Why Can’t God Intervene?

Depends on what is meant by that. When I describe God as existing outside of space and time I mean that space and time are created things from which God is wholly distinct.

When the potter makes a pot … that is an intervention.

When the architect makes the potters workshot… that’s an intervention.

When God makes the planet where the architect lives … THAT’s an intervention too.

The term “intervention” is not a 4 letter word.

Paul said quoting a pagan poet, “In Him (God) we love and move, and have our being.” and of course Jesus is God, so I do not think that God is outside of or separate from,space and time. Thus God does not intervene in God’s universe. ,

Doesn’t that make the builder part of the framing of the house?

@SMittelstaedt

The Builder is not a part of the house, but the Builder is the Owner of the house.

And this is my point. God is distinct from the things He creates. Since space and time are created things, any action taken within the fabric of those things is inherently an intervention.

The death of Lazarus was a natural event, as with any disease process that runs it’s course to whatever condition people find themselves in. This event occurs within space and time. If God acts within space and time to undo the event or transform the result, that is an intervention.

To say God does not intervene is to assert the miracles of Jesus did not occur. And we might as well all be deists.

1 Like

Much too much time quibbling over the word “intervene”…

… when Ford MADE cars … was it an INTERVENTION if he designed them to be steered by the driver?

A miracle is by definition a sign or a “message” from God. An intervention is an event. When we focus on the event/intervention we overlook the message, which is the purpose of the miracle.

A miracle cannot send a message without being unexpected. The miracle of the loaves and fishes was certainly an intervention… otherwise, there would have been an ordinary day with only enough food to feed a handful.

@gbrooks9

So what was the message?

The message of the Loaves and Fishes is to show that God can provide, even when it is impossible to think he can.

If you want to see a different message … I’m fine with that. But the undeniable aspect is that God intervened to make it happen - - whether he “violated” or merely “manipulated” the laws of nature.

@gbrooks9

God provides through natural means. "Behold the lilies of the field… "

@Relates

This view is my preference as well.

So I PREFER the idea that the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs was set in motion, ultimately, at the creation of the Universe - - full of nothing but energy and hydrogen.

And I think the vectors and frequency of cosmic (and other) radiation hitting on genetic molecules were also planned at the very moment of creation.

@gbrooks9

It took much more than a great deal of thought to create the universe. It takes a lot of Love also.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.