What use is the idea of soul? What is a soul like?

I feel that once we hit these parts there is no scientific reasoning to it. Faith, even if it’s not completely blind faith, is still faith and part of being a christian.

After all dozens of beliefs exist in many faiths that are similar. Why believe in Sampson and not Hercules. Why believe in our God but not Zeus. Is there any scientific reason to believe a man has ever brought back men from death simply by commanding it or walking on water.

I don’t think the ancient Hebrews had anymore divine understanding of how the spirit works than when do.

It’s our and religion and by our faith that we believe life goes on after death and that somehow we will be like a Christ and still alive and living for eternity in some fashion and able to continue to experience life.

I think for many they get upset when they have to state yes there is things in my faith that there is no evidence for that I believe no matter how I may be able to explain away this or that. He does say we will be foolish to the eyes of the world.

And I believe in body, mind, and spirit. Body and mind being two physical living organisms, while only the spirit is not physical.

And I have told you over and over again, it is demonstrable that spirits (or souls) and consciousness has nothing to do with observers in quantum physics. It is the measuring device that makes the difference in the experiments and a conscious observer has no effect whatsoever.

To use a common reference, Wikipedia (though you can follow links to the texts)

The need for the “observer” to be conscious is not supported by scientific research, and has been pointed out as a misconception rooted in a poor understanding of the quantum wave function ψ and the quantum measurement process, apparently being the generation of information at its most basic level that produces the effect.

Incorrect. The wave equation is deterministic but interactions with a measuring device, the so called wave collapse, is demonstrably not deterministic. So no, the wave function is not absolutely deterministic when it interacts to become coupled with large numbers of other wave functions as happens when a measuring device is used.

I did read something from his Discourse in a survey course in my first year at Cal. But I was never much interested in anything he wrote.

Thank you for accommodating me with the QM example. I note that the wave function and its equation are a description of the puppet’s path, and not something intrinsic to the puppet. I’m not sure what inference, if any, I should draw about objects in themselves based on equations describing an object’s location. Similarly if I successfully conceptualize the soul, may I then place my interest in those concepts rather than the soul? I think the soul is better conceived as an Other about which I do not know -and cannot know- everything. There is also a sense in which I am my soul but that obscures differences. The soul doesn’t depend for its nature on my choices, though its vitality can be enhanced or adversely affected by them. There is a kind of dance that goes on between our thinking mind and the soul. But openness to it is more important than describing it by the best possible concepts. Personally I feel like I’m skating out at the thin edge of making any sense. I think I will withdraw for a bit to let things settle.

2 Likes

The puppet and strings is not a very good analogy because quantum object are not just manipulated by the wave, they are the wave. It is demonstrable that the quantum object doesn’t have these quantities such as a particular position except that the measuring device changes them to give them such things (often just at that moment only). Some measured quantities like photon polarization and electron spin are stable and others like position are not. So when you measure polarization (photon) or spin (electron) in the same direction two times in a row you get the same result, but not so in the case of the position of an electron.

1 Like

lol, and as I have told you over and over, about half of the physics community disagrees with you. I find your categorical statements that Consciousness plays no role in the observer/measurment problem to be lacking any explanation for how Quantum works in the absence of consciousness. Without this explanation, your statements are merely the moving of your lips (or keyboard as the case may be.) Maybe you should remind me of your interpretive scheme for quantum.

You should at least acknowledge that your view is neither a consensus nor a proven position. Some example of people who disagree with your claim:

"The various universes must be considered to be in some sense “parallel” or coexisting realities. Any given observer will, of course, see only one of them, but we must suppose that the conscious states of the observer will be part of the differentiation process, so that each of the many alternative worlds will carry copies of the minds of the observers. " Paul Davies, The Mind of God, (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1992), p. 217

