A Fruitful Conversation with a Non-believer

Relying on God is taking responsibility, Nick. You are the runaway in this analogy.

Yes.

1 Like

Nothing disingenuous in it.
But my characterization was right on.

Basically its, " i choose a definition that makes your question as invalid"

So never actually an atheist. See why we donā€™t shares yourfeelings?

I choose a definition that has been common for millennia. I (he) did not just make it up.

1 Like

My only effort has been to try to help you see what most Christians think (which doesnā€™t match how you think). And thatā€™s fine. But it just means that the ā€œproblemā€ you think weā€™re trying to dodge is a problem that we never had in the first place [apart from some Creationists who very much have imbibed the modernist bait and in that regard think much more like you do]. You can define it in such a way as to try to create that problem for Christians, but that remains nothing more than a curious intellectual exercise as it doesnā€™t actually touch on the classical Christian understanding of God - something I would think you would be interested in understanding if youā€™re hoping to engage with Christian argument. But ā€¦ whatever.

So what words of yours specifically that Iā€™ve failed to read or respond to? I will read and try to engage it using whatever definitions you would like to stick to.

2 Likes

Well, it never hurts to see both sidesā€¦but the data in my previous post suggests, at very least, the odds are rather dicey when it comes to things just working out ā€œjust rightā€ and all by chanceā€¦or luckā€¦the supposition that things could happen ā€œjust randomly or without design or planā€ is somewhat like that old theory ā€” something I read in a school science book long ago ā€“ which held (back in the day when it was believed) that if you put a rag and some sticks in a box and leave the box in a dark corner, magically (yes, randomly for no purpose), within a short time the combined ingredients of that box will erupt in the form of a mouse. This apparently WAS a belief at one time ā€” the twigs and such in a small box in a dark corner mysteriously and accidentally became a living mouseā€¦

Ridiculous, you say? WElllā€¦

ā€œThe chance that higher life forms might have emerged by chance is comparable with the chance that a tornado sweeping through a junkyard might assemble a Boeing 747 from materials therein.ā€ ā€” rgi.com/story/life/2021/06/24

If you see a parking lot full of cars, you do not assume that they just popped up randomly with no purpose or intention behind their being there.

1 Like

Pretty presumptuous of you to tell me what I was or wasnā€™t with a complete lack of information about me and my life. Is that the type of fuzzy thinking that leads you to atheism? Iā€™ll pass.

Vinnie

3 Likes

As if i said you did.

Whatevs. Nothing to discuss.

1 Like

Later. I want to give my best response, not texting from ( sorry) the beach.

2 Likes

This reminds me of the three body problem.

1 Like

How so? You rely on someone for your life . Im not. How is that taking reaponsibility?

Or maybe ball lightning

Iā€™d like to buy a clue as to where this comes from and how it fits here.

1 Like

ā€œno general closed-form solution existsā€, the three bodies maybe being Astrid, Merv and myself not coming to agreement about a definition?

2 Likes

I will keep it simple. If you want to address things i brought up esrlier, fine, but they are peripheralā€¦

First, i dont accept that there is a god, second, if there is, i dont accept the Christian version.

Starting premise that assumes a conclusion doesnt work, convincing me.

The kalam cosmology thing however expressed, only convinces
the believers.

To me its no better than a too cute by one half way of begging
the question.

Nobody knows. Is Tegmark correct with his Mathematical universe(s)?

At the very least, its based on math / science that one can work
through and make sense of it.
Hoary " philosophy" and things said to have been revealed in some
alien culture just fall flat with me.

Three Body Problem is a sci fi novel. Likewise, Ball Lightning u Any connection is obscure to me.

ā€¦but in lowercase, itā€™s not.

Working out the orbital mechanics of two similar gravitationally linked objects around their barycentre is Newtonian childā€™s play. Three. The above fruitā€¦fulness is on its way to n-bodies. Yeats also comes to mind.

Very well. I was just wanting to make sure that I hadnā€™t missed something that you then thought I was ignoring or unaware of. Of the summary remarks you made, the Mathematical universe(s) of Tegmark is the only thing Iā€™m unfamiliar with (or at least I donā€™t know anything about Tegmark specifically - though Iā€™ve certainly heard of the multiverse). As to the rest, they are all good to remain peripheral. I donā€™t put much weight on (or start with) the kalam cosmology either - at least not as a lone starting point.

I do recognize there are many who may have started there. And the Christian God (if such exists) may indeed use those inroads toward belief for many. God may also use a charlatan preacher to bring faith to a particular needy and receptive soul. Itā€™s just that God doesnā€™t leave us there. So it isnā€™t so much a matter of finding that ā€œindisputable starting placeā€ as it is the realization that we all will start [have started] somewhere, and that starting point will, by definition, be some sort (or set) of unsupportable premise(s). Itā€™s where we go from there that counts (at least on the Christian view). If thatā€™s true of Math (which it is - shown by Godel) then it will be true of science, philosophy, religion, and everything else(!). Thatā€™s why I donā€™t accept that anybody has everything ā€œall sewn upā€ so-to-speak.

All that just to affirm that it is understandable that you donā€™t find any of those starting points towards theism to be adequate in and of themselves. They wonā€™t be, and never were.