Where does one find fellowship?

Where does that come from I wonder. I do too, especially in the fall for some reason. Probably some highly successful advertising.

We were both kids watching Lassie listening to ā€œSoup and Sandwichā€¦ā€

2 Likes

Oh no, not down a well again! Oh well soup and sandwiches once Timmy is safe again.

2 Likes

@MarkD, @William_Grady, and @jpm , Iā€™m trying really hard to avoid stretching this ā€œcheeseyā€ tangent even farther, but my will-power is melting, and just about to slide off the buttery toasted bread into my ā€¦ā€¦ tomato soup. Maybe we need a ā€œSoup and Sandwichā€ thread.

2 Likes

Like mindedā€¦

Thereā€™s merit in finding different views. I dont suppose i share many views with anyone hetr

Many of us are ā€œin between,ā€ even if weā€™re regularly attending a church. (Sounds just like surveys on unsatisfied employees.) Terri thoughts. I plan on listening again to that Biologos podcast with ā€œAsk Mike,ā€ Whoo ministers to such folk. Second, we have a great small group of intimate friends where ideas and feelings are shared, even disagreements, in trust and love. Find such a group. You may have to do the spade work.

3 Likes

A lot of people are in that place as you state, but it is difficult to find a group of like minded people you can trust and share with in many areas. I think online groups help, so long as they do not become gripe sections and pity parties.

3 Likes

Bingo, it is very difficult to find that group. I once had it years ago when I lived in another city. If I could find it again, then ā€œwhere I worshipā€ would bother me very little, thatā€™s just an event I go to once a week.

Phil, thanks for your response. Thinking through it, Iā€™m interested in your definition of ā€œlike minded people.ā€ If I understand you correctly, Iā€™m less concerned about like minded people in my small group than people I can trust, share my most intimate thoughts, feel accepted, and heard, considered. Although an ā€œevangelical,ā€ in the classic sense (not the populist reputation), I have a great, trusted, ongoing discussion with a good Catholic friend of mine. Our small group is similar: 6 people; 1 is a Presbyterian, 2 are Mennonite (MCUSA), and 2 are transitioning out of Mennonite cultural attitudes while still embracing Anabaptism. Then, thereā€™s meā€¦

2 Likes

I think if you can trust and feel accepted, that is like minded enough. I am finding that is pretty rare and precious.

5 Likes

One of the most awesome churches I ever attended was a black inner city church, or at least primarily black because of ā€œwhite flightā€. It was very ā€œhigh churchā€ with liturgy that made the installation of a new pope as shown on TV look ordinary while having a choir that sang everything from Gospel to Gregorian. But the thing I loved about it the most was that a good number of members had a ā€œbrokenness radarā€ that could pick up on who was hurting through the best layers of masks and ā€œIā€™m fine!ā€ performance drama ā€“ quite different from so many churches where itā€™s the nicely-dressed well-to-do who get welcomed, these people put on their very best to make the broken feel at home.

3 Likes

I once heard the Initial Singularity described as God sticking His finger into a place that was not yet a place and puncturing the not-a-place so that everything exploded through.

That would be ĪŗĪ±Ļ„ĪµĻ…Ī»ĪæĪ³Ī­Ļ‰ ā€“ Greek, not Hebrew.
Interestingly, the Hebrew word, " ב×Øך" comes from the root meaning ā€œkneeā€, and can be translated ā€œkneeā€, ā€œkneelingā€, or ā€œblessā€. Also interestingly, ĪŗĪ±Ļ„ĪµĻ…Ī»ĪæĪ³Ī­Ļ‰ (kat-eu-log-EH-oe) can mean ā€œpraiseā€; the root meaning is ā€œspeak (very) well ofā€.

Thatā€™s the only way I like tomato soup!

2 Likes

The GOD Who Relates is alive and well in the lives of GODā€™s People.

1 Like