What Denominations are Tolerant of Evolution yet Conservative?

Well I simply assumed non denoms would be less stringent on peripheral “doctrines” like on evolution. Anyways, I don’t have experience with the churches themselves so I’ll just take your word.

Today it would seem that “non-denominational” is a way of self-identifying by “what we are not” as much as it is “what we are”. We are not one of them seems to be a high priority of identification. And perhaps all current denominations had similar beginnings.

I agree with this. As a non denom myself, I find the idea of rejecting denominations as rejecting the thick human tradition that has been piled onto Christianity over the centuries. Non denominationalism is one of the fastest growing “groups” in modern Christianity – in 2017 they were 1 in 6 Americans, which is double that from 2000.

1 Like

Without expanding on my previous statement–that there ought to be some scientific evidence left for us to examine if Adam & Eve were indeed created perfect, not fated to die or have difficulty raising food or in childbirth, all of this a mere 6,000 yrs. ago–it might well seem to be scientism. But I think you will agree that scientific evidence overwhelmingly supports the belief that all animals that were born on this earth eventually died here. To believe in exceptions, like Elijah, one must rely entirely on Faith in Scripture; i.e., there can be NO accommodation with science. That’s OK. The most important belief for Christians is that Jesus rose from the dead, and that is not likely to given any scientific proof. That’s where I’ll make my leap of faith.

This is the problem which in the past prevented the Vatican from seriously considering Teilhard’s theology that is based upon a “God Ahead” rather than just a “God Above”. And Rome was probably right, in that most Christians are more surely kept in line through fear of Hell than being enticed with making, with God’s help, a much improved World.

I agree with your quote above, but would add the following: While we are all in fair agreement on most sins of commission, we are often unaware of Sins of Omission. For example, while most of us do not have the skills necessary to serve as a medical missionary or to provide housing and retraining for the homeless–obvious moves toward an improved creation–we often ignore the need for both physical and financial support for these efforts. We do indeed need to refrain from robbery, murder, and debauchery, but surely Jesus expects more of us when he asks us to “take up His Cross and follow Him.”
Al Leo

Science certainly refutes the 6,000 year ago thing, but again, it simply can’t speak about any special act of creation or whether or not Adam, in his evolutionary line, was initially morally perfect or something. I don’t know about whether or not Adam was initially fated to die, even on a literal reading of Genesis.

This paper by Joshua Swamidass may have relevance here…

http://peacefulscience.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/GenealogicalAncestry-Swamidass.pdf

I agree with your quote above, but would add the following: While we are all in fair agreement on most sins of commission, we are often unaware of Sins of Omission. For example, while most of us do not have the skills necessary to serve as a medical missionary or to provide housing and retraining for the homeless–obvious moves toward an improved creation–we often ignore the need for both physical and financial support for these efforts. We do indeed need to refrain from robbery, murder, and debauchery, but surely Jesus expects more of us when he asks us to “take up His Cross and follow Him.”

I agree with everything here. There are many forms of sins, no doubt.

Unfortunately I never learned to effectively use the search engine on the Forum either. But Elie did, and she posted a link to a later post of mine. You can find it under the topic “What does a miracle mean to you?” The date is Oct. 2017, and its about 10% from the top. Hope this leads you to it.
Al Leo

1 Like

I think this is it

1 Like

Must be. Thanks.

You know, I believe this is how “signs” and “omens” have always worked. Our conscious minds notice details in the environment which are relevant to a question or concern. Now I don’t think the noticing is entirely random since I do believe there are levels of consciousness where we know the answers and it is those levels which direct our conscious attention. The net result is the transfer of insight so that we can more fruitfully focus our conscious intentions.

There needn’t be any divine manipulation of the physical world in order for the “miraculous” to happen, leastwise not the way I choose to understand that word.