Nevertheless, some physicists seriously consider the possibility that quantum mechanics hints of a mysterious connection of conscious observation with the physical world. Eugene Wigner, one of the later developers of quantum theory and a winner of a Nobel Prize in physics, created a version of the cat story suggesting an even stronger involvement of the conscious observer with the physical world than does Schrodinger’s story.
“…”
Wigner speculated that collapse happens at the very last stage of the observation process, that his friend’s human consciousness collapsed the physical system’s wavefunction. Going even further, he speculated that human conscious awareness might actually “reach out”-in some unexplained way-and change the physical state of a system."
“You can’t prove otherwise. All we know is that someplace on the scale between big molecules and humans there is this mysterious process of observation and collapse. Conceivably, it’s indeed at the last step, at awareness.” Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner, Quantum Enigma, (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006), p. 120

"The Bohm interpretation seems to conflict with special relativity, but we do not see this as an insurmountable problem. Bohm himself did not believe his innterpretation avoids physics’ encounter with consciousness. In their highly techniical l993 book on quantum theory, The Undivided Universe, whose title emphasizes the universal connectedness and the non separability of the microscopic from the macroscopic, Bohm and Basil Hiley write:

Throughout this book it has been our position that the quantum theory itself can be understood without bringing in consciousness and that as far as research in physics is concerned, at least in the present general period, this is probably the best approach. However, the intuition that consciousness and quantum theory are in some sense related seems to be a good one, and for this reason we feel it is appropriate to include in this book a discussion of what this relationship might be.’ (Emphasis added.)"
Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner, Quantum Enigma, (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006), p. 164-165

Zurek was involved in founding decoherence view which is claimed to solve the observer/measurement problem.

"n essence, the many-worlds interpretation does not address, but only postpones, the key question. *The quantum-classical boundary is pushed all the way towards the observer, right against the border between the material universe and the consciousness, leaving it at a
very uncomfortable place to do physics. " Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical REVIEWS OF MODERN PHYSICS, VOLUME 75, JULY 2003, p. 717

"The study of the relationship between the quantum and the classical has been, for a long time, focused almost entirely on measurements. However, the problem of measurement is difficult to discuss without observers. And once the observer enters, it is often hard to avoid its ill-understood anthropic attributes such as consciousness, awareness, and the ability to perceive." Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical REVIEWS OF MODERN PHYSICS, VOLUME 75, JULY 2003, p. 725

But importantly Zurek’s Decoherence view, he assumes, without proving it that mental functions can be modeled by quantum. Frauchiger and Renner’s theoretical work and Proietti et al’s experimental confirmation of Frauchiger and Renner prove that mental processes are NOT modelable in quantum.

“The higher functions of observers, e.g., consciousness, etc., may be at present poorly understood, but it is safe to assume that they reflect physical processes in the information-processing hardware of the brain. Hence mental processes are in effect objective, since they must reflect conditional quantum dynamics of open system-observer’s network of neurons and, hence leave an indelible imprint on the environment.” Wojciech Hubert Zurek: decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical REVIEWS OF MODERN PHYSICS, VOLUME 75, JULY 2003, p 763

Frauchiger and Renner’s work, entitled, Quantum theory cannot consistently describe the use of itself, is discussed here in accessible form https://www.quantamagazine.org/frauchiger-renner-paradox-clarifies-where-our-views-of-reality-go-wrong-20181203/

do you comprehend what that means? Minds use quantum and quantum can’t be used to describe a mind using quantum. This has been experimentally confirmed and that means decoherence is false because it depends upon minds using quantum being modelable by quantum, which has been proven false. If the mental processes can’t be modeled by quantum, then mind is not subject to the laws of physics and the observer IS playing a special role in quantum.

Sigh, you wrote:
"Incorrect. The wave equation is deterministic but interactions with a measuring device, the so called wave collapse, is demonstrably not deterministic. "

I don’t know why you would disagree with me. I said the wave function is absolutely deterministic, which is exactly what you said. sheesh. If you look at the wave function, it has NO mathematical way to collapse to a given solution. What you describe above, with coupled wave functions is decoherence, which I just showed is not correct. Furthermore, Von Neuman pointed out that any physical object subject to quantum, becomes entangled/coupled with other wave functions. But waves are linearly addable, and the Shrodinger equation just adds the new wave and keeps calculating. What you are missing is von Neuman’s chain where everything in the universe should be coupled because the mathematics of the Schrodinger equation has no inherent collapse mechanism, not even if it is coupled to everything in the universe.

