What is the soul?

(Mitchell W McKain) #61

The fact that there is some basis to make this claim is why I don’t like the word “soul.” It is too ambiguous and comes from such a variety of belief systems and ideas that I see little value in the word. Thus if we want to talk about the non-physical and imperishable portion of our existence, the word “spirit” is better and Paul really nails this down in 1 Cor 15.

You are certainly free to pay no attention to Paul or Bible. There are many religions in the world. But the belief in a non-physical existence which includes both God and an afterlife is central to the Christian religion. Our ultimate destiny is polarized into heaven and hell by the simple fact that the forces of good/creation and evil/destruction are opposed to each other. You either follow where your bad habits lead to greater degradation or you fight against them and embrace the challenge of life to learn and strive to fulfill your potential for making the world/existence something worthwhile.

As for this bizarre idea of being physically resurrected so that you can be tortured by a sadistic demonic god, well no I don’t see any point to that at all. But I don’t think that is what Christianity is about, any more than I am buying the distortion which has people passing out indulgences and get out of jail free cards in some secret knowledge of “sound doctrine.” Our actions have logical consequences from which there is simply no escape. However there are choices concerning how we can deal with those consequences.

(David Sundaram) #62

It strikes me that folks here may not be aware of the fact that skilled/reputable hypnotic regression therapists have collected and collated a lot of data pertaining to what souls actually encounter and deal with ‘in the afterlife’ - Michael Newton, Ph.D.'s books, Journey of Souls and Destiny of Souls, have struck me as being especially informative.in this regard.

Here’s a snippet describing what’s in Journey of Souls (copied from https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/journey-of-souls-michael-newton/1100398292?ean=9781567184853&st=PLA&sid=BNB_New+Core+Shopping+Top+Margin+EANs&sourceId=PLAGoNA&dpid=tdtve346c&2sid=Google_c&gclid=CjwKCAjwyOreBRAYEiwAR2mSkuVgSwRcGluRZfPfb7WixNwNCE5kEsMgBz6a_IV_0ONHq1xtQn9XlBoCc2IQAvD_BwE#/ ):

"Overview

Journey of Souls: Case Studies of Life Between Lives by Michael Newton

Learn the latest details and most recent groundbreaking discoveries that reveal, for the first time, the mystery of life in the spirit world after death on Earth—proof that our consciousness survives—in Journey of Souls by Michael Newton, PhD.

Using a special hypnosis technique to reach the hidden memories of subjects, Dr. Newton discovered some amazing insights into what happens to us between lives. Journey of Souls is the record of 29 people who recalled their experiences between physical deaths. Through their extraordinary stories, you will learn specifics about:

How it feels to die
What you see and feel right after death
The truth about "spiritual guides"
What happens to "disturbed" souls
Why you are assigned to certain soul groups in the spirit world and what you do there
How you choose another body to return to Earth
The different levels of souls: beginning, intermediate, and advanced
When and where you first learn to recognize soulmates on Earth
The purpose of life

Journey of Souls is a graphic record or “travel log” by these people of what happens between lives on Earth. They give specific details as they movingly describe their astounding experiences.

After reading Journey of Souls, you will gain a better understanding of the immortality of the human soul. You will meet day-to-day challenges with a greater sense of purpose. You will begin to understand the reasons behind events in your own life."

And here a jpeg of the back cover of Destiny of Souls, describing what’s in it:

Michael Newton founded an Institute devoted to providing hypnotherapy to people interested in exploring not just their experiences in prior lives but in the ‘spiritual world’ where souls ‘live’ between lives. Some might find looking his name and work up on the internet quite an enlightening experience. Needless to say what he and his clients discovered (his book are chock full of case-session transcripts!) provide a lot of information whereby ‘traditional religious’ notions pertaining to where souls come from and the afterlife may be seen in perspective.