14 Billion Years of Love

A new song speaks of God’s love and power stretching across a vast and ancient universe.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://biologos.org/blogs/deborah-haarsma-the-presidents-notebook/14-billion-years-of-love

Continuing the discussion from 14 Billion Years of Love:
In about 1953 we moved to the Great Rift Valley. Where we were was semi desert but not far from us the valley dropped off another thousand feet or so into something we called Wando Valley. Wando Valley was warm and moist with some vegetable farms and a cannery operated by European refugees. I had been taught young earth at residential school. However by the end of grade 9, the trip by car down into Wando Valley convinced me that a young earth could not be right as was so much else that I had been taught. It was a very steep road cut into the side of the cliff and the geological layers were quite evident. A bit scary as there were no safety rails. Only after I retired did I have time to read books on evolution, join the ASA mailing list and become convinced of a completely natural evolutionary origin of man. On the way home from school we crossed the Awash river near which the Lucy was discovered.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this! I just purchased it on iTunes.

I just recently rediscovered the ending of C.S. Lewis’ book, Perelandra, in light of my newfound appreciation of science and evolution. At the end of the second book in his science fiction trilogy (Perelandra) Lewis writes a poetic and epic picture of “The Great Dance” of Creation. Implicit in his science fiction trilogy is a vision of the universe where God has created life on other planets and His plan for Creation is bigger and vaster than just this one single planet called Earth.

In it he writes, “All that is made seems planless to the darkened mind, because there are more plans than it looked for… There seems no plan because it is all plan: there seems no center because it is all center. Blessed be He! Yet this seeming also is the end and final cause for which He spreads out Time so long and Heaven so deep; lest if we never met the dark, and the road that leads no whither, and the question to which no answer is imaginable, we should have in our minds no likeness of the Abyss of the Father, into which if a creature drop down his thoughts forever he shall hear no echo return to him. Blessed, blessed, blessed be He!”

I appreciate more and more the imagination of C.S. Lewis. That he was able to see the beauty and majesty of God using evolution and yet still make Christ the center of all Creation - is something that encourages me as I try to wrap my brain around The Great Dance.

1 Like

Beautiful prose. I find his statement that “there seems no center because it is all center” fascinating, as that is the answer to the question of where is the center of the Big Bang.
Just watched the video, and it really is amazing. Thanks so much for posting it for us!

Thank you, Deborah, for presenting the wonderful song and nice video.

It is most ironic that Science and Faith are actually converging at a time when most people think the opposite is true…

Actually science through the discovery and verification of the Big Bang has come to the conclusion that the Bible came to long ago which is that the Universe did have a Beginning, It is this fact that has washed away any thought that the universe might be eternal and give non-believers cause to think that there is no Creator.

Still it is conservative Christians, who claim that Genesis must 100% right or totally wrong, who will not accept the scientific understanding the God’s Beginning. And many other Christians, who because of the stigma of Creationism, fail to see the fact that Genesis was right about the Beginning.

Thus it is today’s science, which was expected the expose and destroy the myths of Christianity, has instead exposed and should destroy the myths of Scientism and pagan philosophy. Sadly Christians have failed to develop a new philosophy of Science that can take the place of the old and failed materialism. .

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.