"Here the controversies over the interpretation of quantum mechanics start. For most people, a state like that of equation 5 does not represent the actual occurrence of an observation. They conceive the apparatus to have entered a kind of schizophrenic state in which it is unable to decide what value it has found for the system observable. At the same time they can not deny that the coupling chosen between system and apparatus would, in the classical theory, have led to a definite outcome. They therefore face a crisis. How can they prod the apparatus into making up its mind? "

“The usual suggestion is to introduce a second apparatus to get at the facts simply by looking at the first apparatus to see what it has recorded. But an analysis carried out along the above lines quickly shows that the second apparatus performs no better than the first. It too goes into a state of schizophrenia. The same thing happens with a third apparatus, and a fourth, and so on. This chain, known as "von Neumann’s catastrophe of infinite regression,” only makes the crisis worse. Bryce Dewitt,Quantum Mechanics and Reality, PHYSICS TODAY /SEPTEMBER 1970, p. 30- 31

If you really want to go againse Bryce Dewitt, be my guest.

Here is maybe a more accessible explanation for those trying to make sense of this:
He considered a measuring apparatus, a Geiger counter, for example. It is isolated from the rest of the world but makes contact with a quantum system, say, an atom simultaneously in two boxes. This Geiger counter is set to fire if the atom is in the top box and to remain unfired if the atom is in the bottom box. Von Neumann showed that if the Geiger counter is a physical system governed by quantum mechanics, it would enter ‘a superposition state with the atom’ [meaning that they should be viewed as one combined system, hence with one active (un-collapsed) Schrodinger equation-grm,gs] and be, simultaneously, in a fired and an unfired state.

Should a second isolated measuring apparatus come into contact with the Geiger counter - for example, an electronic device recording whether the Geiger counter has fired - it joins the superposition state and records both situations existing simultaneously. This so-called ‘von Neumann chain’ can continue indefinitely. Von Neumann showed that no physical system obeying the laws of physics (i.e., quantum theory) could collapse a superposition state wave function to yield a particular result. " Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner, Quantum Enigma, (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006), p. 184

Let’s say that again, von Neuman showed that no physical system obeying the laws of physics (i.e., quantum) could collapse a superposition state wave function to yield a particular result! that means decoherence is wrong from the get-go as is your idea that coupleing to other things causes collapse. for those who don’t know both von Neuman and Bryce Dewitt were giants in the field.

edited to add. My guess is Mitch that you CAN’T allow an observer into your world view of the quantum because you place a barrier between the spiritual and material and say nothing spiritual can affect the material. this comes from your often cited 'God can’t violate his natural law" and if God can’t, then neither can the lesser spirits. In doing so, you have a philosophical bias against consciousness as the collapser of the wavelet. London and Bauer note that consciousness is the only thing which can know it’s own state and separate it self from von Neumann’s chain:

" The observer has a completely different impression. For him it is only the object x and the apparatus y that belong to the external world, to what he calls ‘objectivity.’ By contrast he has with himself relations of a very special character. He possesses a characteristic and quite familiar faculty which we can call the ‘faculty of introspection.’ He can keep track from moment to moment of his own state. By virtue of this ‘immanent knowledge’ he attributes to himself the right to create his own objectivity." … Thus it is not a mysterious interaction between the apparatus and the object that produces a new [state] for the system during the measurement. It is only the consciousness of an ‘I’ who can separate himself from the former [wavefunction] and, by virtue of his observation, set up a new objectivity in attributing to the object henceforward a new function. " Fritz London and Edmond Bauer, The Theory of Observation in Quantum Mechanics, in John Wheeler and Wojciech Hubert Zurek, Quantum Theory and Measurement, (Princeton: Princeton University Press 1983) p. 252.

