What happened on the cross?

Again, I understand.

1 Like
  • What happened on the cross?
    • The chosen Lamb of God was slain.
      • Exodus 12.
          1. The Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron in Egypt:
          1. “This month is to be the first month of the year for you.
          1. Give these instructions to the whole community of Israel: On the tenth day of this month each man must choose either a lamb or a young goat for his household.
          1. You may choose either a sheep or a goat, but it must be a one-year-old male without any defects.
          1. Then, on the evening of the fourteenth day of the month, the whole community of Israel will kill the animals.
          1. The people are to take some of the blood and put it on the doorposts and above the doors of the houses in which the animals are to be eaten.
          1. That night the meat is to be roasted, and eaten with bitter herbs and with bread made without yeast.
          1. Do not eat any of it raw or boiled, but eat it roasted whole, including the head, the legs, and the internal organs.
          1. You must not leave any of it until morning; if any is left over, it must be burned.
          1. You are to eat it quickly, for you are to be dressed for travel, with your sandals on your feet and your walking stick in your hand. It is the Passover Festival to honor me, the Lord.
          1. “On that night I will go through the land of Egypt, killing every first-born male, both human and animal, and punishing all the gods of Egypt. I am the Lord.
          1. The blood on the doorposts will be a sign to mark the houses in which you live. When I see the blood, I will pass over you and will not harm you when I punish the Egyptians.
          1. You must celebrate this day as a religious festival to remind you of what I, the Lord, have done. Celebrate it for all time to come.”
          1. The Lord said, “For seven days you must not eat any bread made with yeast—eat only unleavened bread. On the first day you are to get rid of all the yeast in your houses, for if anyone during those seven days eats bread made with yeast, he shall no longer be considered one of my people.
          1. On the first day and again on the seventh day you are to meet for worship. No work is to be done on those days, but you may prepare food.
          1. Keep this festival, because it was on this day that I brought your tribes out of Egypt. For all time to come you must celebrate this day as a festival.
          1. From the evening of the fourteenth day of the first month to the evening of the twenty-first day, you must not eat any bread made with yeast. 19-20 For seven days no yeast must be found in your houses, for if anyone, native-born or foreign, eats bread made with yeast, he shall no longer be considered one of my people.”
          1. Moses called for all the leaders of Israel and said to them, “Each of you is to choose a lamb or a young goat and kill it, so that your families can celebrate Passover.
          1. Take a sprig of hyssop, dip it in the bowl containing[f] the animal’s blood, and wipe the blood on the doorposts and the beam above the door of your house. Not one of you is to leave the house until morning.
          1. When the Lord goes through Egypt to kill the Egyptians, he will see the blood on the beams and the doorposts and will not let the Angel of Death enter your houses and kill you.
          1. You and your children must obey these rules forever.
          1. When you enter the land that the Lord has promised to give you, you must perform this ritual.
          1. When your children ask you, ‘What does this ritual mean?’
          1. you will answer, ‘It is the sacrifice of Passover to honor the Lord, because he passed over the houses of the Israelites in Egypt. He killed the Egyptians, but spared us.’”
1 Like

Evil. It is always evil to kill the innocent, and the reasons in this case were particularly grotesque. The ultimate sickness and self-destructive nature of human sin was made manifest in the sharpest contrast for all to see. Israel’s history of killing those God had sent them was brought to its ultimate fruition in slaughtering the savior they had been promised.

And yet evil was not victorious in this case any more than it was in the case of Socrates. Both were quite willing to lay down their life for the sake of truth. So, not only was there this inspiring example of no compromise with ignorance and evil but in the case of Jesus there was the triumph of the resurrection. Thus we were also shown that death does not triumph over love and principle.

So we should condemn you for preaching a different gospel than the one we learned from Jesus and Paul in the Bible??? I think we will just ignore you and leave you to God, who promised to judge you as you have judged others.

1 Like

In Isaiah 53 the Spirit foretold of what Jesus would do. It it is very specific that it was the LORD’S will to crush Jesus and to make Him suffer and to make His life a guilt offering.

Isa 53:5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed.
6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to his own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

Isa 53:10 Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the Lord makes his life a guilt offering,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand.

It was the LORD that was doing this. It was the LORD that laid on Him the iniquity of us all and the Lord made his life a guilt offering. Paul continues with what he said Jesus Himself revealed to him.

2 Cor 5:20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

So in all my declarations I am only repeating what the Father, Spirit and apostles proclaimed. The gospel that was preached by the prophets, John the Baptist (behold the Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world), Jesus and the apostles is what I proclaim. Nothing you think or say can change that. If you would but trust the teaching of all those who proclaimed this, your mind would be renewed and you would know the truth and the truth would set you free.

