What is the image of God?

Ahh , I see …well , for starters , I’m oneness …
I don’t see a separation in the spirit of God and the holy Spirit and the spirit of Christ …

The breath of life is an action by God …to my understanding it is not same as base life …

It may be that you may be of the trinitarian mind , and we may differ because of that .

Yes. But I would affirm that the Spirit of Christ, the Spirit of God, and the Holy Spirit are all ways of referring to the same Person of the Trinity, who is God. When the Bible says believers have the mind of Christ, I take it to be a reference to the relationship we have with God through the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit.

I fully accept that babies may have the seed of the holy ghost in them , and as they grow , the seed is not watered and whithers , and because the image if God is not nurtured , it dies to them …

" Suffer the children to come unto me and forbid them not " …

Children believe with innocent minds , we as adults have more doubt that can creep in along the way of our growth and some let doubt overcome them

This conflation of “holy ghost” and image of God is not a theological construct I have ever encountered before, so it is throwing me off. So you think “holy ghost” is the same as the image of God?

Yes , Christ said God is a spirit , Genesis calls God a spirit …further …

Romans 8:9
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
Matthew 1:18
Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:4
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
2 Peter 1:21
For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost… Those prophets (isaiah42:1)…my spirit upon him …

1 John 5:7
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one…

Is God separate from his image ? Or is he recognized by his image ?his likeness ?( Christ was sent in our likeness/sinnful flesh / ape flesh

1 Corinthians 12:3
Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

1 Corinthians 3:16
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
1 Corinthians 6:19
What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

…temple of the holy ghost , temple of God …

I would say categorically, yes. If you do exegetical work and word studies on “image of God” there is nothing I see that would lead you to conclude it is a part of God himself.

I would say I not only know you by your words , but also by your image or likeness …your picture/avatar , that I connect your words to your appearance …

Since God has no physical appearance , and God is love , the visual image is that of selfless love(agape) …since sin is selfish and the nature of flesh is self seving , it is in opposition to the image of God .

Galatians 5:22
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Genesis 1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness

Fruit is what we see in the outcome , the result …love

That’s importing a meaning of image that was not part of the ANE meaning though, if you ask me. In the context image means something more like representative or ambassador, not visual picture.

Image : a representation of the external form of a person or thing in art…

Perhaps it’s my visual nature as an artist ,
We first " see" …

You can’t just go to an English dictionary and impose all the modern semantics of an English word on the ancient Hebrew though. ‘Image’ is probably the best possible English translation, but that doesn’t mean everything ‘image’ currently means in English applied to the word בְּצֶ֥לֶם thousands of years ago.

Understood , just explaining MY nature as an artist…
My visual nature in my talent …

One could also argue that a "born again " does not change outwardly in image , but inwardly …spiritually .
But the change is seen by others …your " image " or how you are percieved changes .

Again , this is my perspective .
I’m not here to convert anyone to anything , nor do I claim to be a scholar of any note or ability .
Just offering my limited understanding .
@Christy, and thank you for the discussion .

1 Like

You’ll just have to read all the nice links I provided. :slight_smile:

It’s my impression that most of the theologizing about the image of God relies first on understanding the OT use. It’s not a pervasive theme in the NT.

In the NT there is a weird verse in 1 Cor 11:7 about man being the image and glory of God and woman being the glory of man, ipso facto men should not cover their heads when they pray and women should. Don’t really want to go there.

James 3:9 says we shouldn’t curse other people because all humans are made in God’s likeness, so that maybe is alluding to some image of God concept.

Colossians 1:15 and 2 Corinthians 2:4 say Jesus is the image of God.

2 Likes

Yep… Jesus is certainly a man … at the very least.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.