Is all you do is throw rocks at people? Come up with a better analogy for someone like Mark than I did and stop throwing rocks!

Yes, even though my analogy was panned by the local rock thrower, you kinda got the essence and you got what I was trying to communicate to get you started rather than confuse you with polarization stuff. .I wanted you to understand collapse. After that other things can be dealt with.

The wave function determine where the object is. The mathematical square of each point in the wavefunction is the probability of where that object will be.

I will look forward to when you come back Mark

1 Like

That simply isn’t true. The physics community goes with what the experiments demonstrate and not what is claimed by popular writers and philosophers – many quoted out of context at that.

Incorrect. Philosophy has NOTHING to do with this. I will not replace the actual physics with either your or my philosophical opinions. The issue is that even if your conclusions are the same as mine this doesn’t validate arguments which are not sound, let alone misrepresentations of the science.

To expand on my previous explanation, there are measurements in quantum physics which are incompatible like position and momentum, or like the spin of an electron in perpendicular directions. These give rise to uncertainty principles so that the more you know about one the less you know about the other. So if you pin down an electron to a precise position its momentum becomes highly unknown, thus making it more difficult to know where it will be a second later. Likewise if you measure the spin of an electron in say the x direction, then a subsequent measure of the spin in the y direction will give completely random results.

Very difficult since everyday things just don’t behave that way!

But ok… Shall we say that an electron is like a big ball of cotton and measuring its position squashes the cotton ball down to a point, only to have burst out again to a cotton ball even bigger than before? The results of these measurements of position are predicted by the cotton ball only as a probability distribution, more likely where the cotton is dense and less likely where the cotton is not so dense.

For incompatible measurements we might try a water balloon which passes through a hole part of it is on one side and part on the other. To measure one property you squash down the balloon on one side only to have the balloon get bigger on the other side.

1 Like

Once again mitch you avoid explaining how collapse happens without consciousness. You also fail to acknowledge the very obvious fact that many physicists do believe that consciousness is required for the collapse and continue to act like only your interpretation is the one held by physics. You have failed to explain the von Neuman chain. In the Wigner thread, you failed to address the mathematics I put out, and yet act as if you know quantum well. I don’t think you do.

You haven’t dealt with Frauchiger and Renner, you haven’t dealt with the discontinuity of a wave equation which would calculate to the end of the universe, suddenly stopping, changing state and starting its machinations again–always in the presence of an observer. You haven’t dealt with the fact that unobserved systems can not be said to have collapsed, because know one knows the state of the unobserved system. You haven’t dealt with Euan Squire’s demonstration of a contradiction if minds are subject to quantum. It is in the Wigner thread.

In other words, I present issues and you just ignore them. this is exactly how YECs behaved when I used to show them geologic data. I quit dealing with people who won’t deal with data I present because it is a waste of my time to do all this work to have it uncommented on and merely stated to be untrue.

More things for you to ignore:

"The results of these experiments do support a solution of the measurement problem that gives a special status for conscious observation in the measurement process. " D.J. Bierman, “DOES CONSCIOUSNESS COLLAPSE THE WAVE FUNCTION” Mind and Matter1-1 (nov. 2003), p. 8 https://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0312/0312115.pdf

A conceptual replication of the Hall-experiment to test the ‘subjective reduction’ interpretation of the measurement problem in Quantum Physics is reported. Two improvements are introduced. First the delay between preobservation and final observation of the same quantum event is increased from a few microseconds in the original experiment to 1 second in this replication. Second, rather than using the observers conscious response as the dependent variable, we use the early brain responses as measured by EEG. These early responses cover a period where the observer is not yet conscious of the quantum event. Results support the ‘subjective reduction’ hypothesis because significant difference between the brain responses of the final observer are found dependent upon the pre-observer looking or not looking at the quantum event (exact binomial p < 0.02). Alternative ‘normal’ explanations are discussed and rejected. It is concluded that the present results do justify further research along these lines. D.J. Bierman, “DOES CONSCIOUSNESS COLLAPSE THE WAVE FUNCTION” Mind and Matter1-1 (nov. 2003), p. 1 https://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0312/0312115.pdf

"It is therefore possible to assume that the unitary mechanics applies to the entire physical universe and that wave function collapse occurs at the last possible moment, in the mind itself. This, of course, assumes a non-physical mind.

