Who Cares? Why?

Who was this guy? How do we know? History? The NT? Is there scientific verifcation we can use to learn about his identity? Is blind faith required? Why are there so many different opinions about who He was/is? After 2,000 years, why does He still remain the focus of attention of millions of people whether believers, non-believers, historians, scholars, your average bears? Why isn’t there greater agreement across the board about what we can say about him with certainty? Mythcists insist Jesus Christ never existed, period. If He was God, why are so many things about him so hard to understand? If He wasn’t God, what/who was He then? What makes him so challenging to figure out? He is the most scrutinized human ever. Why?
Who was He and why do you believe it?

Why indeed! That question is good for rhetorical reflection.

I once heard it compared to this: wherever you have a light in the dark, lots of moths gather.

And I gathered that the speaker of that thought wasn’t complimenting the moths on their necessarily being great (or even good) things in and of themselves. Taken as a whole, we are a bunch of crazies just as any large family could boast of having. But there is a light we keep circling around.

Who else provides words of truth about so many important things? He made a way for us. May we have the courage to follow in his steps and to venture out where he directs. I can’t use other stuff to “prove” him to you somehow. To adapt a Lewisian thought: It is by his light that I hope to see other things.

1 Like

For me personally it depends on how you define blind faith. I don’t think there is any scientific evidence to believe in God and I don’t think there is any actual concrete evidence to believe in Jesus. I think it all requires faith. It’s by faith I believe that Jesus existed abd it’s by faith that I believe the Bible reflects him and his teachings.

I think the main reason why he is talked about so much is because of the overwhelming amount of Christians in the world and how many of them are trying to e force some degree of theocracy.

God.

Faith.

No.

If we believe what it says.

No.

No. Blind faith means ignoring evidence to the contrary. How can there be evidence to the contrary regarding something which is unfalsifiable?

Because this is not something we can isolate, measure, dissect, or control like we can with the things we study in science.

Good question. See all the above for answers.

What kind of God do you believe in? One as small as microbe you can put under a microscope? I believe in an infinite God. I do not expect there to be many things about Him which are easy to understand. I expect that to take an eternity.

God. I guess I am just enamored with this idea from Philippians 2:6 of a God caring nothing for power and knowledge that He would discard it all to become a helpless human infant. The impotence I see in power and knowledge makes the idea of such a God attractive to me. For more reasons go here.

3 Likes

It is the most amazing paradox, the most amazing thing in the universe. God almighty became a helpless infant.
I love Judge Judy. She cares for children and as a former family court judge in NYC, she did not allow dead beat parents to get away with anything. That’s how she was discovered. Ed Bradley of 60 Minutes heard about this no nonsense ball of fire who wouldn’t take grief from parents who were used to working the system. They did a piece on her and she was discovered and has made literally hundreds of millions of dollars by being the judge she always was. In real life she is a refined lady.

Anywho, I love it when she listens to some cockimamie story and announces, “I believe you! No one would think to make up something that ridiculous. You must be telling the truth!”

That’s the gospel. It is impossible. Preposterous. Outrageous. It must be true.

Do you imagine what we have in written form about him from 2,000 years ago is mostly, or all, lies or pure fiction for entertainment value? Someone hallucinating? Couple of clever dudes looking for a way to make a lot of money by creating such a goofy story?

I believe that Jesus existed snd was born of a Virgin snd was the only begotten son of God and that he preformed miracles and so on and I believe what was written about him was true. I just believe it by faith. I don’t believe it because of hard evidence.

3 Likes

Hold on just a minute. R u sure? Psychology is a science and I believe we can apply principles of psycholgy that yield scientific evidence that He was God.

Forgive me Bio, but I have to say, Simone Biles, you are a champion through and through. You are one of the most sensational, remarkable, talented and humble athletes in the history of the world. Stand tall, kiddo. We are extremely proud of you. You don’t have to compete one more time. You have proven what you are over and over. Thanks for the Show. Absolutely amazing!

Yes.

I do not.

Well now, that is fascinating. What convinces you that there cannot be any scientific evidence that Jesus was God?

I don’t believe in a God which can be isolated, measured, dissected, or controlled. Any such so called evidence would only convince me that Jesus was an alien and not God after all.

Frankly I don’t think you are really talking about scientific evidence. I think you are talking about rhetoric which seeks to appropriate scientific terminology and results for its conclusions – in other words, pseudoscience.

1 Like

Truth about God couldn’t isolate, measure, dissect or control God. Truth about God can only glorify him. Truth about God can only serve to magnify his greatness. How can God be controlled? Evidence that God is adorns the universe. God doesn’t hide who He is. God isn’t ashamed of himself.

God does not want his existence to be scientifically provable.

Why there is no proof of God

That’s a pity because life is teeming with proof that God is.

There is plenty of evidence pointing to the existence of God, but there is no scientific proof. There is a distinction to be made, and the source of a common mistake.

The heavens declare the glory of God,
    and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.
Day to day pours out speech,
    and night to night reveals knowledge.

Psalm 19:1-2

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities – his eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Romans 1:20

“The Lord God is subtle, but malicious he is not." Einstein

They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, the time is coming when anyone who kills you will think they are offering a service to God.

Even Saul/Paul. Don’t be surprised boys when you will sacrifice your lives for me. Part of the plan. Excuse me, Jesus, but what in the world are you talking about? We are about to establish your kingdom on earth. You are the messiah. Are you saying we will die in battle to set you on your throne?

Einstein was not a theist. He used the word “God” as a synonym for nature.

Remark made during Einstein’s first visit to Princeton University (April 1921) as quoted in Einstein (1973) by R. W. Clark, Ch. 14. “God is slick, but he ain’t mean” is a variant translation of this (1946) Unsourced variant: “God is subtle but he is not malicious.”

When asked what he meant by this he replied. “Nature hides her secret because of her essential loftiness, but not by means of ruse.” (Die Natur verbirgt ihr Geheimnis durch die Erhabenheit ihres Wesens, aber nicht durch List.) As quoted in Subtle is the Lord — The Science and the Life of Albert Einstein (1982) by Abraham Pais einsteinandreligion.com Einstein's Faith

Source: Albert Einstein quote: “Subtle is the Lord, but malicious He is not.”

I guess the answer to my question, “Who cares?” and “Why?” doesn’t generate much interest. Perhaps because I’m an outsider, I haven’t gotten over the fascination with the reality that God is and that we, I, anyone, can actually know him, speak to him and be heard by him. That he cares about us and knows us thoroughly and wants intimacy with us.

This man/God who claimed to be God and God’s son, if He is who they quoted him to be, is the most incredible person who ever lived.

Subjective evidence only, which means people see very different things when they look at the universe. This is perfectly obvious in the religious diversity of mankind.

Nor does God force Himself on everyone.

Nor is He insecure that He must have everyone acknowledge and pay attention to Him.

And this is why Jesus Christ is the coolest Being ever: You, yes You, can discover for yourself if He is the Great I Am. On your own you can ask him in no uncertain terms, Are You the very Son of God? If you come to know Him, you will be knowing God Himself. Millions upon millions have come to know Jesus through receiving him. He is different than you imagine, too, I can almost guarantee it because no matter what you think, He is greater, more wonderful, more tender hearted, and more beautiful. He is not from this planet. He popped by briefly, held up a mirror, showed us what we are like compared to him. It isn’t pretty. And then He invites us to partake in Who He is.

1 Like