What is the meaning of the 6 days in exodus 31:17 and 20:11?

ok. I have to leave soon, so can you at least show me one verse right now that uses the word made in the way that you described?

Verses 16, 21, 25 or 26 of Genesis 1 are some examples.

but when he said made in those verses(except 16) it was the first time he created them

God actually didn’t say “made.” You are arguing from an English translation and not the original Hebrew.

For examples of the many ways the Hebrew asah can be translated see Strong's Hebrew: 6213. עָשָׂה (asah) -- accomplish

The sabbath was established at the time the author wrote in Israel and is tied into the created order. Literal or not, God wanted people to clearly understand the importance of the sabbath rest. The more important question to ask in Christianity today, as opposed to fussing over literal interpretations of an ancient creation myth never intended to be taken as such, is why so many Christians today think the sabbath can be dismissed so flippantly. Because Mark portrays Jesus allowing his hungry disciple to pluck grain on the sabbath it no longer applies? Or Paul says we aren’t under the law? Just like marriage, the sabbath was tied into the created order by God. Apparently the need to shop at Walmart on a Sunday takes precedence over giving this day to God.

Vinnie

1 Like

How do you give a day to God

This might be an interesting article for you

Why did the author use creation as a reason to keep the Sabboth?

First, we have to ask if he actually did that, or if he put the Sabboth first, then used creation as an example of God’s desire to have the Sabboth honored. If God had only taken 3 days, would the Sabboth be every 4 day? If he had some some work slowdowns and took 7 days, would we will have the Sabboth every 8 days? Do we take the Sabboth to celebrate God getting a day off from work? Of course not. As Jesus said.
So, I put the same question to those who say we have the Sabboth because of the 6 days of creation, Why did the author use creation as a reason to keep the Sabboth?

By distancing from worldly things (unplug for a bit) and desires and focusing on your spiritual relationship with God and prayer life. Worshipping with family, spending QT with them, learning and growing, studying the Bible, working and planning good deeds and helping others etc.

Vinnie

1 Like

Ok. I get the reason for the sabbath. But again, I’m still wondering why the author said that God made the universe in 6 days, when the creation in fact began before day 1. If creation started before day 1, then God didn’t make the universe in 6 days( or yoms) because he started before the 6 days. I need a better understanding of that. I already understand the sabbath.

Try making a table with two columns and 3 rows. In the first row, put what God does on day one and then in the next cell over put what God does on day four. Then repeat this going down for days 2 and 5 and 3 and 6.

Let me know if anything pops out at you.

Vinnie

Not really. It still doesn’t help me understand. Just because Genesis 1 days are about assigning function, that doesn’t change the definition of made. Is there any evidence that the word made means something else?

I don’t know about you guys, but to me it seems straight forward. God made the universe in the 6 days. Correct me if I’m wrong. The articles don’t explain my questions.

If there is in fact an alternative interpretation, please let me know, and be specific.

Check out Genesis 2:4 just not in the NIV. use the RSV, NRSV or ESV etc…The text says:

In the day that the Lord[a] God made the earth and the heavens…

Vinnie

Seven was a sacred number, and in that culture it had significance beyond simply counting. If you look at the structure of the Genesis text, the author does lots of things with the numbers 7 and 3 and various multiples of those numbers (in the number of words in sentences, the number of times certain words or phrases are repeated, etc.) things that are lost on us in translation and in another culture, but things which would have emphasized God’s holiness and the sacredness of the account in the time it was written.

Have I not been clear already? I KNOW the day can be longer than 24 hours. The 6 days are describing time periods in which God prepared the earth. The word day in Genesis 2:4 is a summary statement for all 6 days. That just is saying in the time period he made the earth. So the word can in fact be used for a summary statement, but that doesn’t change much.

For more insight into seven, Sabbath, and Genesis 1, here’s Tim Mackie:

I know about the number 7, but still, that doesn’t answer my question. I’m sorry.

At the moment guys, this is my only question. Don’t bring anything else into the equation unless if it can help answer me. In Exodus 31:17( and 20:11) it states that in 6 days God created the Heavens and Earth. I’m aware that many of you guys believe that the universe was created before day 1, or in the beginning. However, those verses state that God created the universe in 6 days, contrary to the view that the creation started on day 1. What is your guys’ response to this? And could the word made be used differently? Because to me at the moment, it seems like the author is saying that creation took place in 6 yoms, and started on the first yom( or day one). Is there an alternative interpretation?