Two questions about how central the question of origins is to your core beliefs

(Dominik Kowalski) #181

Wasn´t this the story of “21 gram”? When the scientist weighted the rat(?)/cat(?) before and after their death and they lossed this amount of weight, which led to his conclusion that dogs didn´t have a soul, since they didn´t have that weight loss?

Edit: Found him: Duncan MacDougall, claimed to have measured the weight of the soul in 1907

(Shawn T Murphy) #183

No, not a religious saint, but rather a prophet. He was referred to as being a muse. This is the Greek equivalent to the Spirit of Truth Jesus promised. (John 14:17 15:26 16:13) Socrates explained more about God than any single prophet.

Intelligent design is big on rhetoric but comes up short on research published in peer-reviewed scientific journals. If your program is more, then let’s see the research.

Who?

What school was this?

(Randy) #186

I was home schooled with Abeka book :). My parents only did it because there were no schools in Niger I could attend within a few hundred miles. The authors were pretty much anti-Catholic, unfortunately .If I remember right (and maybe I don’t), the book said that according to some folks who revered the Greek philosophers, they must have been enlightened enough to go to Heaven and not “pagans.” But maybe I got that mixed up with another book. It was an interesting mixture of science and a very narrow view of Scripture, if I recall right. --but that was 35 years ago.

It wasn’t that important. Googling it doesn’t bring it up again, so maybe I did get it mixed up.

(Randy) #187

Thanks, Mr Murphy. Hm I respectfully disagree, though I get your drift. I remember John 16:13 “But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.”

and I wouldn’t say that the Holy Spirit is anything like Socrates. He doesn’t lead by asking questions :), and he doesn’t currently tell me things to come (but it could happen). But I get your drift.

Sounds awful! But there’s lots of awful stuff out there.

(Randy) #189

It was well intentioned, but my parents and the other missionaries were kind of shocked when I regurgitated it. Thankfully, there were Anglicans who at one of the Bible studies set me straight on monasticism and whether people could glorify God from the Catholic and High church (and they were more godly than a lot of people I read). It was a great experience in a way, because I could see how people came from either side of the coin. I am just glad there were good people to correct me before I got in trouble!

(system) #190

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.