting Genesis in such a way that it speaks nonsense with reference to our modern understanding of how the Universe works. As St. Augustine put it:

1 Like

@gbob

You think Atheists believe in God’s inspiration?

If you think there is a layer of liquid water (i.e. swimmable), i think there are geologists who want to know which planet you mean.

No, not an update, there are other possibilities. God could have and I think did, give a message that could be interpreted aas true by both of us, the Neolithics and us moderns. No matter how one slices it, If God’s goal is to meet mankind where he is, he has failed to do that with us moderns because we view what he said as false nonsensical fables… Unless, the case is like I suggest, that God did say something true but it is our interpretation of what he said that keeps both YECs and accommodationalists from seeing that.

But one doesn’t need to do that in order for God to tell us truly the order of creation, and that evolution hapapened. Why would one think quantum is needed for that?

This is that terrible view of the all or none. The expectations that the Neolithics had to have brightly minted Ph. D’s in string theory or they couldn’t understand that evolution happened. That is just a ridiculous requirement for understanding evolution. Most geoscientists I know couldn’t work a single problem of quantum, yet they understand evolution better than most quantum physicists.

You think Atheists believe in God’s inspiration?

If you think there is a layer of liquid water (i.e. swimmable), i think there are geologists who want to know which planet you mean.

Sigh you forgot what you said. go back and re read what you said. It was

What about the idea that humans wrote Genesis … using their best understanding of God’s inspiration available to the scribes at that time?

to the atheist, they would agree that humans wrote Genesis. They wouldn’t care about their best idea of God’s inspiration. so I answered and said, If that is correct, then there is no reason to believe the bible has any hold on me because the atheists don’t believe it has a claim on them either.

An atheist would not care about the motivation of the writer, be it his best understanding of God’s inspiration, because he doesn’t believe in God so there can’t be any God’s inspiration. I figured everyone understood that atheists don’t believe in God and thus the implications which follow from that–no miracles, not inspiration, no dead bodies rising. etc. maybe I was wrong in my assumption about the state of knowledge about atheists.

Right, but that was not the point–the point was that if it were relevant in the manner that the creation story was, it would be useless for God to tell them that, and confusing to them. At least, that’s the way I think.

Now, please don’t misunderstand. I wish that it had all been exactly scientifically correct, and I have a lot of questions to ask God in the future (we will both, won’t we? ) On the other hand, maybe God doesn’t really care how much importance we lay on this. I continue to admire your zeal and knowledge.

2 Likes

Then my question is, why broach the topic at all? What would be the point? Just start with the simple statement, God created the heavens and the earth and go right into the Fall.

I understand you are not per se defending accommodationalism but one of the issues with it is that none of the advocates actually consider counterfactuals, things that God COULD have done instead of inspiring what we have. It would have saved lots of trouble our God with foreknowledge could have avoided. At least that is my view. So why is it there?

1 Like

But that’s exactly my point. They claim the scientific facts with their Scriptures and this points to a supernatural origin. There’s loads of modern science that various groups claim is contained in its pages and use it as an apologetic for their religious texts in particular. Anyone can do this with phrases from old writing and read things into texts that were never there.

Reading the Bible in its ancient context is a far more exciting way for me to read the text and it is a big relief. I don’t have to do mental gymnastics trying to figure out what exactly Genesis 1 is supposed to be referring to from a modern science perspective but let the text just simply be. The text isn’t false because it’s not a text that is making authoritative claims about the natural world, but it is an introduction to a fascinating world that is very different from today’s world that did make some rather surprising claims about the supernatural and humanity. I can focus on the main claims of the text and compare and contrast those to the surrounding people groups (the surrounding people groups had similar ideas about the natural world but different ideas on who god (or gods) were and how man relates to said gods).

In part, it is a very relieving way for Christians to interact with the apparent threat that science seems to be making upon Christianity. Realizing that there aren’t unique Christian anti-science positions to be believed can be a great relief for many. In other words, they don’t have to choose science or Christianity and can freely pay attention to the heart of God instead of bogged down in ‘what was the expanse supposed to be now?’

4 Likes

About “unless”, it reminds me on - Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures [Luke 26:25]

Because !

And I say to this, “So what?” If they believe their religion they SHOULD try to support it. I will tell this story again, but we had a rabbi come to our church to explain Judaism. Being the philosophical type, I asked her what was the biggest reason to be a Jew? I expected her to say, “Because I believe Judaism is true” but hat isn’t what she said. She said the biggest reason to be a Jew was because her family were Jews. My thought in this was, Doesn’t Truth matter? So I asked her, is all there is to religion is that we have weekend clubs were some of us meet on Saturday and some of us meet on Sunday, but there isn’t anything else to them? She kinda waffled on the answer as I recall, but it was almost to that effect, that it wasn’t which religion we had that was important but that we had a religion.

