Why Do People Tend to Accept the Dominant Faith in Their Geographical Location?

I’m not sure what percentage you mean by the vague word “countless”, but it is certainly not universal. In fact, when it comes to infants and the cognitively impaired most Christians would (I am guessing) concede that they are at least hopeful that in these cases P is not necessary for Q. Then there are those who look at Rom 1:20 and see a path for salvation for those who never hear the gospel, a path wherein one sees (or is caused to see) God’s attributes in creation. And then there are those as I suggested who have a strong view of God’s sovereignty and would say this scenario from the old CCC (from memory)

Tom and Bill (student missionaries) were on their way to the village but their car broke down. After repairs they arrived at the village a day late. They shared the gospel and many responded and added to the flock. They were happy. But on the way out a woman of the village told them: “thank you so much, I only wish that you were here yesterday so my father could have heard the gospel, but he died last night.” The missionaries were devastated. If they had been more diligent about the small things, like checking their vehicle ahead of time, the old man might have had a chance.

is (to some) instinctively nonsensical, as it paints God as sitting on his hands and saying: “Gee I’d have liked to save that man, but those two boys on a summer missions trip broke down, so there is nothing I can do.”

In short, there is a wide variety of views on soteriology. You are painting with too broad of a brush.

1 Like

Most people hold views in conformity to some group; some hold views in opposition to some group; some have thought through views and accepted them based on their assessing. On various topics, any one person will probably have some combination of these three. Although this does challenge certain Christian claims, it equally challenges many others, including pop militant atheism like Dawkins’.

As C. S. Lewis pointed out, this tells us nothing about the reliability of the beliefs in question or the quality of that individual’s belief.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.