What is your opinion of Richard Dawkin’s book “The God Delusion”?

One without a religious axe to grind. Unlike Darwin, nothing about Einstein’s life was religious apart from his Catholic primary school.

This startled me so I looked it up - me thinks you overstate. Stalin was considered competent in Russian but hardly a genius.

His contribution to Georgian culture cannot be overstated.

And you are now doing Stalin in four personal interactions.

Both of these are incorrect! There is no excuse for not listening to Einstein’s own words.

Einstein denied that he was an atheist. Isaacson, Walter (2008). Einstein: His Life and Universe . New York: Simon and Schuster, p. 390.

Einstein also denied that he believed in any kind of personal God. Calaprice, Alice (2000). The Expanded Quotable Einstein . Princeton: Princeton University Press, p. 218.

So what did he believe about God? It varies. Agnostic at times. At other times, he went with Spinoza’s pantheist idea of God. But for the most part He was simply a scientist. He believed in the laws of nature and in the scientific method. You would do well to pay close attention to the wording of his famous saying, Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind . In this he is saying that the source of truth is to be found in SCIENCE and from religion the most we can expect is the power and motivation to use what we discover in science for a good purpose.

2 Likes

The quote can’t be read. You need to write, cut and paste the quotes and substantiate your claims.

But I accept that Einstein wasn’t necessarily a strong atheist, a Dawkinsista.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.