What biblical reasons are there to accept the scientific view of the earth as billions of years old?

Neither would I. However, if there had only been one no-hitter ever thrown in the history of baseball, and it was preceded by God saying there would be this no-hitter thrown by this pitcher, and followed by God saying there would never again be a no-hitter thrown by any pitcher, and no one had ever seen or heard of a no-hitter by any pitcher in the thousands of years that followed, then I might think it was fair to call that no-hitter supernatural.

My understanding is that the YEC folks seek to integrate the supernatural (the Bible) and the natural (what science studies). Whether they would call their arguments for the flood ā€œnaturalistic,ā€ you would have to take up with them. My point is that since science focuses on studying natural processes (methodological naturalism), I donā€™t see how you can claim that it should be able to discover or predict a supernatural event.

No, to use your words, you gave me your interpretation of the Bible. Itā€™s unfair of you to call your interpretations of the Bible ā€œbiblical testimony,ā€ but call othersā€™ interpretations of the Bible ā€œtheir interpretations of the Bible.ā€

As Iā€™ve said, this is a false dichotomy, and itā€™s the way flat-earthers talk. ā€œIf the earth is not still, then God has deceived us.ā€

Iā€™m not carrying water for them. Iā€™m just acknowledging that they exist, and that they might be right - however small you deem the probability.

No, I gave you actual Biblical testimony. What the text says is indisputable. Itā€™s so indisputable that thousands of commentators have agreed about what it appears to be saying. Consequently, thousands of commentators have interpreted it in various ways to try and reconcile it with a young earth or young creation of humans while contradicting the scientific evidence, while other commentators have interpreted it differently, and consequently had no conflict with science at all.

You need to explain why it is a false dichotomy to say that God left a pile of evidence that says He did not create the earth supernaturally in only six days. Why is it a false dichotomy to say this? What flat earthers say is a false dichotomy because thereā€™s an actual false dilemma in their statement. In my statement there is no dilemma; thereā€™s no dichotomy at all, false or otherwise.

3 Likes

You label your view as indisputable in the first three sentences and then describe the dispute over it in the fourth. You should forgive a reader if he is confused.

Iā€™ve explained it repeatedly and in various ways. Once again: since science excludes the study of supernatural processes why do you claim that youā€™d scientifically know what results a supernatural process would leave? Once again again: ā€œGod left a pile of evidenceā€ is your characterization of what youā€™ve seen, not Godā€™s. Once again again again: If God has told you, in effect, to disregard what you think the scientific evidence is telling you (a la the words engraved on the convex automobile mirror) how can you claim Heā€™s deceived you?

No I donā€™t. I didnā€™t say thereā€™s a dispute over the verses. I said people agree with what it appears to be saying, and consequently interpret to indicate either X or Y. Both agree that these verses appear to be saying that there were already other humans in existence before Adam and Eve. This doesnā€™t agree with the view of creation which people like you have, so you say ā€œWell we canā€™t interpret these passages of Genesis literally, what theyā€™re really saying is God approved of incest, and that Cainā€™s sister was happy to marry a fraticidal brotherā€. Itā€™s the same way that YECs red-pen Genesis 1, marking up all the parts of the chapter which they say should be interpreted non-literally.

Well this is getting away from the dichotomy question (which I suppose will remain unanswered), but again this has been replied to many times. Weā€™re not talking about how we know scientifically what results a supernatural process would leave. Weā€™re talking about the fact that we know, scientifically, what results a natural process would leave (including a natural process initiated by God, as in this case). We know this from repeated experimentation. So we know what results a natural process would leave. Theyā€™re exactly the results we see today. So the burden of evidence is on you to demonstrate that a supernatural process would leave exactly the same results as a natural process.

Not at all, God Himself tells us that the natural creation is a reliable witness to His handiwork. Itā€™s in the Bible!

But He hasnā€™t done this at all. Do you really think that He has said that we should disregard the scientific evidence?

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œMike_Gantt, post:456, topic:36256ā€]
I am, for all practical purposes, scientifically illiterate. Iā€™m not hear to discuss or learn science.[/quote]

I see a huge inconsistency between those two statements.

[quote] I take your word for it that the scientific evidence strongly points you to an old earth.
[/quote] Iā€™m not seeing that you do. And yet again, itā€™s not the passive, retrospective inference as you describe it. Itā€™s predictions about what we will directly observe that make it so convincing, and where YEC pseudoscience falls apart.

2 Likes

George:
You are carrying water for these groups with imaginary buckets.

Youā€™re also arguing that they are actively doing science while claiming scientific illiteracy and an unwillingness to learn about science.

How does that work?

2 Likes

I donā€™t see the integration that you see.

Whatā€™s the inconsistency? If I wanted science information, Iā€™d go to a science site. I came to BioLogos because it is a Christian website.

When I go to their sites I notice that they talk a lot about science.

I notice that they donā€™t talk about science, but then Iā€™m scientifically literate.

Do you see how you are implicitly claiming scientific literacy?

1 Like

No. In fact, in your eyes I must surely be confirming my scientific illiteracy.

How can you know that ā€œthey talk a lot about scienceā€ if you are scientifically illiterate?

1 Like

For starters, I notice sentences that have the word ā€œscienceā€ in them.

Thatā€™s it? Are you kidding?

1 Like

What do you expect from someone who is scientifically illiterate?

I expect a willingness to learn about science, coupled with a reticence to making claims about understanding the nature of science.

1 Like

I could understand this if we were interacting on a science website. However, this is a Christian website. Surely, BioLogos was not started because its supporters thought there wasnā€™t enough information about science available on the web.

Thatā€™s a false dichotomy:

BioLogos invites the church and the world
to see the harmony between science and biblical faith
as we present an evolutionary understanding of Godā€™s creation.

And how do you explain your repeated claims about the nature of science as mere retrospective examination of evidence?

1 Like