The struggle of leaving Young Earth Creationism and a plea to Biologos

That took me a while to understand, but is correct. It is not an issue of the science or or good arguments for and against evolution or a young earth, it is a matter of theology and how the bible is understood. Arguing about the age of the earth gives you anxiety, conflict, anger, and such. Learning what the scripture is trying to teach us gives us peace. To me, reading Walton, Wright, McKnight, and perhaps Enns has done more to help me be at peace with my understanding than science texts.

5 Likes

Me too. I think it’s the Alabama accent that he’s picked up there.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t give most that much credit. Appearing consistent to someone not paying close attention, maybe.

1 Like

And Don’t forget to consider and include women authors. If you don’t, you’ll never hear the end of it. Right, @marta?

2 Likes

Ah yes I’m a fan of The Bible Project and will check out the others. Thanks! And thanks for the reply. And to clarify, my frustration here is being on the backside of YEC having basically solo’d my way through it all. I never learned about evolution going through school. It was evil and anti Christian. The Bible college I went to proudly touted YEC. AiG, the museum, everything. That’s where I think some underestimate just how uneducated some Christians are when it comes to biology and evolution. More resources are needed. Which I think you’re agreeing also. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Maybe. I certainly see your point about some of the stuff they say that is just plan wrong. But, a lot of what they say is circular, and if you do not look outside the circle, it seems reasonable, not only their science-y stuff, also with their theology. The problem is that their bubble is small, and most of reality is outside it. Finding a 6000 year old rock does not mean the universe is 6000 years old.

1 Like

Definitely. It can go beyond just getting some things wrong about science and involve a whole mindset that rejects anything scientific that doesn’t mean the pre-conceived conclusion.

So I’m curious, for you, was there a particular turning point or trigger that sort of launched you into exploring EC, or did it just happen gradually?

2 Likes

I’m not sure if there was a particular turning point. Definitely post college. I would describe it as happening gradually. I explored intelligent design and old earth creation as well.

Reconciling the age of the cosmos with 6k years became a major problem for me. Also human evolution and the dealing with the dates in the fossil record. Especially with the genus homo existing a million or more years ago. I love paleoanthropology now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Accepting human evolution can be a difficult bridge to cross – I found the age of the universe a lot easier to swallow than the idea that humans shared ancestry with apes. But I’m glad you’ve come to enjoy it. I am also enjoying having “permission” to read about paleoanthropology without feeling like I’m committing a horrible sin. Well, sometimes I still feel like I am, but it’s getting better. :smiley:

7 Likes

Well, we did spend five years developing a curriculum for Christian high school and homeschoolers that counters the relevant YEC arguments with actual science. But it’s not free. :wink:

They are exploring ways they could potentially offer similar material as self-study online courses, but that is a ways off if it happens. I think one of the realities is that AIG is a huge machine with a ton of resources to throw at new shiny things. They have a staff of 100 compared to BioLogos with 14.

In the meantime, if there are specific claims or articles you want to discuss, throw them up in a forum thread and we’ll try to track down resources that have good information and rebuttals.

6 Likes

Another good way is to get them to trace out the natural history of something they really like. I’ve noticed that people are more likely to accept evidence and work through the tough parts if it’s something they are interested in. So if someone really likes elephants they are more likely to study about their family and tribe, ancestors, basal forms and so on vs if you tried to get them to trace the history of oaks while another may be bored with animals but passionate about plants. Or even the geological history of how the Grand Canyon was formed vs the Appalachian mountains .I still meet tons of people who don’t even know that Everest is stil getting taller or realize the Appalachian mountains are very old and that’s why they are worn down and shrinking.

4 Likes

Yes! I was pretty excited when I saw this was planned and released a while back. We homeschool so it’s something I’m keeping my eye on. My kids are both too young. 2nd grade and preschool

3 Likes

Yep. For years growing up and after I would get a sinking, defensive feeling any time I would hear “millions of years”. Just engrained into me. An almost physical reaction.

4 Likes

Yeah, same here. It’s so weird how that works. Definitely one of the ways that anxiety is more than just mental – the mind-body connection is very interesting.

4 Likes

There is a book like that–"Why I Left Evolution. " It’s a good one
Welcome, by the way :slight_smile: Thanks for your thoughts!

Sorry and thanks, @Dale ! How I Changed My Mind About Evolution: Evangelicals Reflect on Faith and Science: Kathryn Applegate, J.B. Stump: 9780830852901 - Christianbook.com

4 Likes

That doesn’t sound quite right. ; - )

Interestingly, I found this, about our Glenn Morton:

Another one here:

And this:

3 Likes

Oooh my. Thank you! I’m tired1 “How I Changed My Mind About Evolution”!

3 Likes

I had found this video shared and found this person’s entire video series very informative. Turns out he has a book as well, his name is Ben Stanhope. Some of it is a little blunt and many would find offensive, but it really gets down into deep dives of scripture:

3 Likes

I wonder if some deep pockets philanthropic foundation could be found to cover everything leaving you free to press a book into any and every eager hand?

1 Like

All the free vaccines in the world didn’t help the people set on believing lies and opposing them. I don’t think the root problem is lack of access to good information.

10 Likes