Yes He was.
Behold the Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world.

1 Like

I agree with the solidarity, that came to me nearly 20 years ago. There is no act of salvation, there is the revelation of it and its universality. The work on the Cross is meaningless without the Resurrection and vice versa.

2 Likes

The far greater agony He experienced as He was chopped to pieces and hung up to cure like meat.

I think Mel Gibson got pretty close to the bloody clump

He
appeared to be before they murdered him.

1 Like

Q. What happened on the cross?

A. When angels brought Isaiah before the throne of God, he was “undone” by his sin. God instructed an angel to get a lump of live coal from the altar to touch his lips and purge his sin. God did for Isaiah what he could not do for himself. We call it sanctification, which involves deep cleansing to His standard. The altar is a picture of God’s place of rule in heaven.

In the wilderness, God had His people set up the Tabernacle as the place He met with them and revealed His presence with them in a pillar of fire at night and a cloud in the daytime. He instructed them to strictly observe the Priesthood and sacrificial system for living under His blessing and covenant. The temple priesthood and sacrificial system allowed repentance and forgiveness to bless His people who were obedient and submissive. The people’s sins were laid on the sacrificial lamb by the priest who slew it, and its blood was placed on the altar. A scapegoat was sent out into the wilderness to remove the sins from the camp.

These principles set the stage for the cross. Thus, the New Testament fulfills the preparations established in the Old Testament.

1. We have a Compassionate High Priest
    [Hebrews 4:14] " Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession."

2. Like with Isaiah and Abraham, God provides what we cannot.
    Genesis 22:8 “And Abraham said, “My son, God will provide for Himself the lamb for a burnt offering.” So the two of them went together.”

3. **Emanuel came as God’s provision, the Lamb of God.
    [John 1:29 “The next day, John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!”

At cavalry, Jesus, the lamb of God, was placed on the cross like a sacrificial lamb on the temple altar. Jesus, 100% man, indwelled 100% as God, had the full weight of the world’s sins laid on Him. Jesus, our High Priest, was in full control of the sacrificial ceremony in total obedience to the Godhead.

When Jesus cried out, “My God, why have you forsaken me?” Jesus, our High Priest, completed the sacrifice by allowing the man… Jesus, the lamb of God, to die bearing the sins of the world. Thus, the sacrifice, redemption, and victory over sin were “finished.”

Three days later, God validated His sacrificial work through Jesus by resurrecting and indwelling him as the victor over both sin and death. The lamb was scarred as he opened the “way, the truth and the life” for “whosoever will come.”

That is what happened on the cross. Amen!

2 Likes

Nor does it depend on believing a set of dogmas.

And does not depend on believing in a megalomaniacal God obsessed with glory and adulation, a puritanical God who cannot associate with sinners, a heard-hearted God who cannot forgive without payment, a controlling God who will not tolerate people having their own ethical judgements, a sadistic God who will resurrect a suicide in order to torture him, a God like a mafia boss running a protection racket, or a rule by fear soul destroying monster god who makes cowardice the highest virtue.

It certainly does not depend on believing in necromancy and blood magic.

Not only don’t we have to believe these things in order to embrace Christianity, the Bible, and Jesus as our savior, but many of us think that these type of beliefs are a better fit with Gnosticism and Satanism than Christianity.

This is not about condemnation. We would no more say your are going to hell for believing differently about these things than we would say that creationists are going to hell because they refuse to accept the conclusions of science about evolution. But even if you do not judge others in this regard, you still have to judge things for yourselves, wary lest you sell out our soul to the devil.

1 Like

Hello William. Greetings! Greetings from your friends at biologos

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

1 Like

The clarion call of The Gospel:

I Corinthians 1:23. “ἡμεῖς δὲ κηρύσσομεν Χριστὸν ἐσταυρωμένον Ἰουδαίοις μὲν σκάνδαλον Ἕλλησιν δὲ μωρίαν”.

2 Likes

Your derogatory term “blood magic” for the offering of the life blood of Jesus, will not change the fact of what Jesus did by pouring His life blood out for the forgiveness of our sins and for that fact that God bought His believers, the church, with the blood of Jesus. Your mockery has no power to change the grace of God He has shown toward us by His crushing (Isaiah 53) Jesus for our salvation, for our redemption.
Matt 26:28 This is my blood of the covenant (contract), which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
Acts 20:28 Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.

Through faith in His blood, atonement has been made, as the revelation that Jesus gave to Paul states. By Jesus becoming sin and a curse, God was executing justice by punishing Jesus who became sin so that we who place our faith in Him will receive the gift of a Born Again, New Creation spirit within us. We were crucified with Christ and Christ now lives in those who place the trust in Him.

