What is knowledge and is it ever non-empirical?

Let me begin by repeating my principle challenge. I claim it is DEMONSTRABLE that people can know things even if there is no evidence and that they cannot prove or demonstrate it. Do you accept this claim or do you need me to provide such a demonstration?

The point is that by personal experience someone can know that voter fraud happened whether they have the evidence to prove it or not. And you babbling about not having met the framework for an inquiry cannot change that knowledge into not knowledge.

IT IS PERSONAL EXPERIENCE ONLY! And that will NEVER be a demonstration by which they can expect other people to agree. It IS knowledge but it is subjective knowledge not objective knowledge.

That is hot air empty rhetoric. They consider those to be true beliefs no matter how long you babble your personal subjective conviction that they are not true. You don’t have a basis for a reasonable expectation that they should agree that it does not keep dragons away any more than they have a basis for a reasonable expectation that you should agree that it does keep dragons away.

People are right to call the beliefs they live by knowledge and I think what you care about is ability to force the beliefs you live by on other people by some sort of true by default nonsense.

The problem is the unwillingness of intolerant people to accept a diversity of people who know different things because not all knowledge is demonstrable.

No… it speaks to the difference in the definition of objective and subjective knowledge. Both are the beliefs we live by, but objective knowledge is demonstrable and subjective knowledge is not.

Schizophrenics with such problems maintaining a grip on reality have my sympathies. Most of us do not. My grip on reality is quite solid. I do not view myself doing things. I simply do them. And as a science fiction writer I can imagine all sorts of scenarios and I will not interpret them the way you do. The matrix is not less real just because it is the matrix. It is a matrix reality. Discovering other aspect of reality is just that and not some discovery that what I have experienced is not real. You see I have no problems with multidimensional thinking and that includes people with subjective aspects of reality which are different and an objective aspect of reality which is the same.

When you look down your nose at people all over the world for thinking and living differently than you do then cultural imperialist is simply what you are, and sorry but I think the cultural imperialists are problem, not them.

LOL Don’t need to. I have met such people in my own family all of my life. I think the one who has been sheltered here is you – enabling you to look down your nose at “those people out there” unable to understand that you are really no different than they are.

Huh? I am only referring to your own words that seek to define knowledge as something without reasonable doubt.

I think you are determined to see insults where there is only an effort to find solid ground. So let me repeat the important part without the parts you use to distract us from it.

There is an epistemological superiority in that which can be demonstrated, as in the findings of science, which are founded upon written procedures anyone can follow to get the same results no matter what they believe. That superiority is a basis for a reasonable expectation that others should agree.

I cannot be surprised since you seem to have difficulty in applying such principles to your own ideas of what is knowledge and truth. If you cannot demonstrate that what other people believe is not justified or not true then you cannot expect them to agree that they are not justified or not true. All the special pleading you make for your ideas about what is justified and true cannot change this.

That loose language becomes a way of sneaking dishonesty in to support your argument.

YOU suggest this and turn it into an accusation against me. I never thought any such thing. But I do not consider questioning whether such applies to myself is somehow forbidden as you apparently do. That suggests that maybe you should make an honest evaluation of yourself about that, after all.

But back to the facts… which is that too often people like to think of themselves as a scientist when they are no such thing – and like to think they are living their lives as an objective observer, and since this is logically impossible then how can it be anything other than an indulgence in narcissistic self deception.

I think you prefer to make this personal instead of simply sticking to the point.

The truth is that I simply think your claims about knowledge is absurd and inconsistent to such an incoherent degree that I find it difficult to comprehend how someone can insist on such a thing with a straight face. I cannot help but think it is driven by ideological convictions which they wish to force on other people even though they obviously cannot demonstrate any such thing.

Sorry, but that is how I was taught from childhood by a couple of psychology majors as parents to view cultural imperialists looking down their nose at most of the people in the world. And when they decide what those people call knowledge is not knowledge but only guesses and superstitions then sorry but that equates to cultural imperialism in my book.