**The rules of quantum mechanics are correct but there is only one system which may be treated with quantum mechanics, namely the entire material world. There exist external observers which cannot be treated within quantum mechanics, namely human (and perhaps animal) minds, which perform measurements on the brain causing wave function collapse." Zvi Schrieber, "The Nine Lives of Schrodinger’s Cat, University of London: MS Thesis, Oct 1994, p. 46 https://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/9501014v5.pdf

Of the collapse being discontinuous, this article is a hilarious refutation of decoherence, but he makes some fascinating points along the way. The wave function collapse is outside of the equations of quantum, which consist of the Schrodinger equation. Unitary means deterministic–the outcome is predicted to the end of time, except observation breaks the determinism:

*hile the experimenter turns on the apparatus and monitors its smooth functioning, the theoretician follows the smooth evolution of the statevector according to Schroodinger’s equation. Suddenly, the experimenter sings out “An event has occurred, and this is the result.” Abruptly, the theoretician stops his calculation, replaces the statevector, which has by now become the sum of states corresponding to different possible outcomes of the experiment, by the one state which the experimenter told him had actually occurred, and then continues his calculation of the smooth evolution of the statevector.
In other words, the practitioner of SQT must go outside the theory, to obtain additional information, in order to use the theory correctly. What is missing is that the theory doesn’t give the probability that an event occurs between t and t + dt." Phillip Pearle, True Collapse or False Collapse, https://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/9805049.pdf p.2

Quantum is not a complete theory because of this discontinuity. A complete theory would not refer to humans at all.

Bohr and Heisenberg argued for the observer collapsing the wavefunction, but you can ignore that as well.

At a meeting in Copenhagen in 1927, two of the founders of quantum mechanics, Niels Bohr and Werner Heisenberg, suggested that until quantum particles are observed they exist as “wave functions” that can contain a superposition of many properties. But when an observer makes a measurement, the wave function collapses - yielding a particle that behaves classically.” Zeeya Merali, “Quantum Reality, Darwinian Style,” New Scientist, June 30, 2007, p. 18

Nonsense. The demonstrable result is that the collapse happens when the measuring device extracts the information and the presence of a conscious observer makes no alteration in the results whatsoever. This isn’t a matter of interpretation. It is conclusive. How you explain the mathematics can NEVER change this basic fact!

The most that your quote mining will prove is that you can find justification for your rhetoric, exactly the same way that creationist have been doing for decades. None of it changes the basic facts which is that when they speak of an observer they mean a measuring device and the presence or absence of an conscious observer makes no difference whatsoever.

1 Like

:joy: :rofl: :sweat_smile:

It looks like rereading is in order for one participant here:

Wigner's Friend, the existence of the immaterial soul and death of materialism - #195 by gbob

All this concentrated on perhaps one or two points. First I suggest that trying to employ the language of quantum mechanics is fraught with difficulties because of our inadequate understand of these concepts
You could perhaps get more insight by looking at other questions. For one we can’t agree on when we get a spiritual soul. If at fertilization, we are faced with the fact that billions of beings never come to term. Few even implant. So what does God do with all those immortal souls? The better question is, why would the Creator set things up so as to have to deal with them
As for demanding that consciousness requires something spiritual, one is stuck with whether dolphins and gorillas go to heaven! For they clearly have consciousness. Even sel consciousness

In fact the is good evidence that evolution has gradually developed humans from close relatives Dis Neanderthals go to heaven?

