A plethora of thoughts on Intelligent Design

Similar to what others have commented about ReMine’s Biotic Message, many find it really odd that a designer developed life on Earth in patterns which are so easily conflated with the processes of natural laws and descent with modification. Some make a good case that in structuring a universe such that life could evolve is the design.

Still, it would help significantly if design theorists would propose arguments that are strong and stand some chance of being fully evaluated.

As I’ve said earlier, I believe the best test cases for studying the possibility of ‘design’ is to focus on systems for which we have the best coverage and where signals are least likely to be lost to noise over time. These would almost necessarily be features that emerged recently. About a decade ago, as the human and ape genome sequences were coming in, Paul Nelson made a case that if humans had genes that were specifically designed for humans (as opposed to features in other great apes), then he’d expect them to appear novel and unique. He proposed that the number of ORFans, open reading frames in DNA with no known coding DNA in other species, in the human sequences would continue to increase as more sequence data was accumulated. This was a positive claim to support the notion that humans and other great apes did not share common ancestry because the number of new genes required would be too great for natural mechanisms. As it turned out, this prediction didn’t hold. Deeper comparisons with more data revealed that most sequences initially tagged as ORFans turned out to have sequence precursors in other species. But – and this is important – at least as a positive claim, it displayed good reasoning and had a high likelihood of being definitively answered in the near future. …which it was, if not positively in Nelson’s favor.

I largely agree with this, except that Nelson has not conceded defeat on this point. It was a nice hypothesis, but it was falsified by the data, but he does not recognize that it was falsified by the data. I think this is certainly not helpful for his case, in the long run. It is better to let go of a falsified theory early, so as to have credibility when presenting the next one (which might in fact be correct).

Natural theologians are wedded to a conception of their Designer (capital D, aka God), which I’m repeatedly told is not central to ID theory. I don’t necessarily expect a designer to use such a communication channel but neither do I reject the possibility out of preconceptions about how a designer should operate. That’s a case of prematurely dismissing possibilities, IMHO, and perhaps best described as ‘Theistic ID’, to differentiate the view from the open-tent model that ID aspires to.

Again I’m not saying that the lack of such communications argues against a designer’s role, only that a positive result would be huge. Considering the “bang for the buck” impact, I would think it foolish to not give it a go. It’s not an expensive project and these would be signals that could not be readily be accounted for by natural mechanisms.

Speaking of other types of signals that cannot be accounted for by natural mechanisms in the genomes but which are apparently OK with natural theologians… Yes, certainly Paul Nelson had an idea and made a positive proposal about what he expected to see embedded in the human genome. Unfortunately, as Swamidass noted, it would be nice if Nelson would be more public about walking away from proposals that don’t quite work out rather than let them fade with a whimper. Better to close the books and move on: Lesson learned. (see also “Ontogenetic Depth”)

1 Like

If that is what they thought, I would have no problem with it.

Instead, they seem to argue that science can detect God’s design using what human study of nature has take thousands of years to discover. This is most certainly not “plainly seen since the beginning.”

Instead of looking to science and engineering, they should have looked to art. Through an artist’s eyes, God’s invisible qualities have been plainly seen since the beginning. This understanding of God has only become more clear as science has uncovered the vast expansive of our universe, and incredible complexity of biological life.

Art, however, has no value in a modernist view. It has no value in ID.

I like the quote from my Lutheran friend Tim Saleska (not an evolutionary creationist),

I think of God as a poet or an artist. Perhaps God’s work of creation is like that of an artist creating something beautiful, rather than a lawyer trying to make a case for His existence. If so, the question [why isn’t evidence of His existence more clear?] is beside the point; akin to asking why would a poet put archaisms in her poem (and then not leave evidence that they are archaisms)?

he then quotes Terry Eagleton…

God the Creator is not a celestial engineer at work on a superbly rational design that will impress his research grant body no end, but an artist, and an aesthete to boot, who made the world with no functional end in view but simply for the love and delight of it. Or, as one might say in more theological language, for the hell of it. He made it as gift, superfluity, and gratuitous gesture–out of nothing, rather than out of grim necessity. In fact, for Christian theology there is no necessity to the world at all . . . . He created it out of love, not need. There was nothing in it for him. The Creation is the original ‘acte gratuit.’ The doctrine that the world was made out of nothing is meant to alert us to the mind-blowing contingency of the cosmos–the fact that like a modernist work of art it might just as well never have happened, and like most thoughtful men and women is perpetually overshadowed by the possibility of its own nonexistence.

