The struggle of leaving Young Earth Creationism and a plea to Biologos

? I wasn’t – I was referring to verses in the Bible that indicate that the earth is immobile, not others’ beliefs.

1 Like

Well then, you obviously are unwilling to accept what the Bible plainly says. You have been led astray by secular science and want to spread false teachings here.

2 Likes

Hi Dale,

I mean no disrespect in my questions and don’t want to be viewed as a troublemaker here.

I first came to Biologos because it was referred to me and I read in the about us statement that one of the core values was “Christ-centered Faith — We embrace the historical Christian faith, upholding the authority and inspiration of the Bible.”

My desire has been only to highlight that authority and inspiration of the Bible.

I’ll leave it at that. Thanks, Tom

You have not succeeded and you have contradicted yourself.

With all due respect, I will disagree with you. I’ll let me previous response speak for itself. Take care

My biggest problem with YECism:

I’ll read thru that blog…thanks

? I didn’t cite any blogs.

In your post is had a link to “Did bones actually become fossilized in the sediments of “ancient” epeiric (inland) seas on continents?” which is what I referred to as the blog and also included the quote from Augustine.

Ah. That is just another forum topic, not actually a ‘blog’. And that one gets rather long and might not be worth your time to slog all the way through it. (I would rather you look at the objective evidence one, at least the early part of it since it’s not short either ; - )

Thanks…I’ll read thru that one in the coming days.

2 Likes

Further to your *s Tom, they are perfectly orthodox based on the Reformed, Western, literal, ‘plain reading’, historical-grammatical hermeneutic. Somehow the Eastern mindset, i.e. Orthodox, regards the very same texts, used in their hymnody, as allegorical and goes to enormous lengths to deconstruct and reconstruct their meaning based on that Westernly heterodox assumption. Their reconstruction is not damnationist.

A perfect false dichotomy. Rome sits near the pivot with purgatory. A minority in the Reformed West are so horrified with PSA that they incorporate the Orthodox allegorical approach.

But orthodox Reformed, literal minded, plain reading PSA must have YEC with original sin.

None of which relates to God as He is, to transcendence as it is. To the actual meaning of the incarnation-resurrection.

Why would anyone since the Enlightenment want or need to believe in God the cosmic child abuser, child sacrificer?

There are several fairly orthodox and Reformed here that do not demand YEC with original sin. And we relate to God as he is and as he relates to us. That could not happen without the actual meaning of the incarnation-resurrection. Take the incarnational George Müller for example. Maybe some others need more skeptical theism.

It was a gotcha thing. “Look here’s Christians who say they believe the Bible and think kooky stuff. What do you say to that?” He doesn’t have to say anything to that because people believe all kinds of nonsense and use the Bible to justify it. Who cares? The only thing he needs to “answer” for are his own beliefs.

You’re fine, Tom.

The BioLogos organization has a statement of beliefs and all the staff and moderators here subscribe to them. The things that are published on the website have gone through an editorial process and either reflect the position of the organization or ideas they would like to be conversant with. However, this is a discussion forum open to the public, posts are not moderated before they are posted, and anyone with internet access is welcome to throw their two cents in. Some of the participants are not Christian, and those who are represent a very wide swath of belief from many different Christian traditions besides American Evangelical. And some people lack social skills at times. Although many people here will agree with you that the Bible is inspired and authoritative, they may have very different ways of interpreting various passages and applying the truth of the Bible in practice.

6 Likes

But that is just it. The ancient Hebrews did not know the earth rotates and revolves, nor could they be expected to. They had no word for inertia. Their perception was, like yours and mine, that the ground upon which they stood was fixed in the most fixed understanding of fixed, which was honest and true in the spiritual application of their lived experience.

3 Likes

Yes–as @DOL Dr Lamoureux notes, it was the “science of the day.”
The Bible & Ancient Science: Principles of Interpretation: Lamoureux, Denis O.: 9781951252052: Amazon.com: Books

By the way, welcome, @kocheesh . Your interaction is exemplary and greatly appreciated! God bless. Randy

4 Likes

Hi,
If you guys are interested, I’m actually doing a Zoom lecture on my book The Bible & Ancient Science: Principles of Interpretation at Ambrose University.
It’s next Wed at 9 PM Eastern Time.

Here is the link to register:
https://ambrose.edu/event/3568

Here is the Handout:
https://sites.ualberta.ca/~dlamoure/holamoureuxbas.pdf

Pre-Reading from the book (3 main principles):
https://sites.ualberta.ca/~dlamoure/bas467.pdf

7 Likes

For kicks, there’s this historical “reference”: Orlando Ferguson’s ‘Flat Earth’ Map.

2 Likes

Having a Baptist spiritual upbringing, where dancing was shunned or even forbidden, I have no such skills or graces. I see much smarter, wiser and much much more inclusive minds than mine at work here, and with far greater grace than I possess.
I will be content to watch and learn.
As for a demonstration of epistemological strategies, this seems to have fallen into your lap.
@CuriousBatman can see just what you had mentioned, in the works now.
“Your *s”?

2 Likes

Looks more concave/convex to me lol
Wait! Do I see :sun_with_face: on a stick coming out of the north pole? :thinking:

2 Likes