What about failed biblical prophecies?

I’m that rarity.

1 Like

As already mentioned by Terry I think it would be best to go through each one. But I think in a general sense much of it can simply be looked at as pep talking. It’s like before a football game where they say ,” go in there and crush them. Make them cry. We will have them crawling back to their buses and some of them will be dragged off the field “ and then the ten year olds go and goof off for an hour. Some of it seems like it’s written as poetry. It’s definitely all hyperbolic.

Edom is said to be on fire forever and ever, and smoke seen forever and ever, and it will be desolate and so on. It’s definitely not still on fire and desolate. Conditional Immortality and Universalism both are built off of recognizing the “ poetic war speech “ they used all the time. I think that some of it is just poetry. Some of it is just pep talking. Some of it is probably just plain old fictional storytelling that happened after the fact. Kind of like when there is a old house ins neighborhood that’s been abandoned for 10+ years and the real reason is simply because a storm damaged the house, the people renting moved out, the owner never fixed it and now it’s something they are holding onto as property value increases before selling it but all the neighborhood kids who was born after the fact look at it and decided no one lives there because a monster haunts it and before you know it a entire family was slaughtered there and if you go inside, it follows you back home and slaughters your family just like it did to JoeJoe…. Who JoeJoe…. Well no one talks about him anymore but it was grisly.

Storytelling is just part of our species way of conveying feelings and hopes. How many of us as teens told someone we were dating that “ we will love you forever, even if we break up and it’s ten years later if you come back we will drop everything and be with you…. Or this and that…. It’s not like these lovestruck teens are trying to deceive each other with their words knowing in a year they will probably be broken up.

3 Likes

I would note generally on things here, that there are different definitions of “inerrant”. The basic two that I am familiar with are “inerrant in every way”–the hyper-literalist inerrency, and “inerrant in all that it intends to teach”–the “inerrancy” of the Westminster Confession and the Chicago Statement. The former is untenable, whereas the latter is possible.

3 Likes

If I’m telling people a story and I fumble up on various details, people will start doubting my memory of the story itself. That’s basically all I was asking about Paul’s story. You don’t have to remember every small detail, but for something as old, ancient, and controversial as the Bible, proof that stories are reliable or truthful is pretty important. With how high the chances are of a story being changed or altered over time, it can be pretty fragile to other claims. I myself aren’t the kind of person to jump on the false bandwagon when a story is slightly inconsistent, but others may, and defending those stories is important, especially if they’re one of the more important ones to the faith and validity (such as the story of Jesus). This is merely my opinion of course, but just a thought.

2 Likes
1 Like

If you are interested in moving goalposts and excessive mental gymnastics.

2 Likes

What intends to teach?

Hmmm. Pot. Black.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.