The possibility of human extinction prior to the universal eschaton?

We can redirect it. That’s what the DART Mission is all about. Guess I’ll trust NASA on this one. Or we could “live by faith and not by fear.” That worked with Covid,

1 Like

And how big was Chicxulub? NASA got a cost benefit analysis on this have they?

That was prehistoric.

And a trillion tons moving at 20 km per second. Would the DART cope with that? 66 million years later of course.

Good points all. The great distinctive of humans over animals, the great majority of species who have indeed become extinct, is that humans developed the emergent ability to manipulate their environment to a far greater extent. We are the only species to have colonized roughly every zone of the entire planet. Extinction of humans would require that the environmental challenge would exceed the technological capacity to sustain at least some humans somewhere. I think that would require a cosmic level of disruption.

I think we all agree that there is no possibility for human extinction, before the sun fusions itself out.

1 Like

No we don’t. Our species will not last for 0.01% of the time until then at most. Wherever you are you’re about half way. That’s about where we are. At best. Total Russia vs. NATO nuclear war would kill a billion on the first day. Then all Hell would let loose. Back to the dark ages but with no food apart from each other and a new ice age. That should keep the meat edible for years. Just about every one in the northern hemisphere should be dead in a fortnight, even without India and Pakistan and China kicking off. Cubic miles of tritiated steam.

Believe it or not, the scientists at NASA know their stuff.

I so resent that nuclear anihilation is regularly on my radar again. I really enjoyed the few, short decades of partial forgetfulness.

3 Likes

Yeah. Funding. The same way fusion is hyped in W. Europe.

But “just about every one” means a few survive. And then it starts all over again.

Riiight. From how far back? Along a completely different path. With no trees. No Eden.

Neville Shute, “On the Beach” provides perspective.
“Just about everyone” doesn’t last long after all.
Curtain.
Lights.

1 Like

It could be a perfect storm of several disasters at once that does us in. An asteroid strike, a nuclear war, and crop failures/ religious unrest from climate change.

Have a nice day.

1 Like

It’s nice to know who our sovereign Father is!

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
John 14:27

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.