Rom 3:24 justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25 God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26 he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

Our becoming justified, righteous before God comes through the blood of Jesus. Rom 5:9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him!

When those who have faith in the sacrifice of Jesus drink His blood in remembrance of Him, we are participants in His blood. The Son of Man, our representative, Jesus dying as me, took my punishment. I deserved to have my life blood poured out for my sins, but instead of God crushing, executing me, He united me to Christ in His death, His life blood was mine, His death was mine and His judgment was mine but His resurrection was mine also. I have been crucified with Christ, never the less I live but not I, it’s Christ that lives in me. 1 Cor 10:16 Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ?

If those who drink the cup of the Lord’s blood in an unworthy manner are guilty of sin, how wicked is it to reject the blood that bought us freedom from sin and condemnation. 1 Cor 11:27 Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.

Redemption and forgiveness of sins come through the blood of Jesus. Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,”. And through the blood of Christ we have been brought near to the Father. Eph 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ.

When Jesus ascended to the Most Holy Place after His resurrection, He entered it with His own blood. The New Covenant is in that holy blood.
Heb 9:11 When Christ came as high priest of the good things that are already here, he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not man-made, that is to say, not a part of this creation. 12 He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, having obtained eternal redemption. 13 The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that they are outwardly clean. 14 How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!

We now can enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus. Heb 10:19 Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body,” We are made holy by His blood. Heb 13:12 And so Jesus also suffered outside the city gate to make the people holy through his own blood.”

It is through the blood of Jesus that was poured out for our sins, that has freed us from our sins. Rev 1:5 To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, 6 and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father — to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.

There are too many scriptures that speak about the blood of Jesus buying our freedom, setting us free from sin, giving us access to the Most Holy Place. A simple search for blood in the NT will show anyone the truth about what God has done through the offering of the blood of Jesus. But, it takes faith in the Word of God and what Jesus did to receive the salvation His blood brings.

The life of the flesh is in the blood and God requires the life blood of all who sin. But Jesus as the Son of Man offered His life blood in place of mine, and God accepted that offering. So since through trust in Jesus I am one with Him, the price that God required of me, my life blood, Jesus paid for. The price for my rebellion was paid for by the Son of Man, the Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world. This becomes affective in those who place their faith, trust in Jesus. Without faith it is impossible to please God.

I would fear speaking evil (blood magic) about the blood of Jesus which purchased our salvation. And I would not want anyone to trample on it by continuing in sin. May God open your understanding to see what the blood of our sacrificed Lamb of God has bought for all who place their faith in Him.

Jesus willing to let wicked people kill Him, is not some emotional ploy to make us feel bad and to see he must really love us to let us kill Him. His blood was what was required by God to purchase our freedom. By faith in the cross of the Son of Man, His blood is mine, His death is mine, He carried me through judgement and liberated me from my slavery to sin and the devil in His (mine) resurrection. I have been united with Christ in all this.

1 Like

It is not a derogatory term for the offering of Jesus because blood magic had nothing to do with what Jesus did. If you think otherwise then you are one calling it blood magic not me. Jesus demonstrated repeatedly that the forgiveness of sin required nothing but for you to listen to his admonition that you go and sin no more.

Likewise communion has nothing to do with an magical effect of drinking blood. There is in fact no blood in the cup and there never was. The point was to remember Him, both His teaching and His sacrifice. The the point was never any idea of necromancy and black magic that human sacrifice and drinking blood had some kind of magical power. The point was always repentance and the determination to change and become more like Him, knowing that this was not something we would be able to do by our own ability.

1 Like

No, the point is our union with Jesus in His death and resurrection saves us from our slavery to sin and the devil, now, in this life. And if we continue in our faithfulness to walking in the Spirit we won’t fullfill the lusts of the flesh and we will have a welcoming entrance into His eternal Kingdom.
By the blood of Jesus we have been redeemed and have been born of God, now. Our union with Him in His cross saves us from the Law of Sin and Death, as Paul stated.
Without being united in His death and resurrection a person is still dead in their sins. No matter how hard you try to obey Jesus teachings, you will not be born again or become a New Creation. The New Birth comes only by accepting His cross, only then will a person be born of the Spirit.
Jesus said, “This is the blood of the New Covenant”. If a person does not recieve the sacrifice of His life blood they are outside of the New Covenant. God offers us a blood covenant, reject it and there is no salvation from sin or condemnation. He has made it clear beyond any doubt that by His blood we have been redeemed, made holy, justified. Believe it and confess, acknowledge, submit to Jesus as your Lord, Master and you will be saved. Place no confidence, faith in it and you will be condemned.
To be perfect, mature as our Father in Heaven is, is only possible through the New Birth and His Spirit abiding in us. No New Birth, no possibility of becoming like the Father. Christ in you is the hope of glory.

