What is sin? (Spin-off discussion)

You claim to have refuted the fact that people learn bad habits from people they grow up with?
You claim to have refuted the fact that people suffer from the consequences of the evil that there ancestors do?

Do you also claim to refute that the sun and moon are in the sky? LOL

I claim that ultimately people make up their own minds based upon more than what they were brought up with. Breeding v Make up is an old, old, argument that has never been resolved.
And as for the consequences of others, be it ancestors or peers, it does not impinge on whether we can be good or not. Personal choice is not just based on circumstances, but what we do within those circumstances.

I will ignore your attempt at humour.

Richard

It seems to me that you have made a hard wire connection between ā€œoriginal sinā€ and numbers 1 & 2 and what you are refuting isā€¦ 1&2, 2&1, 3&2&1, 4&2&1.

It can be a fact that people inherit bad habits from their parents (even if it is not absolutely every one of their habits) without inheriting any compulsion to commit what we recognize as sins. And no this learning of bad habits is not always a conscious deliberative choice! It is true that sometimes we have a negative reaction to some of those bad habits and practically make it a mission in life to avoid those particular ones. And then to our shock someone comes along and observes just how much like our parents we have become (and not in a good way!).

Breeding versus environment is the question of whether this comes from Genetics or Memetics. Telling us that this is unresolved hardly helps your case.

Ah! Now this is an interesting statement. It is exactly what I say in a different way. I say that our spirit is the creation of our own choices and of course it is our spirit that determines our afterlife.

Thus when I list this spectrum I did not mean include these things that you have apparently or added on to them or altered them intoā€¦ something likeā€¦

1. An inheritance of spiritual consequences for the sins of ones ancestors.
  2. There is an inheritance of bad habits and therefore we will be punished for the sins of our ancestors.

Yes, much of what is inherited are a matter of circumstances whether genetic or memetic and what is really important is the choices we make in those circumstances. On this I quite agree. The fact that I find value in the term ā€œoriginal sinā€ for the first sin and its consequences for their descendants which includes a memetic inheritance of bad habits riding along with our humanity, doesnā€™t mean I think we are punished for things which are no choice of our own.

Sin is the failure to obey any of the laws of love.

1 Like

To me sin is essentially doing anything that youā€™re told not to do through Gods words or additionally those you set up through personal conviction and that can include, or if not, then additionally the laws that are in our hearts that seem evident in all cultures among some of itā€™s members.

1 Like