Universalism and the concept of all being saved

@NickolaosPappas

Can you specify the “why?” you are asking about? I will be happy to be very specific.

To expand a little bit on what I mentioned in the prior post:

Egypt had a very generous view of the afterlife:

If you were righteous, you enjoyed a satisfying afterlife.
If you weren’t, you were extinguished.
Egyptians had a “lake of fire”… but it was more for decoration. As far as I’ve read, nobody was thrown into that lake of fire.

When Persian dualism invaded Egypt, Egyptian “mellow” started to erode.

But for me, the most peculiar thing about the Old Testament is its general lack of interest in either a general afterlife, or a general resurrection.

The afterlife was more or less what was implied by the episode of the Witch of Endor:

Unchecked Copy Box 1Sa 28:15 Then Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?”

I think i might have answered to you in a previous post about this on another thread . Daniel had some verses about afterlife. Hebrews believed in it expect the Pharisees i think or an other sect. But it wasnt really the focus of that book i guess so thats why.Also Isaiah But your dead will live; their bodies will rise. You, who dwell in the dust, wake up and shout for joy. Your dew is like the dew of the morning; the earth will give birth to her dead.”

@NickolaosPappas

My apologies… I don’t think I ever saw that response. Maybe you didn’t put my @gbrooks9 on it?
In any case, I’m happy to respond to that right now.

Out of the entire O.T., there are somewhere around 3 possible mentions. And Daniel is notoriously recent, right? Isaiah is most often understood as assembled from 3 different writers.

The story of a lengthy Egyptian stay does not seem to find supporting evidence in what should have been a SLURRY of references to an afterlife, and to Maat (Truth, Justice).

Archaeology even shows kings of Judah using Egyptian symbolism in its seals… and yet … its primary religious documents? NADA!

What the real mystery is: how or why did the High Priest clans work so hard to keep the bible SCRUBBED of references to an afterlife or a resurrection?
[[ Click on image for maximum sizing! ]]

So ?

Plus the concept was already known i think. The concept of afterlife was already known meaning already there (i dont know how else can i describe it).Also are you denying the afterlife? If so i cant convince you otherwise. But Christianity does teach us an afterlife. So its a matter of belief.

Sorry about that didnt read your last sentence. Well do you think that people got out of the bible particular sentences for what reason?

@NickolaosPappas

The question to ask is: what problem was the O.T. solving when it was virtually silent on the afterlife?

After Alexander the Great eliminated royal sponsorship of Zoroastrianism, the magi started disseminating their ideas and views to not just make a living… but to spread the truth far and wide.

The Zoroastrian truth was that the righteous enjoyed an afterlife … IMMEDIATELY … not at a General Resurrection.

Eventually, we have the Essenes (Jewish “adepts” of Zoroastrian views) teaching many similar ideas… and the Pharisee became more of a conservative “old school” of Judaism. The Enochian and Angelologies pushed the margins further and further.

I think the Maccabees is the logical extension of Jewish views of an afterlife… with the high point being the fictionalized speech at Masada.

I want to come back to this. I wrote:

Mitch replied:

Maybe because I was so tired yesterday and still am, I didn’t catch this yesterday. Mitch, you really need to slow down and read what is actually written. By what dictionary do you get to say that when I said DEAL, you think DEAL means WORSHIP?

As slightly alluded to in a later reply, I must mention that when one does a year of grad work in philosophy before going out into the real world, one does run into all sorts of interesting questions most people don’t ever run across. Such is the Euthyphro dilemma.

Are things moral because God wills them or does God will them because they are moral?
The best answer to this question I know of comes from Leibniz
he addresses it in 2 places.

G.W. Leibniz stated, in Reflections on the Common Concept of Justice (circa 1702): > “It is generally agreed that whatever God wills is good and just. But there remains the question whether it is good and just because God wills it or whether God wills it because it is good and just; in other words, whether justice and Goodness are arbitrary or whether they belong to the necessary and eternal truths about the nature of things.”

