What Is The Gospel and what does it do?

tl;dr universal reconciliation by the faithfulness of Christ is everywhere you look.

1 Like

1 John 4:8

1 John 5:3

Absolutely!

You stopped a verse short above:

There will be a final judgement.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John3:17 For God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him. 18 He who believes in him is not condemned; he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. 19 And this is the judgment, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one who does evil hates the light, and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 But he who does what is true comes to the light, that it may be clearly seen that his deeds have been wrought in God.

And John 3:16-17 does not say

For God so loved the world that he gave is only Son so that none shall perish but have eternal life eventually no matter what. For God sent the Son into the world not to condemn the world but that everyone would be saved because you must ignore the next sentence I say after this and everything else which I say which contradicts it.

1 Like

Wooden universalism is just a splinter.

Looking forward to it.

Keep reading. Without faith you stand condemned. Jesus came the first time to bring salvation to all who repent and place all their confidence in Him, which would include love which must lead to obedience. But Jesus said that though He didn’t come that time to condemn, what will condemn those on the Day of Judgment who don’t trust Him will be the very words He spoke. There is a reason that people will try to hide from the Wrath of the Lamb. He is returning to execute the righteous Judgment of God. The Good News of salvation that is offered to us through repentance and full reliance on Jesus death, resurrection and ascension is in contrast to the wrath that will be poured out on His enemies. That is why it is such Good News. We can be saved from sin and wrath.

tl;dr. What wrath?

What scripture is that?

Actually, @mitchellmckain quoted a good source for that above.

As I said, you got nuthin’

Nothing in Love in Christ contradicts love.

That’s nice dear. What of it?

I reject both of these extremes:

1. The Hakuna matata gospel of universalism and the controlling “love” God who is going ignore your choices and make you fit into His idea of what is right eventually. And all the talk of judgement, hell, and eternal punishment in the Bible is just to be ignored. Likewise we are to ignore the fact that life isn’t anything like this either.

2. The hellfire gospel of the wrathful watchmaker God seeking vengeance against any who dare to think for themselves and do what is right as best as they understand, because the only virtue is cowardice and crawling before the hate-filled God being thankful that you are not the one getting stomped on. This is the racketeering gospel according to the mafia who want to love you and protect you from themselves.

Neither of these sound like love to me. But there is a balance between these extremes…

1. God chose love and freedom over power and control to create life because the whole point is to have a real relationship with others who also make choices and thus have their own share of responsibility in what ultimately comes about. Thus He is a parent who raises His children, but lets them live their own life even when it hurts to watch them self-destruct refusing love and help. Thus the talk in the Bible of love, judgment and eternal punishment are taken seriously, because God is warning us of a danger which is real and important. The experience and hardships of life also fits since it would be teaching us the importance of making the right choices.

There is no middle way between damnation and salvation. Like being a bit pregnant.

Klax im not here to argue. But if you want to defend your view of scripture at least provide evidence for universalism or tell why we need to ignore the " hellfire"
which at one point Jesus spoke of as well. Nothing personal but seeing this debate over and over with no proof from each side is not good. Blessings and take care mate!

1 Like

The Biblical evidence against has been given many times and is right there above in this thread - John 3:16-21, John3:36, Matt 25:41, 2 Peter 2:9, Rev 3:5. More?

Matthew 25:44 Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?’ 45 Then he will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.’ 46 And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

And this is only the beginning of a very long list.