What does it mean to graciously disagree about COVID?

I think the situation is just the opposite.

I have visited communist countries and countries that shook off communism. I have talked to people who lived under authoritarian rule where state censorship stifled communication.

So to see the government colluding with technology companies to stop discussions is troubling.

I suppose you might be, but I can’t imagine any reasonable person would think the FBI is only using public information in its determination.

Much as I respect our law enforcement agencies and intelligence agencies, the mindset they have is not scientific proof, but rather to decide if there is enough information to indict. No motive, but opportunity and suspicious behavior regarding information provided. It would only be expected to see their evidence before taking their conclusions as fact.

3 Likes

Does this opinion also go for the national labs under the Department of Energy, which also found the lab leak the most likely source of Covid? They aren’t law enforcement.

We have the FBI, the national labs of the Department of Energy, and the former director of the CDC all agreeing — not just intelligence services and law enforcement. The former director of the CDC is not law enforcement nor intelligence agency either.

But he is a former employee with no real access to information outside the public sphere, so while he may be smart and talented, why should his opinion matter? Again, the data should prevail. Without it, there is only opinion.

1 Like

Because he was there while things were happening and knew the processes and procedures.

This whole attitude—until we get the classified data we know nothing!—seems like a ruse, a hiding place to avoid facing reality.

So nothing of substance. Processes and procedures. Classified information. Undocumented reports. Rumors. Reality?

That’s funny, Phil.

I consider all those things substantial. And the former director of the CDC also had a counterpart in the Chinese government that he was in contact with.

Apparently the FBI considered what they found to be of substance. The fact that we don’t have the clearance or requisite need-to-know does not make things devoid of substance.

But with Congress’s vote for declassification, maybe we will know more in the next few months.

But neither of these above have anything substantial for you to address.

It would not be incorrect to say that you engage in substance abuse. :grin:

More important than dead horses and multiple :yawning_face::

1 Like

In light of the original question of the thread, subtly suggesting that people you disagree with are on the wide and broad gate to destruction and are not on a path to the Father is probably not a good example of graciously disagreeing about COVID.

5 Likes

Yes, because Twitter is the only place people can be heard. eye roll

Let’s say that we found the following evidence:

1. Nearly half of the earliest cases of COVID-19 came from the Wuhan lab, or lived very close to the Wuhan lab.

2. Testing of the surfaces at the lab tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, including a cage that held lab animals known to be used for viral propagation. They even found SARS-CoV-2 RNA in a brush used to remove fur from those lab animals.

How many people would consider this to be slam dunk evidence for a lab leak?

If so, why isn’t this slam dunk evidence for the virus originating at the Wuhan market since this evidence is what was found at the Wuhan market, especially given the fact that the first SARS outbreak, SARS-CoV-1, was also associated with a wet market?

4 Likes

This conjecture is addressed here under the section “Lab leak and natural transmission.”

Of course, the lab is supposed to be an environment designed to avoid transmission of pathogens, so creating a scenario and interchanging the words “lab” and “market” is invalid. That is why your so-called slam dunk evidence for one spot is not for another. Another reason is that we don’t know how ubiquitous the disease was in the lab, as China is not cooperating—as if they have something to hide.

Just as church choir practice was disease spreader in the US, when a person infected elsewhere showed up, a lab worker or family member who went to the market (after a lab-originated infection) could have started the spread from the market.

Just as the choir practice was not the original source, the market may not have been the original source — just a place well suited to spreading the disease after the gain of function research in the lab (and the subsequent leak from the lab) had made the disease better adapted to human hosts and more transmissible.

Once the disease moved from the lab, into lab workers, to others outside the lab, the wet market became a “spread venue” just as church choir practice was.

It’s not invalid at all. If half of the first cases were lab personnel then everyone would consider this slam dunk evidence for a lab leak. Just look at the claims people are making about a handful of lab staff that had the flu. If a subsequent survey of the lab found surfaces contaminated with the virus and animal cages covered in the virus, wouldn’t this be considered even stronger evidence?

So why isn’t this same evidence strong evidence for a natural origin when it is found in the market?

That’s an awfully massive coincidence, isn’t it? Why not somewhere else besides the market, in a city with 11 million people? Why not at a university or a restaurant? Why would the lab leak just happen to take it just to the one spot that has known natural sources for outbreaks?

Would you accept the reverse argument? Would you accept a massive outbreak at the lab as someone getting the virus at the market, and only that person, and then have them spread it at the lab?

Let’s also not forget that the first SARS outbreak also came from a wet market.

And half of the first cases may have been lab personnel, but the CCP is keeping those data secret.
They aren’t cooperating at all. Can you guess why?

Have you traveled enough to see these markets? I have. I was in Southeast Asia in January and toured many of these markets. They are packed tight with people in less than sanitary conditions.
The market is the logical place for the disease to spread after a lab leak.

Yes, someone who came in contact with an infected lab employee would be a fine candidate as the source in the market.

A market in an Asian communist country that I visited in January.

Conspiracy theories are not substitutes for evidence.

There are many such places in Wuhan.

You can lead a horse to water . . .