A Pastor's Journey

1 Like

It’s a real catch 22. We wouldn’t know as much as we do without the extreme specialization within science. But specialization requires experts and we are necessarily dependent on them for access to the information acquired.

For those not invested in the acquisition of all this knowledge who are instead invested in living life along traditional lines, it probably feels like an intrusion. We are careful not to foist the knowledge of hereditary markers for life threatening diseases on people but we are less reticent with information which undermines traditional belief systems.

Personally I prefer to know what can be known and appreciate the people who acquire the specialization to expand our knowledge. But obviously this choice to know more is not one everyone wants to make. Disagreement is not surprising and isn’t even unreasonable necessarily.

1 Like

Could it be that it’s not so much what we say, but how we say it? There are a lot of variables at work here, of course. In ministry, my basic philosophy was to add something valuable and positive to what people already had, rather than taking something away. Convincing them that such a thing was valuable and positive was the challenge. An important factor in young earth creationism is the social context – a form of peer pressure. What I’m hearing from science may ring true, but for me to “come out of the closet” with pro-science, pro-evolutionary views may lead to hassles with friends, family, and church that I would rather avoid.

4 Likes

I suppose every occupation has its challenges. But that looks like a mighty dicey bit of dancing you do. Good luck with that.

1 Like

Very well put. “We don’t really care what you know, till we know that you care,” to quote the old adage.

"Atul Gawande says scientists should assert “the true facts of good science” and expose the “bad science tactics that are being used to mislead people”. But that’s only part of the story, and is closing the barn door too late.

"Because the charlatans have already recognised the need, and have built the communities that people crave. Tellingly, Gawande refers to the ‘scientific community’; and he’s absolutely right, there. Most science communication isn’t about persuading people; it’s self-affirmation for those already on the inside. Look at us, it says, aren’t we clever? We are exclusive, we are a gang, we are family.

"That’s not communication. It’s not changing minds and it’s certainly not winning hearts and minds.

“It’s tribalism.” (emphasis added)–Tribalism is what the scientific community complains about in others; but we are all really tribalists.

I wish I could memorize that. It’s almost gone from my mind already.

Tribalism permeates our society to the point where we normally don’t notice it any more. Originally a survival strategy, now a liability to humanity as a whole. What we need, as one of my psych textbooks mentioned, is superordinate (generally agreed upon, widely shared) goals.

1 Like

In the context of the science / faith relationship, I would hope that evangelical Christians could agree on defending the authority of scripture while acknowledging the legitimate contributions of science in understanding God’s creation. Both / and. Not either / or.

1 Like

Thanks, Phil. Updated manuscript submission in process.

Hi Gerald. I agree that the Bible should be our authority. But I wonder, in this evolutionary debate, whether we haven’t simply taken sides on the basis of what our denominations or family traditions told us, instead of on what the Bible itself says. For example, in Gen 1, God commands the earth to “bring forth” vegetation (vs 11) and living creatures (vs 24) which the earth does, and commands the waters to “swarm with” creatures (vs 20). “Bring forth” and “swarm with” imply some agency on the part of the earth and sea. Similarly, in chap 2, the first human being is called “Adam” because he came from “adamah” (Hebrew for soil). So there seems to be a nice tension in Gen 1-2 between God creating indirectly through creation, but ultimately being the true Creator. Notice also chapter 4:15-17 where, after Cain kills Abel (leaving only three people from the original story) Cain then goes to the land of Nod where his mark helps him avoid persecution, where he finds a wife and enough people to populate a city. Now we can try to rationalize or resolve these tensions all we want, but I think scripture itself asks us to live in them: that is, to see God as the true Creator and Source for all that exists, but who also works through creation to do it; and to see humanity as both being one people but also quite diverse in its origins and expressions. Re: evolution: it is no surprise to me that God created a creation that reflects its Creator–i.e. that the earth has a limited, derivative creativity. I’d be most surprised if it didn’t. In fact if humans reflect God’s image as Creator, why wouldn’t the rest of creation (Genesis doesn’t say “only” humans reflect God’s image in some way)? To make a claim like this seems to me to be the heart of faith, not a denial of God, or God’s word.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Cameron! Good to hear your voice. Certainly, I agree that God gives us a hint of what might be in the first chapters of Genesis. We still must be careful not to read too much into it as relates to science, as that is not the point of the writing. Your observation that we are asked to live in the tension rings true, as we also are asked to do so elsewhere in scripture, as we navigate justice and mercy, faith and doubt.

1 Like

Please lay your cards on the table, and please clarify what you are attempting to say.

Dear Moderator. I’d like to submit that we and on our own can decide whether the Bible can relate to science except with the Bible. As long as you can verify then we know that what it is saying is true or not.
And there are plenty of “scientific” examples that have been proven true.

Not sure I understand what you are saying. Actually, I’m sure I don’t. So as you just wrote,

1 Like

I’m sorry. I meant to say that we can determine what the Bible has to say about science by using the Bible.
What ever processes that are offered, are assured to be true, as long as they do not contradict what God has revealed in His Word.

So you reject the theory that describes rainfall as it contradicts what God has revealed (God is the source of rain not the water cycle).

1 Like

How does this contradict God’s Word?
The statement about the cycle of water, can end just as that. Or the one who is a Christian can add that God created the water cycle.
Now, if I may ask. Are you a Christian, who believes that the Bible is God’s Word?

Job 38:22-23
Have you entered the storehouses of the snow or seen the storehouses of the hail,
which I reserve for times of trouble, for days of war and battle?

There are no storehouses in the atmosphere.

Just as a Christian can add God created evolution. No difference.

2 Likes

When individuals deny scientific findings, the consequences tend to be minimal. But when millions of people distrust science, and elect a government with similar views, the consequences can be severe, especially with regard to the environment.

7 Likes

In any of these discussions, can I plead that we recognize and acknowledge clear poetic and metaphorical language?

I seriously doubt the ancient Hebrews actually believed there was a literal, physical storehouse that held snow and hail… any more than they believed in a literal, physical uterus that caused ice.