What is science?

According to what definition of “objective” is THAT?

Science is objective only in so far as it is independent of feeling and personal belief, so there is a reasonable expectation that others should accept it as true with no need for trust. Someone telling how they feel about something is by definition subjective. A policeman looking for a suspect has little reason to believe what someone says about how they feel about something because people tell lies.

Let’s define “earthly” as being on the planet mars in which case people are all un-earthly. Let’s define “logical” as being contrary to the rules of logic so we can say computers are illogical. What does this game of using words opposite of their definition serve, anyway?

Care to share some context?

Sure,

• You posted this:

• Laughing at what you posted, I posted this rejoinder:
2 Likes

Any definition that recognizes that objective is not synonymous with empirical. Any fact is objective. It is a fact and therefore objective that I like my wife’s crustless spinach quiche made with Dubliner cheese. My liking it is subjective, but not the fact that I do.

Sorry, no, as just explained. How they feel is subjective, that they feel that way is not.

Makes sense now.

Ah… From now on I will simply substitute the word “factual” for “objective” when I see it in one of your posts.

Someone telling us a fact about themselves (which could be how they feel about something) is a factual truth – a revelation, as you mentioned, something very much true but very much not scientific. And you only have the person’s testimony.
translation completed.

I certainly do not use the word in such a way. As per previous discussion my usage comes largely from Kierkegaard. Accordingly there are both objective facts and subjective facts. With objective facts we have a reasonable expectation that others will agree because it is something they can establish the truth of for themselves. Subjective facts are no less true just because others have no way of knowing that they are true. The objective is simply the same for everyone and the subjective is not the same for everyone.

Sorry, that’s still objective in any case, whether it’s about how they feel or if it’s something that can empirically validated that happened to them last week. There is nothing subjective about the telling.

That’s fine.

Okay, I can agree to that usage, but not this:

There is nothing subjective about the telling, it is either true or not (which is a completely separate issue). The subject (or the object) of what they are telling you about may be either subjective or objective. You would have been correct if you had omitted the “telling” part: “How someone feels about something is by definition subjective.”

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.