I will only glory in the cross of Christ, for through it I have been crucified to the world and the world to me.

The way Luke 22 tells the story, Jesus said, “do this in remembrance of me.” Do you think Luke just made up that part and inserted this into the text?

Yes Jesus says this is the blood of the new covenant. But I don’t see where He says that this means we have to believe in necromancy or blood magic. This new covenant is all a part of the change Paul describes as a change from a righteousness based on law to a righteousness based on faith.

I simply don’t agree with your additions to the text.

1 Peter 1:23 For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. 25 And this is the word that was preached to you.

To be born again one must believe the word that was preached. That word was the death and resurrection of Jesus. Our union with Him in it. This is what the apostles proclaimed, faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus. The redemption, justification, righteousness that the Father offers, is through the blood of Jesus and our union with Him in the cross. The cross and all it includes is our salvation. Because in our union with Christ in it, we have obtained what our obedience alone could not. It is a gift (grace) from the Father to us. A new start, with His very Spirit abiding in us, causing us to both desire and giving us the ability to do His will. It was the deliverance from our old masters of sin and the devil. This is the grace of God in Christ Jesus. If a person believes this they will live in the grace of God, if they reject it, they reject His grace and spurn His love. There is no other sacrifice for sins but the very life blood and body of Jesus. That is salvation.

The righteousness based on faith is true, but what is that faith in?
It is in the message of Jesus that the apostles spoke. Jesus, the Son of Man, becoming us and becoming sin and a curse so that we would become the righteousness of God in Him. That is the message that was proclaimed and believed. And from that faith in the sacrifice of Jesus, Him becoming sin and raising from death and our union with Him in it, we are saved from our enemies. Not a righteousness that we obtain by us trying real hard to obey, but one that the Father created our new spirits in, His righteousness. The Father released us from our bondage to sin so that we could serve Him in His righteousness that He birthed us with. Born again, not by the will or power of man but by the will of the Father. The New Birth is not something you can work your way into, it is done through the cross, blood, sacrifice of Jesus. That is the faith we must have to be justified. That is the word that the apostles proclaimed.

If we believe we will be saved. If we reject it. we will be condemned. And justly so, for we reject the gracious way that the Father has provided for us to enter into His presence. Our high priest Jesus entered into the Most Holy Place by His blood, how can we not honor Him by accepting that offering?

Some may say that correct knowledge is not needed to live in the salvation that God provide, or no one can know how to be saved, but what do you think so much of the instruction of the apostles was for, it was to teach the believers what the death and resurrection of Jesus accomplished. Hebrews is full of it, Romans too. Some believed the message of the resurrection of Jesus but they needed more instruction, knowledge of what that ment so they could live in the fulness of Christ. Paul labored on their behalf so they would understand the freedom and power they had in their union with Jesus in His cross and resurrection.

In God of course. Not some dogma of God, but the actual being who created the universe.

Certainly not in some dogma of parroted scripture.

John 5:39 You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me; 40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

Some may prefer the Gnostic gospel of salvation by knowledge, but the Christian gospel is one of salvation by the grace of God. It is indeed a basic question of where you put your faith… in YOUR knowledge/understanding or in God’s.

How can you have read the scriptures and not see all I have been saying about the good news of what God did in Christ to save us from sin. You are calling God’s revelation to us about Christ a dogma as if it’s a negative thing. And using the phrase “parroted scripture” as if that is a bad thing. Being dogmatic about the parroted scriptures that declare the truth of Christ’s death and resurection is a means of renewing my mind which brings about the transformation that God wants in us. It produces holiness, a righteous life, power over temptation and conforms me to the image of Jesus. You would do well to do the same.

Yes I search the scriptures but in doing so I find Christ on the cross bearing sin and rising from the dead to redeem and justify me. I find Christ in the scriptures and I run to Him for salvation. The salvation that God provided and was preached by the apostles. The salvation that God wants us to KNOW, HAVE COMPLETE KNOWLEDGE OF.
I put my faith in Jesus, knowing and understanding that it was God’s will to offer Him up in my place to redeem me, to take my punishment and unite me with Him in it and to carry me through judgement into a new birth by the Father’s will. The Father wants me to have this "knowledge/understanding of these things that are from Him so that I can live in the liberty that He has provided.
What you speak of as wrong, "being dogmatic, parroting quoting) scriptures, having knowledge/understanding, are the very things God wants us to have and do with the good news of the death and resurrection of Jesus. That is called faith in the Father and the Son.