What divides Christians from "mainstream science"?

Can you not have lunch in a dream?
Bodily resurrection does not mean there is an independent physical reality because you have no independent physical body to begin with.

You only think mind’s requre substance because that that is what you see with your eyes. But what you see is not physical but rather what God shows you (awake) or what you show yourself (dreams). Can you find a difference between a dream cup and a real cup? No. Then why do you assume one is physical and the other non-physical? I think therefore I am a mind. Minds (mine and God’s) can fully explain all my experiences and observations. Therefore, physical objects need not exist, thus by Occam’s razor we reject them.

Still waiting for you to get back to me on Berkeley.

@pacificmaelstrom

I was actually first waiting for your reply to my previous comment! Now that you have replied I’ll answer your comments and respond to Berkeley’s philosophy.

Well, yes, we are 7 billion distinct individuals in the world. This confirms that distinct individual minds are generated by distinct individual physical bodies. The sensory organs we have evolved are specifically suited to perceive the physical world around us. Without the sensory organs that we have been endowed with the physical and mental world that we personally experience would not be possible. This is why a computer needs software and hardware to function. Without the necessary hardware the software cannot accomplish any tasks—the software is dead.

What we experience in the world is both material and spiritual. The energy contained within the atomic world of physical elements is considered the substratum of the material creation for good reason—it undergirds the physical world to give it form and motion.

What we experience in our dreams are the subconscious fabrications of our mental processes. In ordinary subconscious dreams the mental world we experience might seem just as real as the material world, however, in distinctive conscious dreams the mental constructs are difficult to hold and keep together—here the mental images are fluid and easily break up (unless they are given solid form in the physical world). The physical world is very real and just as concrete as it looks. Think about it… this is the process we use in forming the future and why we say, “I must realize my dreams”—the dreams are the mental constructs of the mind, their realization is molding them and giving them form in physical reality. Of course, in the physical world our realizations can deteriorate because of the elements or be sabotaged and destroyed unless they are diligently maintained and safeguarded.

Without physical bodies we cannot think and experience all the wonderful things the world has to offer. This is why we do all that we can to remain youthful, healthy, and avoid death. Death is definitely not a good thing. This is why the writer of Ecclesiastes has this admonition for the reader;

“Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest” [Ecclesiastes 9:10 KJV].

This is also why the Christian scriptures tell us to respect and be concerned for the well-being of our physical bodies;

“Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?” [1 Corinthians 6: 19].

In this instance Occam’s razor is razing that which is necessarily crucial for existence.

Regarding Berkeley I present this piece from an essay on his Theory of Immaterialism;

"For instance, assume that a person attends an art museum early on Sunday morning. As that person views the artwork, the paintings themselves are sensible things, or ideas, actively being perceived by a mind; in short, they exist. However, when the museum closes and the person goes home, does the artwork continue to exist? Obviously the person pursues other activities of the day, and he ceases to think about what he did earlier. However, at a certain time those paintings were part of what the person knew to be true through sensation; the artwork was part of the person’s reality. Do the paintings therefore cease to exist since they are no longer being thought of?

Berkeley argues that such objects still exist because the mind of God is always perceiving them. Unlike the materialists’ view, the immaterialist puts God at the center of his views. In truth, God is the “omnipresent external mind which knows and comprehends all things, and exhibits them to our view in such a manner and according to such rules as He Himself has ordained and are by us termed the ‘laws of nature.’” Berkeley's Theory of Immaterialism | Novelguide

Berkeley is stating that the “mind of God” that always perceives these [objects] is the “laws of nature.” In other words—the mind of God [is] the cosmological constants. “God” the “omnipresent external mind which knows and comprehends all things, and exhibits them to our view in such a manner and according to such rules as He Himself has ordained”—has ordained the objects [physical objects].

Therefore, in response to your statement at the top—“what you see is not physical but rather what God shows you,” I’ll have to say that from our perspective what we see, feel, and experience in the material world [is] physical in the manner and according to the physical laws as God Himself has ordained.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.