Stanislas Dehane and colleagues have done ground breaking work in determining research on consciousness and unconsciousness and are close to showing how the brain produces it

So let’s not once again make the god of the gaps mistake of saying science can’t explain this

The final question is perhaps the most perplexing: what is the function of the spiritual soul. Not an easy one to answer unless as Steven Barr says it’s needed to think. Hmmmmm

To me the idea of a soul is attractive, but it needs substantial modification

Perhaps it is gods loving knowledge of each of us?

In my view all living things have spirits because all living things make choices and it is the choices which create the spirit. However there is very clearly a big difference between the spirit of an amoeba and the spirit of a human being.

I don’t see why God has to do anything with any of the spirits of living things. The only question is whether they have it within them to grow and live or not, and ultimately that is going to require a connection with the source of life in God. I think many will quite possibly be adopted by others in a mutual choice as spirit children or pets.

Yes consciousness is a property of life itself. Which is not to say all consciousness is equal – not even in human beings.

It is now pretty clearly established that neanderthals are homo sapiens and many of us are descended in part from them (certainly all white and asian people). But is DNA all it takes to be human? I don’t think so. I think there is a memetic inheritance from God which came to us through Adam and Eve. So I don’t think any of them were human but that doesn’t mean we won’t find them in heaven. A heaven with only humans (and angels) in it doesn’t sound very heavenly to me.

Well I think what we will find is that things are lot more complicated than we imagined and consciousness is more than we thought – that we really didn’t know enough to even ask the right questions.

It is certainly a question under considerable dispute. I certainly don’t think it is possible that anything non-physical can play a consistent substantial role in affecting events in the physical universe. Thus I think the vast majority of causality goes in the other direction.

That is a good idea Mr. Keller, but I am doing it now with the issue of free will, not the contentious issue of when we get a soul.

Choice? What’s that? How does it differ from free will? Does God have it? What [spirit creating] choices do amoebae make?

Thanks for the responses. But to a scientist your points essentially say
Science has no standing when thinking about theology. Do you still really think there were two progenitors of humans?

Adam and Eve is a useful, even beautiful myth but is almost certainly couldn’t have happened. And individual immortal souls don’t seem to be interchangeable

BioLogos is supposed to be admitting our increasing knowledge of creation, but apparently not?

1 Like

Free will is another that needs a bit of science. The research again by Stanislavsky Deheane indicates it to be essentially a non problem For while it is true most of our decision making is automatic and/or driven by our biology, the unconscious and conscious is constantly making decisions on its total input and thus one of the main functions of the brain it to exert “free will”. That’s just what it does!

1 Like

Ironically, I’d be more receptive to it if all the historical claims were simply set aside and the Bible was left to speak for itself unencumbered by arguments over historicity. Eternal truths shouldn’t depend on historic grounding. If The Princess Bride can stand on its merits without documentation, why shouldn’t the Bible be able to do the same? All the legalistic sounding arguments kill the message.

1 Like

Mr. Keller, you need to be using the reply to button at the bottom of the post to whom you are replying I don’t know if you are asking this of me or someone else, but I will answer.

Yes, I do believe in an initial pair, but it was long ago around 5.5 myr ago because that is what the science says about the ages of the oldest genes found in the human population. references found on my blog

gene--------------age of the gene
Tap2------------------5.36 myr
ERAP------------------5.08 myr
green opsin-----------5.5 myr
HERVs-----------------5.0 myr
TRIM5-----------------4-7 myr
Patr-DRB1*03-------4.6 myr
DEFB1----------------4.5 myr
CDSN/PSORS1C1-4.18 myr
ERAP1-----------------4.12 myr
CD151------------------3.83 or 2.14 myr

That is the time hominids first appeared on earth and it is the time of the only flood in geologic history that matches exactly the description of Noah’s flood. Of course you can say this is nuts. But you can’t say science has no standing with theology because I am the one incorporating what science says–just not in a way people like. But as crazy as it sounds, I don’t believe science is what the group thinks. Science is about new ideas, not stale ones.

So, you would prefer biologos be as regulated and boring as the ASA became after Ted Davis shut down their forum? That would truly be a shame.