As to many attempts to do this matching with nature, I think it is good. The problem is that too many people when it doesn’t match are not willing to draw the conclusion that their religion is false–and that goes for accommodationalists who believe that most of the miracles, well, are not miraculous or didn’t happen, and certainly don’t believe much in Genesis 1-11 and maybe not much up until the era of the Judges. YECs hold to false science and maybe that is what the Hindu and Muslim guys you cite are doing–holding to false science. If that is what they are doing, then they have failed in their efforts. Since I only know the cuss words in Arabic, I am unable to judge their ‘knowledge of embryology’. But I don’t ever want to be in your position of having given up on believing there is historical truth in Scripture and still believing what I think to be false–especially since our religion is a historical religion, based in historical events that had to have happened.

You wrote:

"Reading the Bible in its ancient context is a far more exciting way for me to read the text and it is a big relief. I don’t have to do mental gymnastics trying to figure out what exactly Genesis 1 is supposed to be referring to from a modern science perspective but let the text just simply be. "

First, I don’t read the Bible for ‘excitement’ I read scifi for that. I read the Bible because I think it has God’s plan for our world–it is a metaphysical thing, and I read it because I think Christianity is TRUE, unlike that Rabbi’s view of Judaism.

Secondly, from my perspective it is you who has to do the mental gymnastics, to try to explain why you give credence to a book which has so much falsehood in it, which falsehood is presented in a rather historical manner. And you have to be content with having God speak nonsense about the natural world, and find a way to excuse him for doing that, but you won’t give that same excuse to YECs who also say false things about the world. For the YECs you reserve your disgust of their ideas, but for God’s nonsensical recitations in Genesis 1, we call them poetry and deeply meaningful. That is holding to a double standard.

I on the other hand can simply say, YECs are wrong factually, Accommodationalists are wrong by condemning Gods word to be false, and I have a way to make it fit together and match real geologic events. I don’t find that to be mental gymnastics. Further the framework for my view is centuries old–the Days of Proclamation view and started with St. Basil noticing that Day 1 was different than the other days and he put it into pre-temporal ‘times’. (not that I don’thave a word for time before time).

In part, it is a very relieving way for Christians to interact with the apparent threat that science seems to be making upon Christianity. Realizing that there aren’t unique Christian anti-science positions to be believed can be a great relief for many.

My view is also not anti-science, people just don’t think God has worked with mankind as long as I do. If you think it is, please tell me what part of science am I rejecting? You may not like my interpretation, but it isn’t creating a false science.

I would fail to find it very relieving to learn that Christianity is pro-science but false historically and non-miraculous as shown by many on this list who challenge my belief in miracles. Yeah yeah, I will be told again that the account was never meant to be taken literally. But it looks like it was written to be taken literally, and in nearly 30 years of debating this with accommodationalists not one of you has given me a source for what God’s intent was. It isn’t written and none of you have claimed that God told you in a dream what he intended with early Genesis. Again I say, ideas of what God’s intent were says more about the person making the claim than it does about God’s intent.

Again, I can not see that us telling the world that they should believe our religion because our fables are better than the fables of other religions is a good selling point or a relief to the worried. An anti-science perfect history religion and a pro-science false history religion are BOTH false.

Because ProDeo, as I have explained many times. I think it is there because it can be interpreted differently from the YECs but in a way that makes it have history for us. The problem is Christians took 2 wrong turns a couple of centuries ago–some went to YEC and others went to 'Its historically false but still to be believed" and no one successfully found a way to make it historically true so that it can be believed. That is what I claim to have done. People don’t like my time frame. People don’t think God has dealt with humanity that long. People have had ZERO originality or creativity in these areas for the past 200 years–it has all been group think on each side of this debate. I don’t do group think very well, or at least I try hard not to.

When I started my studies on this area back in the mid 1970s, I had one goal, find a flood scenario that matched the Biblical account. I was a geoscientist and I found out that the global flood of the YECs didn’t work and I knew that the pitiful Mesopotamian flood was no match for the biblical description. . When about 1989 I understood the implications of the Zanclean flood, AKA the Messinian Flood or the infilling of the Mediterranean basin, I knew I had stumbled on to the match. This event was the marker for Lyell for the end of the Miocene and beginning of the Pliocene epoch.

About 5.5 million years ago (by the way, this is the age of humanity’s oldest genes), the movement of Africa into Eurasia closed the Tethys seaway to the east of the Med, and uplifted the region around Gibraltar cutting the Mediterranean Sea off from both oceans. Because the evaporation in the Med is higher than the river influx. I first heard about this from a guy who worked for me in 1975. His thesis was on how long it would take the Med to dry once cut off. I didn’t understand the rest of the Mediterranean’s history until years later. This guy’s thesis said it would take only 4000 years for the Med to dry up except for a few places where rivers entered, like the Nile or the Rhone.