As a matter of fact it would destroy the justice of God. For why praise him for acting justly if the concept of justice adds nothing to his act? And to say, Stat pro ratione voluntas– ‘Let my will stand for the reason’–is definitely the motto of a tyrant. Moreover, this opinion wuld hardly distinguish god from the devil." Philosophical Papers and Letters, p. 561-573, p. 561

"

> By saying that things are not good by any rule of goodness but by God’s will alone, it seems to me that one unthinkingly destroys all love of God and all his glory. For why praise him for what he has done, if he would be equally praiseworthy in doing just the contrary? Where then will be his justice and his wisdom, if there only remains a certain despotic power, if will takes the place of reason, and according to the definition of tyrants, what pleases the most powerful is just by that alone.

" Gottfried Leibniz, Discourse on Metaphysics, Chicago: Open Court, 1902, p. 5.

Mitch, I agree with you that God must set morality because it is moral, not it is moral because it is what God wants.

I will go farther to say that this is one of the interesting things about the Triinity. Our God is a relational God–each part of the trinity has an interelationship with the other parts, and by the philosophy I learned years ago. Morality arises in relational situatins.

"Were all other things, gods and men and starry heavens, blotted out from this universe, and were there left but one rock with two loving souls upon it, that rock would have as thoroughly moral a constitution as any possible world which the eternities and immensities could harbor. It would be a tragic constitution, because the rock’s inhabitants would die. But while they lived, there would be real good thing and real bad things in the universe; there would be obligations, claims, and expectations; obediences, refusals, and disappointments; compunctions, and longings for harmony to come again, and inward peace of conscience when it was restored; there would, in short, be a moral life, whose active energy would have no limit but the intensity of interest in each other with which the hero and heroine might be endowed." William James, “The Moral Philosopher and the Moral Life,” in Max H. Fisch ed, Classic American Philosophers, (Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall, 1951), p. 173

Furthermore, this relational aspect of the triune God has a strong impact on God’s ability to love. A singlet God, alone in the universe is likely to create man out of his needs, not for our need to have someone love him. Such a situation is someone narcissistic, not agape. A triune god which shares love with the other members of the trinity, does not need to create us to ‘love him’ He can create us to love us.

To bring this back to the topic of this thread, it is clear to me from Rom 6:10 and other verses that Jesus paid for everyone’s sin. ‘not wishing that any should perish’, but that doesn’t mean everyone will opt for salvation. It is also clear that this is true from verses like 1 peter 4:17-18

For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? 18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

If everyone makes it to heaven, there is no reason for that question to be asked. And while many don’t like Revelation, unless we make this verse say what it doesn’t say there will be people who don’t make it to heaven. Rev 20:15

And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

That totally avoids answering my questions.

One more question:
What is the motivation for a Christian to share their faith?

1 Like

Excellent! That is indeed the heart of the matter.

Yes!

Indeed. On the rejection of universalism we agree. It just doesn’t agree with what I see in the Bible, history, or the behavior of people. There is an addictive accelerating degenerative aspect to the self-destructive habits of sin. People do not learn better and turn towards goodness no matter how insane the alternative looks. Not only are we doomed left to ourselves and require grace, but we have to choose – provide a crack in the door, however small, for God to enter in (even if God has to make the door from scratch in the first place). There is no life and love without that choice, so anything else would be contradiction in terms.

1 Like

Hm, good [quote=“Dale, post:88, topic:42827, full:true”]

That totally avoids answering my questions.

One more question:
What is the motivation for a Christian to share their faith?
[/quote]

Do you mind if I step in? My wife and I discussed that. I think it’s the same reason any one would want to learn about science–if one learns about God, that’s the ultimate good. We’ll spend eternity doing that, any way. Would we not want to know about God’s son that gave his life for us?

D James Kennedy, a Calvinist who I wouldn’t agree with on many basics, also said that in spite of predestination, God told us to witness. I’d agree with him there, too. However, it’s also important to remember that we are not head counting–God knows where each person is. Knowing that He’s not going to judge them for what they know or don’t know frees us to serve them as friends and as Christ rather than operating on a head count basis. We’re befriending them as it should be, to serve them, rather than to convert. Does that make sense, sort of? Thanks.

that’s a good observation. However, what do you think about universal reconciliation? It doesn’t occur till we repent. (Lewis and Macdonald, among others, follow that). Thanks.

