Three Christian Scientists Explain Why They are Marching for Science

You suppose and assume incorrectly – I am well aware of the history involved. That was why I asked about the relative harm. [quote=“Lonnie_E_Schubert, post:20, topic:35615”]
St. Paul did more with “neither male nor female” than all political activism.
[/quote]
So you’re arguing that predominantly Christian nations have awarded equal rights to women since the time of Paul? In what country were women treated fairly under the law without political activism?[quote=“Lonnie_E_Schubert, post:20, topic:35615”]
I suppose it is politically correct to ignore the fact Christianity quietly eliminated slavery in only a few hundred years.
[/quote]
Christianity eliminated slavery within the regions it controlled after some 18 or 19 hundred years, until which time it practiced slavery quite happily. More to the point, the means by which Christianity ultimately eliminated slavery was precisely by political activism, so I don’t see how you can treat activism and the fruits of Christianity as being somehow in conflict. The process was hardly quiet either – it included both Bloody Kansas and the Civil War.

1 Like

Like it or not, this is what that March for Science accomplishes:
http://www.drroyspencer.com/2017/04/shots-fired-into-the-christyspencer-building-at-uah/

And don’t forget the observational evidence:

I think you have established your a little lacking in historical facts:

I am always happy to learn new historical facts. Unfortunately, you haven’t presented any.

@tomr,

What is the alternative? Scientists have been avoiding marches for decades … and yet we still get paranoid thinking that scienstists around the Earth, speaking different languages, and from nations with many different motivations, are somehow collectively conspiring to alter their findings in order to disappoint a handful of billiionaires? Do you find that credible?

If there was ever a time to make a noise, it is now when we have an administration that intentionally supports the publishing of Fake News.

@Lonnie_E_Schubert

In reverse order:

1. Your rule that activism always does more harm than good seems to ignore the whole point and history of Civil Disobedience. Civil Disobedience led to the liberation of India, and it led to some sucessful conclusions of the Civil Rights movement.

2. Are you blaming slavery in America’s Dixie on the Ottomans? I’d like to hear how that discussion would go with a handful of Southern Baptist ministers (then or now)!

3. Your raising the issue of Paul and women’s rights is not really responsive to today’s concern about the suppression of scientific inquiry. Even the Catholic Church, most notoriously linked to such suppression is now a supporter of the pursuit of Science.

George, I am sorry if you misunderstood my comment. I accept the findings of science about man made climate change and think something should be done about it. But the way I see it, marching in the street is counter productive. I hope I am wrong and that the march is a success.

Who are the handful of billionaires? Oil money? I have an electric car which I keep charged up with solar panels. But in the rural area where I live many people drive pick-ups. These folks know that the efforts to combat global warming are having a negative impact on their lives. If people unfamiliar with science are told by scientists that their life style is destroying the planet they are not going to want to believe it. These folks are not a handful of billionaires but they are the ones that we need to convince. The more noise you make the more you will reenforce their belief that science is a political tool of the Left.

Behind every Billionaire Koch Brother are those men who are fed by a Koch Brother. At some point, people have to demonstrate for Truth, and let the chips fall as they may.