Why do you change my words in this way? Or is English not your native language that you do not understand subjunctive statements? When following a suggestion of another way of doing things, a statement about what we do is not a claim about what all people do but what they do according to that alternative way of doing things. AND the fact is that many many people do make themselves clear in this way by defining their terms. If you don’t have the excuse of poor English comprehension then your bizarre change of this into an absolute factual claim is off the charts dishonesty.

Yes, and my experience at having deer jump out in front of me plus my knowledge of you are being a truthful person gives me no room to doubt you. However, that is all subjective, and relies on certain presuppositions. And your truth given the experience is a bit different that my truth about the incident given that. If it came out that you lived in Western Sahara, perhaps I would wonder if it were not really a goat that jumped out and you mis-identified it based on your past familiarity with deer and their behavior. Or if I knew you to be a habitual liar, I would take your story with a grain of salt, even if plausible.
It seems some knowledge is independently verifiable, and some is contingent and subject to interpretation to one degree or the other. Or, perhaps all knowledge is contingent, just to a greater or lesser degree.

2 Likes

Certainly it relies on presuppositions, but if the presuppositions are true, his testimony is true, and you have true knowledge, albeit not firsthand. What is subjective about it? The fact is not influenced by your feelings.

(Some details about the incident may be subjective, like how far away it was.)

That sounds like facts are contingent, or there are ‘alternative facts’. :grin:

Well stated… but main point in relation to the original question is to observe similarly that certain religious knowledge, just like my deer, while not independently verifiable or empirically demonstrable, may well be indeed true and real knowledge of actual facts.

Christ’s second coming, for instance. There is no way to independently verify that future event - it can not in any sense be known “empirically.” It can not in any way (yet) be “demonstrated beyond a reasonable doubt.”

But if we find the one who testified and taught of that event was both trustworthy, and we recognize he had real access to knowledge of that event… then insofar as we are rightly trusting his authority about that claim, then we can indeed have real, genuine, and true knowledge of that event.

And thus, more to the point of @Peter’s original question…

IF God did ever in fact communicate actual truth regarding, say, the origin of humans, then yes, we humans can indeed have real, genuine, and true knowledge of said events insofar as we embrace the right understanding of God’s communication. Hence why I would affirm it is in fact of utmost importance to weigh our interpretations of a scripture to determine whether or not God has, or has not spoken, regarding these specific claims.
And if by chance we we’re to find or determine that God had indeed spoken about these things, then such claims can and must indeed be called “knowledge.”

1 Like

There is the rub. We have about 33,000 different denominations and doubtless there are even more different opinions within those as to what God has spoken. One day we will know who was closest to correct, if indeed our finite minds can understand it even then.

1 Like

Firsthand knowledge of God is possible, at least with respect to his answers to some prayers and to his providential M.O. – I plead Maggie. :slightly_smiling_face: And Glenn Morton, among others.

In society there is a persistent myth around science that science = scientific method, and is therefore all empirical knowledge. So science is what we ‘know’ and most other things don’t have this certainty. Scientific ‘knowledge’ is much more than this. The scientific method is one way that science explores reality. Scientific theories are not wild guesses, but neither are they empirical knowledge, they are profound explanations of reality that at the points they can be tested fit with empirical knowledge. They work, therefore they can be constituted as knowledge. Climate change is a good example of this. Lots of empirical evidence that we pull with models into a cohesive picture.

On the other hand, Newton’s description of gravity translated into practical ‘knowledge’ and at all points that it was tested appeared correct. Along came Einstein et al and reframed it more accurately. Very accurately. But it’s possible it might be reframed again. Yet, I’m not aware of anyone who died from the effects of gravity because they didn’t have the current theory. You can describe the same event with different formulas in physics - successfully. This tells us something about knowledge.
Because on one level we can empirically know that when you mix this chemical in a test tube with this one in these conditions we are likely to see this result. Not everything fits in a test tube or can be repeated.

So to understand and operate successfully in the world, we have various levels of ‘knowledge’, with varying levels of ability to validate what we know. Most humans have functioned successfully on some kind of practical operational knowledge, even if aspects of their interpretation were wildly incorrect.