Of course, God designed us. But the man-made image of the designer god is woefully incomplete. It is an idol that hides the real message of the cosmos from our view.

4 Likes

I equally say that anyone who expects God to show us his design in the information complexity of DNA sequences is “writing about some God other than the Biblical God.” Yet this is exactly what ID people expect, and exactly what they argue.

The God in the Bible, instead, reveals Himself to us through Jesus. Not in science, but in history.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing these beautiful perspectives (the Lutheran ones you quoted). What a breath of fresh air!

Interesting. I agree with that philosophical review.

When Paul Nelson proposed that humans must have more unique DNA sequences than ‘natural mechanisms’ can account for, and therefore a designer may have been active, where does that relate in your discussion above? “Proximate”, “Efficient”, “Formal” causes… which one’s does Nelson’s proposal touch on?

When Eddie asks for others to propose ‘positive cases in biology’ for design or ID theory, on what metaphysical levels do you think he is touching on with his request?

Paul Nelson expects de novo sequences in humans while some proponents of panspermia and extra-terrestrial involvement expected de novo sequences encoding messages. However, I see nothing “philosophically incorrect” about either proposal, assuming ID is a big tent and not just lightly-coated religion.

OK, now I (think I) understand. Certain phyla that exist today arose (it is hypothesized) during the Cambrian. We are obviously able to sequence the DNA of extant members of the phyla.

Did I understand that correctly?

Thanks!

Hi Argon

I regard myself as an independent in the matter of design, so neither feel an obligation, nor qualified, to speak on how any particular ID writers view things. Still less do I want to speak for Eddie, who speaks for himself… however, as a Platonist, he is surely symptathetic to the concept of formal causation.

But here is how I would parse your paragraph about Paul Nelson, without endorsing or rejecting its factual accuracy. In this context, “natural mechanisms” is taken to mean “independent of any design”. That is, specifically, “random mutations” are ontologically random either because there is no designer, or because he chose to make such processes autonomously random, ie unpredictable even to himself.

That is, there is no organising principle of formal causation, but only the particular efficient causes proposed by current evolutionary theory, which we all know and love.

Any particular change in the genome can be attributed to mere chance, but the proposed mechanisms are, the design theorist concludes, insufficient in their cumulative effect to produce the number of unique and useful DNA sequences seen in the transition from ape to human… especially in the context of the whole phenomenon of similarly harmonious living species.

Ergo, the dice have been loaded by design, and further explanations must be found either within or outside science, but in any case beyond the present scientific theory. In brief (and without trying to be too correct and exhaustive) those explanations could either be “miraculous” (or perhaps better if one wants to remain agnostic on the designer’s nature, “saltational”), “providential” (agnostically, “incremental”), or “lawlike”, all to the same end of introducing formal causation.

• “Miraculous” would mean the designer taking an ape, or even a bag of chemicals, and changing it saltationally into the human. Could one ever observe that, it would of course mean, in efficient causation terms, a whole bunch of lucky genetic changes at once. Analogy: Jesus is born of a virgin.

• “Providential” would mean that the changes happened over time according to the observed, or future improved, scientific observations, but improbably luckily from the point of view of outcome, compared to ontologically random events. In terms of efficient causation, the God who directs all “natural” events by concursus directs them, in this case, towards humanity. Analogy: God decides that his special prophet John the Baptist shall be born to Zechariah and Elizabeth.

• “Lawlike” would mean that the suspect “random” changes turn out not to be ontologically random at all, but subject to laws of chemistry, or emergent physics, or convergent evolution, or inherent teleology, etc. In other words, formal causation was built into the fabric of the world, but hitherto ignored and, actually, excluded from full scientific study methodologically. Example: we actually don’t seem to have any examples of that kind of inherent organisation, but we do analogously have inherent order in crystals, the propensity of carbon chemistry for endless variation, etc.

