The Ultimate Proof of Creation

I have no problem with acknowledging being a volitional agent in the world just as we all are. What I don’t understand is the significance you attach to being an ‘uncaused’ cause. If I’m the cause, what difference does it make to specify being uncaused? I’m not a domino at all so why specify I’m not one of those in the middle of a chain of them? It just seems like an artificial question of no consequence. I don’t care for these super detached, speculative sorts of questions. I’ll pass.

1 Like

It means you are not caused to act.

Admit that you like it both ways.

1 Like

This comment earlier explains why I think it’s important.

Uncaused cause, something that can affect change without changing, or an unmoved mover. They are like metaphors for the thing in itself. Each describing it in it’s own way. In the world it (the other) may be aware of its action, but there’s no way to really tell in the way that you can for yourself. This is the need for faith, especially as people so often contradict their selves, and especially in the non-sensical realm where nothing can contradict itself.

There’s a cool video that shows that our experience of voluntary act can be fooled.

In this video human has to close his fist to catch a failing pen, which is very hard to do with our reaction time, the Electrical Muscle Stimuli device is a computer so it can obviously act very, very fast so it can send the electrical stimuli to make your muscles move very quickly and catch the pen. Obviously reaction of your brain was not that fast so your consciousness recognized that it wasn’t you but if we delay device to 80ms the pen can still be catched and we feel like we were the ones acting.

Hopefully I didn’t misrepresented how it works, but the important thing is that consciousness is not as full-proof as one may think, by an extension, brain could be doing everything and conscious mind could only think it makes a choice.
I myself thought that this topic is far more one-sided in favour of conscious decision being an illusion but it seems scientists are very divided on that. So it’s hard to say either way.

That’s a cool video and it does make you wonder.

Self-perception is not a perfect science :grin:

But all it takes is a single instance though, of a person acting or making a choice.

Now… would these scientists who see the illusion of the self, be able to acknowledge that the world can only be stated as coming from nothing, an infinite regress, or an uncaused cause?

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.