30-35% of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis

Tell me again about herd immunity and not sacrificing the economy for the sake of the weak and elderly…

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article245448050.html

Wayne Sebastianelli — Penn State’s director of athletic medicine — made some alarming comments about the link between COVID-19 and myocarditis, particularly in Big Ten athletes. Sebastianelli said that cardiac MRI scans revealed that approximately a third of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle that can be fatal if left unchecked.

4 Likes

Herd immunity without an effective vaccine is overrated. Oh wait – someone has said that before.

2 Likes

You are right. Just yesterday I was reading this alarming article in Scientific American:

A growing body of research is raising concerns about the cardiac consequences of the coronavirus

COVID-19 Can Wreck Your Heart, Even if You Haven’t Had Any Symptoms

2 Likes

I’m bracing myself for stats after kids, young adults, and teachers have gone back to school. ( I realize many have already done so.)

1 Like

Yes, it won’t be nice. Some colleges are sending infected students home instead of quarantining them at a prepared campus residence. Bad move. I fear for children, too.

1 Like

Penn State has clarified Dr. Sebastianelli’s statement:

1 Like

The truth is probably somewhere in between? Stating that absolutely none have it seems questionable, given the nature of the disease. We wait, and in the meantime I’ll let my first comment above stand.

1 Like

What an interesting turn of events.

I think the main issue is since we don’t actively go looking for myocarditis unless there are underlying issies, we don’t have a good measure of how abnormal this is. One heart doctor on it:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.