Geologic data shows that the upper Miocene in that era and area was a desert. Great masses of salt were deposited and then covered with desert sands. An when the dam at Gibraltar broke, allowing the Oceanic waters to come back in and fill the basin, it happened in an instant of geologic time–around 8 months to a year to go from desert to deep water sediments with benthonic plankton who only live in waters deeper than 3000 ft. The transition took place in about a half inch of rock.

If you think about what that event would have been like, well, the bottom of the area would have been surrounded by 10-15,000 ft mountains, and former islands like Crete, Cyprus etc would have looked like high mountains. Artesian flow would have come off the continental platforms and the now exposed water bearing formations disgorged their water.

And here is the kicker, as the water came into the basin it forced the air up, but the hot air would pick up moisture from the waters and we all know of the adiabatic lapse rate, where rising air cools and moisture it contains condenses into clouds. The air in the Med would have risen for a full year as the waters infilled the basin causing the most long lived massive set of thunderstorms the world has ever seen. It would have rained for a very long time.

As the waters came in from the west, any floating box, like an ark would be pushed towards the east–Turkey or Levant (Bible says Turkey mts of Ararat).

So, here we have a known geologic event which perfectly matches the Biblical description of the flood–and no one likes it. Some because it brings evolution with it, and others because, well they prefer to ‘read the bible in ancient context’ as if they really know what the ancients thought.

Everything else in my system of thought follows on from that. Eden was a place on the bottom of that desert basin surrounded by the Eurphates (which once emptied into the Med) the Nile, and other rivers off of either Europe or Cyprus. As I said, artesian effects would cause ‘mists’ to rise.

Once I have Eden and the Flood as real events, Why not look for a way to interpret Genesis 1.

Now is the time for yall to barf (bring out the barf bags) at my audacity for actually being a bit creative and original in this area, and for believing what God’s word says. If we don’t believe God’s word about these areas which are verifiable, why should be believe that there is a heaven which isn’t verifiable?

I agree, it is more exciting to see the Bible in the lens of its ancient context rather then trying to impose our modern white western mindset onto the text. To me, it makes the Bible more real in that it was based off from a real period of history and not isolated in some vacuum in fantasy land that many YEC and fundamentalist’s seem to make of it.

1 Like

Again God wasn’t lying, He was working with them in their local cognitive environment and told the things that they needed to know that would make sense to them. In terms of the creation story, the Jews would be more concerned about who they are and what the order of creation was rather then the science behind it and how long the days where.

Maybe I should approach it this way. You can’t prove the bolded statement, it is mere assumption, your assumption, but you state it as if it is a fact. Unless God told you that sentence or he wrote it some where, you can’t categorically state what God’s intent was. It is a necessary assumption for yoursystem of thought, but it isn’t a fact of nature.

This I think is the most hubristic thing about accommodationalism. It assumes that people KNOW as a FACT what Gods intent was. You know no such thing.

If you think you do know that, tell me where that factual knowledge comes from or is to be found.

That’s a revealing phrase right there! So any religion worth having needs to be supported from somewhere outside itself. In that view, one could fairly conclude that your true religion has already revealed itself - whatever it is that you look to, to solicit such support. That is what you truly believe in.

I resonate more with Lewis’ view that “I believe in the sun not so much because I can see it, but because by it, I see everything else.” What I take from that is … not that my religion should be insular and protected from reality, but that it should provide me an interface that works plausibly with the world and helps me successfully understand / navigate it. So my religion does receive checks from outside itself. But my bedrock faith does necessarily reach down to those axiomatic foundations (presuppositions) that themselves are my premises prior to anything like science. They cannot be supported by science (or if something is supported by science - great - but that would mean it isn’t a foundational axiom.)

1 Like

I suspect you are well aware of the dozens of Flood stories around the ancient world. The questions are:

1. Are the stories independent of each other? If so a global Flood starts to make sense. On the other hand it was God’s clear intention to destroy all living, so how can the stories be independent of each other?
  2. If the Flood story has one origin (as Scripture claims) then the testimonies of the 8 survivors were retold and retold each culture adding their own ingredients (North American indians surviving in a canoe) contaminating the original story. As such we can understand the Gilgamesh Flood, the closest of all to the Noah Flood in content and geology, the lesser the distance the lesser the contamination.

Your Zanclean Flood theory is interesting but it was not global.

Bottom line, nothing is satisfying, like so many other issues.

We gotta have faith. Jesus said so repeatedly. My previous “because!” remark was also quite finger pointing to myself :slightly_smiling_face: