Your Body's Real Age

The Bible says nothing about potential, and neither did I. And I didn’t say anything about reflecting anything. I am going by what the Bible does say.

No, I cannot. And I’ll bet it will take many years before neuroscientists can tell us what mental properties we will lose when specific brain cells are incapacitated by stroke–or what can be regained when the brain ‘reprograms’ other cells to act to in their place. This brings up important moral decisions that must be made when a person is in a long lasting vegetative state following a stroke or severe brain injury. This is of special interest to me since, at age 19, I suffered a massive hemmorrhagic stroke that could have left me a ‘vegetable’. If, after a year on life support, I had still not returned to the ‘land of the living’ I would consider it immoral NOT to pull the plug.
Al Leo

Wow! I think that’s why it’s important to make end-of-life decisions now and sooner rather than later.

The brain does know how to rewire itself. And I was told the “dead patch” (forgot its real name) in my brain would go away if I took Plavix or aspirin.

Well, beaglelady, it will never go away, but the goal is to prevent more. As to emotional differences, often that occurs if some of the brain stem circuits are affected. They well may find reconnections, and some pharmacological agents can help with the symptoms in the meantime. Prayers are with you in your recovery.

4 Likes

Huh? The neurologist said the spot will go away. Hopefully I won’t have to get another brain MRI.

But if my brain gets really goes bad I can always go into politics…

I am guessing that you would still be overqualified. My prayers are with you also.

2 Likes

Ha, politics is always a good fallback position. As to the Spot, depends on whether just a spot of low flow (ischemia) or completed stroke. But as Willy said to his dog, “Out, out, darned Spot!”

This. Good thing it wasn’t worse because I live alone.

1 Like

I am not sure the brain can rewire itself on its own. I think one’s brain needs to be ‘exercised’ so that some surviving cells are called into service to make up for those lost. Your attention to world affairs and your participation in Biologos makes me confident that you are doing an excellent job on this score. If you are living alone tho, I do hope you have someone that checks up on you daily.
Al Leo

1 Like

It constantly makes new connections anyway (but not in the case of trolls!)

You are very right. We seniors need to exercise, take classes, read, go to library and church programs, etc. to stay sharp.

Thanks! Checking up on me ain’t gonna happen. But I’m a “young senior,” and I help take care of my parents who are 90 and 95.

Right… So many of these clowns have an IQ equal to room temperature.

Thanks for the prayers