Your remark on William Craig's latest book In Quest of Historical Adam

Same song, second verse – you have sung it before many times. Do you believe God acts interveningly into his children’s lives? Is he bound by time? Dream is an important word in your vocabulary, I guess. Were Maggie and Rich Stearns dreamers dreaming?

You know I do.

You say that like time is singular or absolute. It is not. It just an ordering of events. The physical universe has one such ordering of events as part of its mathematical space-time structure. And no, God is not a part of that structure. Nor is God part of any other space-time structure outside of Himself. But this does not mean He is incapable of ordering His own events or that He cannot make use of time or space for Himself as He chooses.

Nor does it mean that the physical universe is a fixed four-dimensional structure like an already written story. The evidence tells us otherwise that the future exists only as a superposition of possibilities. Observed from outside the space-time structure, the part existing as a superposition would be like the part of a book that hasn’t been written or read yet. Yes God can read any part of the book as He chooses but not without changing it. To read the book is to write it, just as in quantum physics to make a measurement of a particle is to alter the particle to fit the measurement results.

I say that like God is omnitemporal, which ain’t those. I thought you had been around long enough you might have remembered.

Here, read another dreamer’s dreamy dream:

The Omnitemporality of God

That touches on the mystery, only just. But God is changeless, and all his thoughts are instantaneous (that is a time-bound word too, isn’t it).

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.