Why must Genesis be literal?

Original Sin aside, there are other reasons for the Garden story not to be true, not the least the portrayal of God. Not only is He visible, He shows a distinct lack of foresight and intelligence. If we are not supposed to have intelligence why create the tree in the first place? And having made it, why not only tell us about it, but leave it unguarded? Do you really think that humankind stole our intelligence and knowledge of good and evil? Do you think that God did not intend us to have these attributes? How could Adam have jurisdiction without the knowledge of Good and Evil?
And where is this garden now? Outer space? Beyond our reach? It certainly is not on earth. The flaming sword would be a little hard to hide! Get real. If you want to believe in a flat earth created in 7 days, that’s one thing, but Adam and Eve is both physically, and logically impossible. Genetics alone precludes the birth of humanity from a single couple.
Richard

Surprise, surprise, we are.

Because we chose to sin. If we are forced to sin because of a inherited sin nature, why should we be held responsible?

3 Likes

That is the whole point that people seem to be missing. “It’s not my fault!”
Eve blames the serpent, Adam blames Eve. And we blame Adam! Sin is down to one person: the one who did it. That is the point of the story.
Richard

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say that “parables” and “fairytales” are interchangeable. Both aren’t meant to be description of true events, fact, but parables are supposed to convey some kind of moral lessons whilst fairytales as far as I’m concerned are usually made up stories for children, often featuring princesses, fairies, dragons etc.
Now, anyone who says that Bible is a bed time story for children either never had it in their hand or need to have their head checked out!

2 Likes

maybe, but they usually have underlying morality or good v evil undertones.

There are stories suitable for bed time reading in the bible, and much that is less suitable.
Perhaps you do not know the bible as well as you think you do.

Also, perhaps, talking serpents and magical trees would constitute a fairy-like land?
I would be reluctant to call it real (but that might upset some)

Richard

Normally, neither would I. But I made allowances for the party who referred to “parables” as “fairytales”. When I was twelve, I was given the following “definition” of “parable” by a Sunday School teacher: "A parable is an ‘earthly story’ with a ‘heavenly meaning’. That definition was useful then and still is, IMO, today.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.