The problem is not atheism

I agree, but like I said, they didn’t simply fall from the sky, nor do they even make sense in the modern world. We do not live in a society where women are so dependent on men anymore.

Also, you ignore the fact that Leviticus 20:10 actually puts emphasis on the man, not the woman. Adultery also would have confused inheritance rights (here both sexes are equally guilty) which would cause people to lose their livelihood.

This video should explain things better:

Oh yeah? How did it work out for Jacob and for other Old Testament peoples who had multiple wives. It’s not an ‘adultery’ is you marry all of them? What about David and Bathsheba, where their firstborn child was punished instead and David was forgiven a man after God’s heart, etc…

All this proves is that the Old Testament laws are contradictory. There maybe primitive logic to them, but to claim that Bible is the source of morality for humanity is to humiliate humanity.

The Bible is clear to point out that when a man takes multiple wives his duty to them cannot diminish.

Exodus 21:10: “If he take another wife for himself; her food, her clothing, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish”

Remember what I said about contradictions/conflicting instructions.
Deut. 24: 1 If a man marries a woman who becomes displeasing to him because he finds something indecent about her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house, 2 and if after she leaves his house she becomes the wife of another man, 3 and her second husband dislikes her and writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house, or if he dies, 4 then her first husband, who divorced her, is not allowed to marry her again after she has been defiled. That would be detestable in the eyes of the LORD. Do not bring sin upon the land the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance.

What about that poverty concern? Apparently not an issue in Deuteronomy 24. Also, what about if a woman finds something displeasing about her husband? It can’t be an issue because she is a woman.

I don’t even know why we’re having this argument, like I said, the law didn’t simply fall from the sky.

My problem with many atheists who post on line is their definition of “religion” is so narrow as to be useless. Most have no concept of the philosophical problem of “first cause.”

Paradoxically, I often find that some theists define religion so broadly that it could refer to almost anything, such as playing golf on Saturday mornings.

As to first causes, atheists tend to be more pragmatic. Do we need to know the first cause of everything in order to understand how chemicals interact? No. What practical use is the “first cause” in anything we do on a day to day basis? I would say very little, if any. Also, I think most atheists are just fine not having a belief as to the ultimate purpose of the universe, if there is one. I think many of us atheists have made peace with the idea that the universe may be completely indifferent to our existence.

There is very little “real time” practical use for any discussion of religion except for psychological and sociological situations and studies.

If the universe is completely indifferent to our existence, then it would seem that concern about the environment is a waste of time and resources because our environment is part of the universe and thus by your thinking it’s quality makes no difference to the survival of humanity.

In my opinion psychology and sociology are important. If my psyche is messed up and I am living in a bad social situation, I am in bad shape. What does “science” have to offer?

We care about the universe, so it makes sense that we would preserve the environment in a condition that we like. We could launch an all out nuclear war and reduce the Earth to a smoking cinder and the universe could probably care less since other stars do much worse to their planets. However, we would care.

You are right, it often seems we do not case about the universe. It is good that the universe does care about us despite ourselves.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.