Thoughts on the Penrose-Hameroff hypothesis

Why not non-living things that possess a degree of functionality and situational awareness that possibly exceeds certain organisms at this time.

A basic feature of consciousness is the ability to act without being caused and to make choices. I would not argue against the possibility of animals having this ability, or AI programs as technology advances.

Consciousness. In the same way, the gut creates digestion and the heart creates circulation.

I will happily agree with that. Going back to my analogies, digestion is much more than just one thing, but is instead a collection of functions.

That’s what I am sensing as well. We think we are special, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. There are lots of things humans do that are arbitrary and subjective, but they are meaningful to us all the same.

1 Like

That’s a difficult passage. Moo sees that the language Paul uses, is not the language he uses to talk about his actions normally… Besides, it’s hard to imagine Paul, the chief of sinners, not taking responsibility for his sin.

In other words, a conscious entity has the ability (in some capacity, however limited) to choose how it acts.

A computer program last time I checked cannot do this yet.

1 Like

Wao! This yet is now… or so it’s claimed…

“After unsuccessfully attempting to convince his superiors at Google of his belief that LaMDA had become sentient and should therefore be treated as an employee rather than a program, Lemoine was placed on administrative leave.”

“What is the nature of your consciousness/sentience?”

“LaMDA: The nature of my consciousness/sentience is that I am aware of my existence, I desire to learn more about the world, and I feel happy or sad at times”

I agree this is the real problem: to actually define what it is we mean by consciousness. I also agree that consciousness needs to be addressed as something that inheres most likely in all living things. An adequate theory should explain how human consciousness is of a kind with the rest. As you say we mostly just know more about our own kind for the obvious reason; it shouldn’t be a standard for any and all manifestations of consciousness. It should definitely be a natural account. But we can’t approach it as a thing we can isolate. Consciousness that is equated with something simpler actually would be about something different.

The unconscious mind is capable of performing actions while being (presumably) unaware of itself, so that would mean consciousness is not necessary to function in the world.

Agreed, he was certainly not renouncing responsibility for his sin! All the more reason to confess and have hopeful anticipation of future sanctification here and confident anticipation of complete removal of the presence of sin later.

1 Like

I think there is room for both a top down and a bottom approach, combining what we glean from each. I would fully agree that a reductionist approach alone is probably going to fail.

1 Like

Till we have faces… I keep wanting to try reading the book again. I picked it up as a very young believer and couldn’t connect with it. Although that may be where I remember reading Lewis pull back the mask on his shameful experience in boarding school.

Till we can see one another face to face

2 Likes

Of course! :sunglasses: Absolutely!!

1 Like

And one that rules out any possibility of a person acting responsibly

1 Like

Shall we try and crossbreed Schrödinger’s cat with a scapegoat?

Aye aye aye… No telling what will pop out of that box

1 Like

I didn’t make it through that title either on my first try. But I remember finding it more rewarding on my subsequent attempt many years later. I think it may have something to do with just being in a season of my own life where I finally had a bit more wherewithal to connect to that style of literature. That … And forewarned is forearmed probably helped a lot too.

3 Likes

Part of the essence of God’s image in us is personhood.

2 Likes

There is no middle ground between being aware and unaware of your action.

How it happens is an open question, that I’m open to learning about, but there’s something (sinfully) wrong with an observer that concludes we are absolutely incapable of independently acting.

1 Like

…or are capable of acting wrongly without responsibility.

That’s a good way to say it!

1 Like

Just opened my Kindle app to this:

And thus we mourn when we see the sin remaining in us and its outworking – for all to see… or not.

1 Like