13 years of studying creationism....and the etiquette lesson I learned in Dover, PA

Dover, PA.

A small farming community. Easily ignored in the shadow of Philadelphia. Easily ignored by an invasion of news cameras as a neighborhood.

I decided after 13 years of studying creationism in Canada and at the University of Florida that this was going to be my legacy.

Meeting local people involved in a trial over intelligent design coming to Dover public schools.

Journalist Lauri Lebo gave me a 2-3 hour interview about the devastation the situation created between neighbors, Christian vs non-Christian.

Professor Barbara Forrest I met in Louisiana to discuss her role in opposing the school board as religiously motivated.

James Davison Hunter as a sociologist of the culture wars states that court cases involving media attention inevitably leads to deep polarization.

Two Penn State political scientists have commented in a book that about 60-80% of high school teachers…if I remember correctly…avoid teaching much or anything about evolution to prevent fights.

Lauri and Barbara were very gracious to me. Because I respected them enough to listen.

13 years in the library studying creationism…but it was Dover I cannot forget.

Basically I learned that when they eulogize you the only thing people remember is how you treated them. Not the PhDs or the publications or the seminary you went to.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

“Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” -Colossians 4:6

This is a place for gracious dialogue about science and faith. Please read our FAQ/Guidelines before posting.