Young universe cosmology

This post has been deleted

I really can’t eliminate the possibility the universe was created last Thursday, but the evidence says it wasn’t, just like the evidence says it was not created 6000 years ago. Do you lnow of any evidence to the contrary?

2 Likes

It is quite possible that relativistic reference frames would yield an age of a few days. Actually, it would be simple to observe for anyone with an oscillation overthruster wired through a flux capacitor. Only 1.21 gigawatts would be necessary to power the apparatus. That’s easily realizable with a small plutonium powered reactor or a strong lightning bolt.

6 Likes

You can summarize the main points for discussion and then link to the article in case anyone is interested in a fuller account. But the idea is people should be able to participate in the discussion without having to go to the other article. Hope that makes sense. Also, things are slightly more flexible if the article you are linking to is not something you wrote. We just want to avoid people using this site mainly to promote their personal content elsewhere, so we have to be consistent in enforcing the guideline.

3 Likes

Does this capture some of what you want to say?

BioLogos Irony (YEC/OEC) - #69 by r_speir and the next few posts?

It seems to me that this is a completely ad hoc argument where you are trying to fit a particular interpretation of Scripture into modern Cosmology. Like, ‘it’s technically possible you guys.’ Maybe it is, I don’t know. I haven’t looked too deeply into your ideas, but one explanation for one aspect of one subject does nothing for science and isn’t the type of thinking that leads to much progress.

And it’s not that a young universe presents problems for a BioLogos point of view. It presents problems for the fields of…

• astrophysics (despite what you claim)
  • cosmology
  • nuclear physics
  • electromagnetism
  • fluid mechanics
  • heat transfer
  • materials science
  • botany
  • evolution
  • genetics
  • geology
  • plate tectonics
  • stratigraphy
  • paleontology
  • meteorology
  • archaeology
  • etc.

When all of these fields and methods of knowing/observation work just fine without some (again ad hoc) explanation that’s technically maybe possible but does nothing useful for anyone or makes no unique predictions (i.e. like Jason Lisle’s technically possible ASC model). What should we do? At best it would have to be a pseudo-scientific claim that cannot be tested/falsified and does nothing for the existing body of scientific knowledge.

But I will say, I do applaud your efforts to integrate your interpretation of Genesis 1 with modern science; it’s definitely more elegant than many other attempts especially in that it requires the ability to comprehend some of the most complex mathematics in the world.

2 Likes

Hi Christy,

I’ve a question about this one myself. It seems to me that @r_speir isn’t so much wanting to promote his content as to ask for feedback and peer review on it. I’ve got a blog of my own (https://howoldistheearth.wordpress.com/) where I’d welcome some similar feedback myself, but with this guideline I’m not quite sure how to ask for it.

Anyway, I saw his paper before the link was taken down. The link is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B87dCnn18bBASjQwMURZYTl1bm8/view. It seems to me that what he’s trying to argue is that the universe could be six thousand years old in the reference frame of the cosmic microwave background. His paper isn’t easy to read — he really needs to start by summarising his key points in an abstract before jumping straight into the maths.

The problem is that it doesn’t bring the age of the earth down in the earth’s reference frame. It also doesn’t account for features of the universe that show evidence of millions of years of history, such as colliding galaxies, galactic jets, or even light travel within just our galaxy.

Incidentally, here’s an illustration of what the distant starlight problem looks like in terms of the Milky Way. The red circle represents a distance of six thousand light years from the sun:

1 Like

Do they sell them in Wal-Mart?

1 Like

Post deleted

So … just to clarify, who exactly is your intended audience?

If it’s subject matter experts (i.e. cosmologists), then it should be in the format of a scientific paper.

If it’s science students, or non-subject-matter experts, then it needs to be made more readable anyway. You need a summary and headings so that we can speed-read it and extract the salient points before deciding whether it has any merit or not. In fact, for non-experts, a PowerPoint presentation might be more appropriate.

Sorry if this sounds like “style over substance,” but readability is important. Reading things like this takes time, and in my case I would have to mug up on general relativity and space-time metrics as well to follow the argument properly. First impressions count the most, and my first impressions on reading it were, “I thought this was about the age of the universe. Why is he starting off by talking about black body radiation?” Yes, I know, cosmic microwave background, but I very nearly didn’t read past the first couple of paragraphs at all.

Either way, you need to add a summary and some headings.

There are several ways to go about this:

To clarify, if something you have written about relates to a discussion in progress and you would like to link to it as part of a response to an OP, you are welcome to do so.

Also, you are welcome to start a discussion about the ideas you have written about elsewhere, and you are welcome to summarize or cut and paste from your article/post in an OP. (Being aware that OPs that are really long or don’t have a clear question or point to engage on generally don’t generate that much discussion) If you want to provide a link, just do so further down in the discussion, not in the OP. We really just wanted a rule that allowed us to delete the kind of content that we were getting too much of where some yahoo with a blog signs up for an account just to say: “Come to my blog and read my article. Here’s a link.” Or “I wrote a book. Please buy it.” And we want to avoid essentially becoming comment boards for outside content because that makes moderation more of a burden.

However, we understand that networking with people you “know” from the community here is a valuable thing that participation in this forum offers. So, if you don’t want to start a discussion, but would simply like people to read something of yours and give you critiques or feedback, you are welcome to use the PM feature and personally invite everyone you think might be interested, helpful, or otherwise willing to comment.

Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Christy did a great job of explaining all that. The sometimes grey area for me goes to intent. If you are posting with the intent of stimulating discussion, there may be a little more latitude than if you are posting with the intent of promoting an agenda.

The real question is what evidence is there that allows us to rule it in.

We can all dream up fantastic possibilities that no one can rule out. The real trick is finding evidence to support such possibilities.

4 Likes

Post deleted
:

Post deleted

Seems as though we are going in circles. @r_speir, perhaps there is a forum that would be more appropriate for imaginative musings regarding time, and if you wish to focus on an topic with broader appeal we can revisit it with the addition of the evidence supporting it and outside references
I think we can close this topic until that time.

3 Likes