The point is that any, or all, of these, infer design from the net result, not from the efficient causation. In the Nelson example, “net result” is “too many Orphans”, but I’d equally go with “compare a human with an ape.” I don’t see any reason not to infer design at any particular level of detail in principle.

Saltation could be seen, like spontaneous generation, to be natural. Incremental change could be (and usually is) seen to be just the way the dice falls (or the arrow flies to Ahab’s weak spot). Natural law could be taken to be just the way the universe happens to be. But, as Asa Gray argued, the more felicitous organisation one sees, the less plausible the principle of “order arising spontaneously from chaos” becomes.

The actual issue, then, is “undirected” or “directed to an end by “intelligent” final causation, instantiating formal causation by whatever efficient and material causation may be observed or inferred”. Thus far we have the basis of both Aristotelian metaphysics and all natural theology, as well as Intelligent Design per se. Anexagoras has to work hard to make his case against proponents of cosmos.

My own 2 penn’orth is that one can only draw any conclusions about final and formal causation by sitting loose to science’s self-limitation to efficient and material causes. Science cannot possibly say why John the Baptist, rather than his stupid hypothetical sister in the next spermatozoon, was born, except by recourse to chance. But the Evolutionary Creationist is not merely a scientist, but a theologian, and should therefore be thoroughly cognisant of the need for, and the likely means of, God’s final and formal causation in Creation: God creates John the Baptist by design, as well as and beyond sexual reproduction, and the human species by design, as well as and beyond neutral drift, mutation, selection and so on.

That is certainly the level that Vincent Torley, Stephen Meyer, or William Dembski see things (not to mention William Paley, Thomas Aquinas, Justin Martyr or Alfred Russel Wallace). I just don’t know about Paul Nelson - but he has, at least, done more philosophy of science than the average biologist.

2 Likes

Nelson is a nice guy. I like him, and he has certainly done more philosophy of science than the average biologist, because he is a philosopher of science. He is not a biologist.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I meant, Joshua!

[quote=“Argon, post:123, topic:5673”]
Again I’m not saying that the lack of such communications argues against a designer’s role, only that a positive result would be huge. Considering the “bang for the buck” impact, I would think it foolish to not give it a go.[/quote]
Exactly!

[quote] It’s not an expensive project and these would be signals that could not be readily be accounted for by natural mechanisms.
[/quote]And the DI has plenty of money. Instead they try to pretend that talk is action.

1 Like

Yes, that is correct. And if we found the anomalies predicted by a design event, we would sequence the genomes of additional related species to eliminate the possibility of systematic errors.

Hi Jon,

I appreciate the categorization of events as miraculous, providential, and lawlike. I was slightly deflated, though, when you did not mention a Biblical birth as an example of lawlike. I propose the following:

God “knits together” David in his mother’s womb.

The scientifically inclined observer would think that everything leading up to David’s birth had proceeded in a lawlike manner; children are born every day! Looking back at his own birth, though, David saw the hand of God at work.

Chris

I did start with a caveat about completeness! The assymetry didn’t please me either.

However, in this case I think you miss the distinction I was attempting: that between the general possibilities of natural laws, and the specific outcomes that suggesr design/direction. In terms of evolution, that would mean something along the lines that pre-Darwinian evolutionists like Lamarck meant: that the evolution of humanity (for example) was an inevitable outworking of natural laws. That’s partly why Darwin initially avoided “evolution” - it implies an unfolding of what is implicit, rather than the exploration of uncharted territory.

So although the process of generation proceeds on “natural” principles (relegating the design question to the development of the system itself), there is no law which would reliably produce David-the-king-and-psalmist. David had seven brothers and however many sisters, all unsuited to kingship, and each of them the product of the scientifically random combination of an egg and one spermatozoon amongst millions. There was no scientific guarantee that David, the youngest, would ever have arrived (“Thank goodness - a daughter at last”, misguided Jesse says).

And so I was quite deliberate in suggesting that according to current knowledge, no lawlike set of processes exist that would lead to any divinely-desired species, let alone any chosen individual.