So if I don’t know God empirically, don’t comprehend him fully:
*“Can you discover the depths of God? Can you discover the limits of the Almighty?” (Zophar) Job 11:7
“What we know of Him is but foolishness and all we can say about Him is without savour.” (Calvin)
Yet I can know God. I don’t comprehend my wife fully, but my relationship is real, I really know her.

1 Like

Yes.  

Continued presentation of difference between SR and NLR length contraction.

III. The NLR version of the Double Triplet Scenario.
A. In SR, there is no preferred frame. The Blue Triplets assume that they are stationary and that the Red Triplets are in motion relative to them; the Red Triplets assume that they are stationary and that the Blue Triplets are in motion relative to them. In NLR, there is a preferred frame, the Blue Triplets are stationary in the preferred frame, and the Red Triplets are in motion through the preferred frame and relative to the Blue Triplets.

In SR, the Blue Triplets and the Red Triplets do not agree on the order of encounters. In NLR, all Triplets do agree on the order of encounters.

That science is distinguished from rhetoric by methodological ideals including that of honesty outlined in the scientific method is not a myth. It is fact.

Empiricism is a largely defunct idea in the philosophy of science.

That part is nonsense. Science is not about certainty and it does not define knowledge either.

Hypotheses are guesses at explanations which can be tested. Theories are explanations of a wide range of phenomenon that can be called profound and they are considered fact when they become the routine tools of scientific inquiry which generally happens after they have been tested countless times and thus have a considerable body of accumulated evidence to support them.

Climate change is a poor example because that is a mixture of so many things which includes some facts backed up by evidence and a lot of guesses, rhetoric, and politics thrown in as well.

The reframing cannot change the picture because the accumulated evidence does not change.

That seems clear to me too.

Well this thread was spun off from the Lies if AiG by the staff. I didn’t plan to start this particular thread in this particular way. However, while I would have said some things differently if I had planned to do it, and I would have been more prepared, I basically stand by the overall message. I don’t really see why you have included these excerpts though, because they don’t seem to tie into your position, which as near as I can make out, is an attempt to undermine my assertions about knowledge on the grounds that we really don’t know anything for sure.

I would not ask you to butt out of this thread at all. I am interested in all perspectives. I am just trying to get to the bottom of what you are saying instead of spending enormous amounts of time researching physics papers. Why not simply talk directly to the point you want to make? If you are saying that you think my argument is asserting that scientific knowledge is certain knowledge, then you have misunderstood. I have made it clear that I am not saying that, so really what is your point?

1 Like

Whatever the substance of your claim here Terry, it is not supported by that diagram or your accompanying comments. Do you have anything that actually makes the claim about the order clear?

1 Like

Hi Daniel, if I was to show this to an atheist - and there are a few in here - I expect that the problem with this that it demands that one treats the existence of God as a true fact (an assumption), and therefore Jesus, and therefore the bible and the message of the bible that Jesus is a real being who said things, and that he had the power to know the future, and that we can trust Him. A Christian may well say that this is all part of a Christian’s knowledge of God, and that as a result this is all a trustworthy source. The atheist asserts that the Christian is merely claiming this to be true knowledge and that Jesus is a trusted Authority and that this is just circular reasoning grounded only in personal conviction, and cannot be independently verified.

I am saying this merely to point out that all claims that flow from the platform of scripture, regardless of whether one is a literalist or not, require one to commit to believing them on faith, not on evidence that is independent of the bible itself. Thus my comment that all that follows is fruit of the same tree means that it is faith that evokes the concept of creative evolution, it is faith that underpins the idea of infusion of a soul into early humans, and it is faith behind the idea that firmly and sincerely held beliefs derived from the bible should be construed as true knowledge.

I realize, and I have now experienced the blow-back, that this view is very unpopular here, but I did not come here to ruffle feathers and be deliberately provocative. For me faith is what it is, and we ought to own it. Attempts to construct an epistemology that validates un-provable and un-falsifiable assertions as the basis of one’s concept of what constitutes true knowledge, is always going to be a dead end. I know I am going to pay for saying that, but there it is! :innocent:

(Be gentle with me people)

3 Likes

OK Mitchell, look, this interaction between us is not going anywhere. You have announced that your bias comes from your upbringing and that explains a lot.

