What's an "Evolving Evangelical"?

It is appropriate to point out that language is the only way that we can present our particular perspectives of what we all believe is reality. Wittgenstein comes to mind when we discuss how we use words and language, and at one time I think he equated language with reality. Scientist usually take the view that the meaning of any word is communicated using other words. The importance of language is especially so when we discuss other people and ourselves, and as Merv is fond of saying, this area can (and does) get messy.

While I think Brad has not made a serious error in his article, I think Gregory is enthusiastically (and perhaps sharply) making a wider point, Thus “The Evolving Evangelical” did, when I thought about it, invoke all sorts of images and meanings that are outside the meaning Brad had in mind. Perhaps “Changes in Outlooks amongst Evangelicals on Biological Evolution” may be the intended meaning, although it is clumsy compared to the sharp and perhaps provocative one by Brad. On the wider topic of evolution, language is used at times to mean anything a person wants, and is unhelpful when discussing science, and a hinderance when discussing theological matters.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 4 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.