Unobservability of an Uncaused Cause

Why not?901

It’s like objects in space or meta-space, any quantity is possible, but not an infinite number of them.

The brute fact of the infinite past says otherwise. Deal with it. The alternative is irrationality.

Even if the past is infinite like the future, an infinite number of events cannot have occurred.

The past is infinite unlike the future. An infinite number of events have occurred.

Hmm.

Stephen Hawking – The Beginning of Time

Another attempt to avoid a beginning to time…

An infinite number does not occur.

It can’t not. It’s the brute fact. But then again yeah, infinite have occurred, no number is involved. So you’re right! No number is involved. Infinite is.

Some brutes are imaginary.

“no number is involved”

An infinitely divisible non-discrete becoming is still a rational possibility.

I’m sure. The head spinner is that the beginning of actual infinity is from now. Backwards. Things like us have always been having this conversation.

Going back to the original question, who else has thought about the unobservability of an uncaused cause?

(a non-discrete becoming cannot account for objective events other people cause)

Well everyone who is honest about God.

Being able to conceive it’s unobservability, is right there along side being able to understand there are only three possible statements for explaining the universe.

It really is an initiation into metaphysics proper, and it’s also what allows you to see there cannot be an infinite number of things like planets in space or events in time.

There’s no connection whatsoever. It’s just a matter of incredulity which I share. The brute fact of infinity in eternity remains.

Reality doesn’t work.

How does a mathematical physicist work out the forces on a table with four legs? Work out the forces on a table with no legs, then with infinite legs, interpolate.

Choose:

Nothing/Someone did nothing for forever and then it/they did the universe.

Nothing/Someone has always done universes.

Rationality offers no alternative.

2 Likes

Nice response… I’m thinking of how best to reply… there’s a lot there.

1 Like

Your thinking is very flawed. You made forever into a timeframe, when here it is not. Forever here is timelessness, which is beyond our ken. It is God’s territory.

Thus you have brought God Who is infinite down to our level, which is finite. That elevates us in effect to infinity because then we are able to judge God.

We are able to evaluate God with the criteria that God has given us. That is good and fair, but that is not what we do. We want to put a self-centered spin on our thinking. What makes you say that God did nothing before God created time?

Here’s a good final corollary. If there is a God, there are an infinity of Gods. Unaware of each other.

[I’m sure ours is humble about that.]

I remembered a question from the previous discussion about the “brute fact” that went unanswered by the other person:

Are these two sets of numbers determined differently or the same?

(1,2,3…)
(…3,2,1)

Hmmm. As long as they’re not counted, just ordered, the same I feel.