It is quite dishonest of you to call me names (not that I care) such as cultural imperialist, and delusional narcissist, and then when I mention this to you, you say that I am focusing on that and not responding to your arguments. This is dishonest because the fact that is that you have insulted me rather than deal with my arguments as they are. and where you have spoken to my points you have misunderstand and misrepresent what I have said. It is also dishonest to claim that I am changing your words, which, if you read back over all your posts to me, is a very fair representation of your position, however inconsistent and contradictory that position may be. Insulting me by suggesting that English must not be my first language is not productive. The fault is in your communication sir, and your ability to honestly reflect upon it. I am happy to admit fault where I have worded things poorly or been unclear, but your attitude is the opposite.

I think that at the bottom of all your anger and bias is some sort of spidey-sense that I seem to have tingled, that tells you that I am the enemy and I must be destroyed because you can intuit that a possible conclusion to my argument is that belief in God cannot ultimately be considered justified true belief. I do think this is what this all comes down to Mitchell. Your anger, your vitriol, your insults and the tell-tale incoherence of your arguments all point to you being very much bent out of shape by the deeper and long term implications of what I am saying. If that is so, then please lets just discuss that rather than spew out all this ad hominem stuff.

Lastly, if it turns out that my ideas are poorly conceived and in need of revision, than I am open to changing my mind and learning something new.

1 Like

I think there is a lot of support here for what you say minus the emphasis on the strict definition of knowledge. I’ve argued that faith should be as compatible with appropriate epistemic humility as atheism can be. Not having the answer to every question need not undermine faith. To my way of thinking we should all be agnostic whether we come down on the side of atheism or theism. Unfortunately, in the states at least, there is strong desire to project hyper certainty among believers. I guess it balances the hyper streak of anti-theism among atheists here.

:grinning:

My translation: I don’t know what you’re talking about, but whatever it is, neither your diagram nor your comments support it.
hmmm, …

Do these two Tables shed any light on the claims about the order?

Trivial observation: The diagrams and comments that drew your attention were submitted in response to

I am out of my depth on some of the comments, but I think you will find more agreement here with you than perhaps you think. It seems that the whole of apologetics is an effort to integrate and use knowledge to validate faith, in effect testifying to an undercurrent of uncertainty.

1 Like

Ahhh, … having just taken my first look at “The Lies of AiG” thread, had I known that your thread was spun off from it, I wouldn’t have bothered to play in this thread. Too late now, eh?

For the record, I haven’t asked or expected anyone two reading/researching physics papers. That appears to be T_acquaticus’ thing, not mine.

Nope, that’s not what I was saying. You made your position reasonably clear earlier.

I kind a thought I did.

Note, though, that I didn’t jump into this sandbox until you wrote:

And I asked:

and I ended my inquiry with:

Terry, I have now gone through those diagrams and the explanatory table. Maybe it is my eyesight playing tricks or there is something missing in the instructions about how to use this information, but each adjacency it refers to differs. What I mean is, in some cases you can line up the adjacency it refers to and sometimes you cannot. This is true regardless of POV and of theoretic framework - SR or NLR.

If you can make this clearer still by drawing straight lines on the diagram of moving triplets to show how one is supposed to interpret an adjacency, that would help?

As for the research paper comment, it is not enough to make an argument based on diagrams of this sort as they are not primary sources and a substantial amount of additional information needs to be digested before a great enough understanding is reached, such that meaningful debate about which, if either theory, is the most meritorious. That is what I meant by rabbit hole.

I am in it now so I want to see what you have. However, I don’t think it will resolve much though in terms of the epistemic points at hand.

Your comment about Lies In AiG is noted, but I am interested as to why this would have affected your decision to participate here? Surely the topic at hand and the discussion points I introduced can be considered independently and handled on their merits?