Thoughts on the Book "Return of the God Hypothesis"

• I was, but now that you mention it, it’s for you too.

If you do not want God/Jesus in your life, that is up to you, but many others disagree. They look forward to the time when Jesus will return to defeat the gods of this world like Putin.

Thank you for Palm 82. God will make a way for Ukraine.

It was you who brought it back up again.

What Bible verses lend credence to God’s attribute of omnipresence?

Systematic theology à la ChatGPT

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

Spirit: pneuma, not body and spirit, just spirit. Not confined to any dimension of space or time.

Per Heiser, I have no problem with YHWH being above and ruling over other elohim. That does not mean he is like them in every other attribute except for his dominance.

My first reaction to the OP and title of this thread was to point the finger at Dawkins for improperly treating God as a scientific hypothesis, opening the door for others to do the same. But… on further reflection, I suppose you could see Dawkins as merely responding to the ID crowd who had already pushed God as a scientific hypothesis. But of course Bill_II is correct in pointing out that this could never be a scientific hypothesis because it is not falsifiable making the scientific methodology inapplicable.

The only one of these I see as remotely connected to God’s existence is the first, the big bang. It is because the theists got the right answer to the question of whether the universe has a beginning. However, one can argue that they were bound to get something right.

Fine tuning is flawed by the simple fact that we have no way of calculating probability for any other possibility than the universe as it is. And it is ultimately a God of the Gaps type argument because science could discover reasons why any of these constants are as they are.

As for the existence of life and consciousness, this is even more of a God of the Gaps type argument making much of things which are poorly understood at this time, but which science is discovering more about all the time.

Epistemological hypothesis?

It would do well for scientists to admit what the possible statements are that can explain the universe, and a cause that is aware of its action is one of them.

You are making assertions without evidence.

Am I doing that? Because your comment indicates I am making an assertion, and not my unconscious mind.

1 Like

Yes, but you could write a sci-fi bestseller about how well the plumbing works.

We can watch people building houses. That would be the difference.

Also, the fact we have to build shelters to protect ourselves from the universe seems to argue against the fine tuning principle.

I understand. You had no choice but to say that. :grin:

My hunch is that the notorious “dropped like a hot brick” lab data will show some people have more of a choice than others

Well if we are going to talk philosophy, then it is more of an ontological hypothesis, I think.

Why should scientists be expected to anything other than science?

But of course when scientists like Dawkins take it on themselves to write books on things other than science then that is a different matter. And he did consider this possibility.

I would be totally flabbergasted if Dawkins wrote down what the other possible statements are. And put them along side one another, so that the problem of empirically determining one from the other is apparent.

Because the beginning of the universe is a legitimate area of enquiry. And it would be a wonderful gift to science, for scientists to understand what can and cannot be empirically determined about the world.

He visited the podcast and we provided this breakdown that addresses his claims.
podcast episode: Stephen C. Meyer | Is God a Hypothesis? - Podcast Episode - BioLogos
followup: A Guide to the Stephen Meyer Podcast Episode - Article - BioLogos

1 Like

Terry, you did not respond to my response. If you have something to say, please say it. Do not depend on Bob Dylan or Leonard Krausse…

• Be grateful that I don’t respond to your failure to recognize my firm belief in the crucifixion, death, entombment, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ. You’d be hard pressed to make sense of Einstein’s special theory of relativity, and no one could bail you out of the pit you dug for yourself.
1 Like

Try me! I want to know the Truth Logos even if I am wrong.

Then do it in private.