Three Tips from a Pastor to Care for Those Deconstructing

I would definitely suggest that my kidney cancer was such a thing. There’s a CCM song that has words to the effect that God recycles pain into gain.

1 Like

In bible - Joseph’s brothers intended harm but God turned it to great good for all.

1 Like

A great example. :+1:

I have been on this deconstruction path for many years, as a parishoner, and as a pastor (Episcopal priest) The three elements of ministry are certainly good, but most of this BioLogic rational seems a bit incomplete. After examining much information regarding the state of religion in the ancient Middle East, the OT in-house Hebrew mythos in very engaging, but utterly within the ancient mindset; and extends into the NT record as well. All I can salvage, in terms of “faith,” is some universally acknowledged concepts of morality and ethics - and social precepts for more efficient human interaction. All else is either myth, legend, or the centuries-long outworking of internal Hebrew ethnocentric dilemmas. It will all dissolve into the mists of continued human progress in the area of human brain development and social engineering. I still go to church(mass) land enjoy the mythic ideas and beauty of the high Liturgy. Of course, I translate as the service progresses from antiquated myth to modern scientific and rational thought. Younger -unchurched folks probably either can’t comprehend this processing mode, or simply don’t care to bother. Their choice of course.

2 Likes

Good luck to you in finding a good way to to continue in your life. I wonder if you are familiar with Penner’s book The End of Apologetics? It rethinks many aspects of Christianity through a post modern lens. As an outsider I’m liking how he thinks about it. There is currently a discussion thread in progress which will start in on the fifth and final chapter Monday. If you’re interested there is a link to a free online copy of the book which I’m using available on the first post in the thread. Your perspective would be a great asset to the group. (No one would expect you to read through the entire thread to join in. Any impressions you care to share would be welcome.)

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I’ll check it out.

I think “incomplete” is pretty much a given characteristic for any human program aimed at understanding reality. If you encounter any that claim to be “complete”, the only thing that tells you is that here is a group that decided to quit learning.

3 Likes

Hello Iarry_James,

I’m not sure if the rest of your post is an explanation of the perceived incompletenes, or a rather a description of your own views. Could you clarify?

My understanding of Biologos’s primary purpose is not to “correct” or “unify” theology or cosmology or concept of science, but rather to allow Christians of all stripes a basic framework for understanding their faith in light of what is known about the natural world. Secondarily, the Forum allows participants a unique opportunity to talk with other people of faith/s or no faith and to interact with people who strike us as interesting, insightful, thoughtful, etc and hold dialogue, which otherwise would not be possible on this scale.

Everyone hanging out here comes with different purposes, baggage, thoughts, views, background. You can sort by category a bit but that’s limited as well.

Welcome. It’s good to hear from you.

2 Likes

Perhaps “incomplete” is a bit too sweeping. My first post was merely an initial outlay of my current assessment of human ideation and praxis regarding religion and philosophy. My exploration of religious thinking has been precipitated mainly by my experience with “church,” in all its complexity. I struggled with it for years as a seminary student, and then church planting priest. In the end I found it all seriously flawed by a rather truncated view of faith and church structure. After reading and studying non-religious critiques, (sciece, historical records, and sociological assessments) I decided to assume an open and compassionate view of Christianity that allowed me to live in a kind of uneasy peace with my evangelical family and friends. One has to weigh the consequences and live accordingly.
I see the entire Bible as a mix of fact and mythicism. The facts are the hooks upon which whatever faith elements one needs or desires. The reliability of the hooks can vary widely. The faith elements for me are determined by the usefulness thereof. It is impossible to verify each historical issue. It’s much too complex. The dilemma is that all people, Christians included, are living in a world where science has shone the light of research and analysis on every aspect of religion.
So my current interest lies in researching further the validity quotient of historical and scientific “hoioks” and what aspects of religion, (Chrkstian, Taoist, Buddhist, et al. are truly useful for enlightened modern thought and living. As I said earlier, I still greatly enjoy the High Anglican Liturgy, as it affords a non-“emotional” and highly artistic way of interacting with religious principles. The problem with science alone is that it is flat and opaque, lacking the poetic luminosity of symbol and myth. Even though religion is highly symbolic and fanciful, it has that indescribable capacity to go beyond “facticity” into the realm of transcendent perception.
I know. I’m attempting to have my cake and eat it to, or something like that. But it works for me a this juncture. Thanks be to God!

2 Likes