When you see a really good movie or read a really good book, do you ever look forward to sharing it with those you love? When something good begins to fill your life from the inside out, might not that be a motivation to share? We like sharing a “good product” we discovered at market - how much more something that is life-changing for the better?

Or is avoidance of punishment supposed to remain the primary or only rung of any motivational ladder to help people respond to God?

1 Like

Speaking of hot topics for discussion … has anybody else here kept up with the latest episodes of Simpsons? New minister in town! (Poor Reverend Lovejoy. - Flanders isn’t happy about it either.) If anyone wants to start a side conversation (or perhaps a private message) about theology and the Simpsons, I’m here. Might be a bit too … well … Simpsons for some.

1 Like

I think my first questions are not being addressed. They are mostly aimed at the universalist or annihilations, and @mitchellmckain, whom I may be misunderstanding about his God being able to and therefore saving everyone (which is universalism). Why should the unbeliever care?

I think my latter question is being misconstrued, or I didn’t frame it well, which is likely. It is not so much about threat, but caring about the long term. If, in the long term, everyone is saved, or those that aren’t cease to exist, what is it about being a Christian that should entice them, since to them, the good is merely an abstraction? How is a Christian motivated to overcome that, and with what?

Obviously you are misunderstanding because I have repeatedly made it clear that I disagree with universalism. And this is why I haven’t addressed the questions you refer to because they had nothing to do with me. I would guess that the problem is my defense of the God of love which in this thread you are assuming means that I am arguing for universalism. But the problem with universalism isn’t God’s willingness to save us, but the willingness of some people to be saved.

Or… how about Rob Bell’s famous book, “Love Wins,” arguing the case for universalism? To this my counter argument has been 1) “Power of love” is a contradiction in terms, something which is a means to power is not love, 2) Love didn’t win in the garden of Eden and and it hasn’t been winning all that much ever since. God will certainly be victorious. But that victory is heaven and earth… “on earth as it is in heaven” to go back to the Lord’s prayer again. But part of love is that we are free to choose our own way. There is a reason why I say that hell is our heart’s desire. For many that will always sound better than God’s desire for us which is what we will find in heaven. I am not even sure they will ever realize this is not all its cracked up to be.

When this topic came up before with Klax, I tried to explain in some detail how the black and white treatment of this question (with his invention of the term “damnationalist”) was a big part of the problem… as if there were only two sides involved. In those terms, you can definitely say that I don’t fit into either camp. I do not believe that God created hell or that God sends people to hell. I believe hell is something people do to themselves. So if you are too black and white about this issue, that can make you think I am a universalist when in fact I am not.

I do think this is part of the spectrum of Christian belief. However, I do not, and never have believed it to be true. As I said above to gbob, “it just doesn’t agree with what I see in the Bible, history, or the behavior of people.”

Just credit me with a short memory.

I presume you eisegete this to mean they sentence themselves?:

You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell?

Well you should know that there is a great deal of the Bible which I do not take literally. There is certainly a sense in which God sentences people to hell just as we speak of God as the one and only judge. God most certainly is not going to change the rules in order to let people off the hook. And it is very important for us to understand that ONLY God CAN judge. But I frankly think this means that only God can see things the way they really are and not that God is literally picking out people and saying “don’t like this one” and tossing them into a fire. Nor do I think there will ever be some big courtroom in which people will be put on trial with their eternal disposition at stake. That is the way that people do things – and so we often think of God in those same terms. But I don’t think that is the way God does things. Frankly, the way we see God do things is by setting up a system by which things happen automatically like the laws of nature. Then within that context, God lends a helping hand as the rules allow.

My impaired memory does recall a conversation with you about God’s providence.

Dear God,
Please click on the disk icon for me.
XOXOX
Dan

1 Like

Haha. :slightly_smiling_face:  

1 Like