10 Christian Women to Know: STEM Edition

From Presidents and CEOs, to researchers, and science writers, Christian women in STEM are leaders in their fields and paving the way for others to follow.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for these wonderful profiles! These give me such strength and encouragement in my own fields of geographic information science and ocean science and exploration (to the deepest darkest places of our planet ocean where God is still abundantly THERE), and as a scientist seeking to shine God’s light in the corporate sector! I am so proud and happy to know Katharine Hayhoe and have heard of Deb Haarsma but now have other heroines of Christendom to draw strength from! Thank you again!
Dawn Wright, https://dusk.geo.orst.edu, @deepseadawn on Instagram and Twitter, Wheaton College (IL) alum

5 Likes

Welcome, and cool to have you on board (to use a nautical term ; - )!

2 Likes

Thanks for checking in, Dawn! I always love to see fellow Wheaton alums out in the world making it a better place. My daughter is heading there this fall to study applied health science. I love that she has Christian women in STEM like yourself and the others mentioned here as inspiration and role models.

3 Likes

Nice! My daughter is excited to begin a pre-med program in middle school next year.

3 Likes

So neat @Christy ! As it turns out I’m leaving soon to give a lecture at Wheaton this Monday!! https://www.wheaton.edu/academics/natural-sciences/dive-of-a-lifetime---dr-dawn-wright/

3 Likes

Pre-med in MIDDLE SCHOOL?!?!? That’s incredibly impressive!

Oh, have fun! I hadn’t been back to the campus for any years when we toured it last year and it was amazing how much it has changed. The new science building is really nice. The kids get all the good stuff!

1 Like

I’m excited for her getting a head start. It is a single elective, which she has the option to take for the three years she will be in middle school, which will then have her in a pre-med program at the nearby high school. She is fiercely competitive with a literary mind, and I’m hopeful for her finding something that will suit her gifting. Her mom, my wife, gets the credit for her enrollment. I am so terribly distracted to manage the deadlines and paperwork needed for this.

2 Likes

I was wondering, when you were all the day down in Challenger Deep, in the vehicle ( I’m not sure what they called if it’s ship, submarine or what ) is it all seen off of sonar or is their video cameras and lights that can also be used that deep? Ever see any of those large masses of deep sea luminous stuff? Though I have never scuba dived or anything I’ve always enjoyed browsing pics on and off of glowing things deep down. I think it’s because it kind of reminds me of the whole cosmic terror being stuff in strange fiction.

2 Likes

Post on Alice Eastman withdrawn as I could not verify that she was a Christian woman.

1 Like

Thank you for your patience in receiving my reply as I have been away on business travel. We dove to Challenger Deep in a “submersible” (aka “deep submergence vehicle”). We had viewports so that we could look out the windows ourselves but also had video cameras attached to the submersible to record video footage. We had sonar instruments as well. We saw bioluminescent creatures at 918 m depth on the way to our total depth of 10,919 m. In view, all beautiful parts of God’s creation. No cosmic terror involved! You might also enjoy CV of Dawn Wright, Oregon State University - as that reveals to you a block of several different kinds of links (new items, videos, articles, story map, etc.), including “Redlands Forum Town-n-Gown Lecture" which is a full-length recording of a lecture similar to ones that I’m being asked to give at universities nationwide (including Wheaton College and Calvin University last week). Take care!

4 Likes

No problem and thanks for responding. I’ll definitely check out that link. Sounds really cool.

1 Like