The long-term viability of Old-Earth Creationism

I think you left out a negation and intended to say “…is not…as great…”

The evidence of all the won lotteries, not to mention their sequences, speaks for itself, that the game is rigged way beyond 5σ. I can only agree with the fact that you make a bad choice to deny it, ‘against good evidence’ and against good great odds.

And the weight of the objective empirical evidence is a bit heavier than your subjective opinion.

Oh? Why should i have account for that any more than the human
love of music?
Id argue that superstition- a near universal in peo0le- has done fsr more to hinder than help our development.

Hands and an enlarging brain surely predate any sort of religion.

Isnt it terribly disrespectful to dismiss the hundreds of thousands of years’ struggle by our ancestors and say it was all just handed to us?

Supernatural handout. I think not.
We earned it the hard way.

If you aren’t curious about how we got to be this way, there probably is no reason … for you. It is entirely optional.

It sounds like the only form of Christianity you can conceive of is something imbecilic. You’re entitled to your opinion and your anger. I’m not a Christian but I was never interested in pointing out the flaws in the very worst examples. Too easy. This particular site includes some of the best examples of clear thinking, open minded Christians that I have met. I honestly think it enhances their lives. Not all of them of course but if your complaint is all the obvious conflicts between science and fundamentalism, this isn’t where you will find them. Did you grow up in that sort of church? Some here did too and they’ve evolved better approaches to theology.

Anyhow, good luck.

1 Like

@`Maek D

Your response, the “imbecile” remark and the odd things you
made up about me are neither dialog nor gracious.

In recently published "The Beginning of Days” (Journal of Biblical and Theological Studies) I show that the Bible does not teach Young Earth Creationism because it doesn’t establish a dateable chain of events back to the original creation: (beginning on slide 71, p. 153): https://jbtsonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/JBTS-6.1Part-2.pdf

Thanks for posting. My quick look shows it to be interesting, though technically way beyond my understanding without study. It seems to make a good case for an indeterminate date for creation.

The main point is that the Bible makes no claim about the age of the earth at all because it says that the universe and earth was created at an undisclosed time prior to day one.

Perhaps one could answer that by arguing that the emergence of humans was a a directed step in which the Creator fashioned mankind from the raw material of it’s ancestors.

But then it’s difficult to account for all the precursors that came and went before modern humans and where do Neanderthals fit in such a scheme?

Ah, the earth became tohu and bohu, waste and decayed. Before the 7 days of recreation. Yeah been there, for 40 attenuating years, until the thread snapped 12 years ago.

The age is not stated directly but it seems to me mental
gymnastics to present that it doesnt present the earth as very young.

As i recall, !ucretuus presented ways to demonstrate that the earths’
age must only be in the thousands of years ood.

The Bible makes no claim about the age of the earth whatsoever.

3 Likes

In this article I show that the Bible does not teach Young Earth Creationism because it doesn’t establish a dateable chain of events back to the original creation: "The Beginning of Days”, JBTS (beginning on slide 71, p. 153): https://jbtsonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/JBTS-6.1Part-2.pdf

3 Likes

Bernie Sanders is an agnostic.

And many of the rest are lying.

1 Like

Maybe. But we don’t know that for certain, so I don’t know if it’s fair to say that.

I would agree from my own perception that many politicians who wear the label of Christian are not so…

We know it for certain as a disproportionate number are well educated, excessively lawyers (correlated with psychopathy), and atheism is correlated with that. A large minority are lying. Clergy too of course. It’s a statistical, scientific certainty.

Unfortunately, discussions of hypocritical people would overwhelm the forum, so let us move on.

5 Likes

In what I wrote “imbecilic” characterizes the quality of Christianity as you describe it, not you. I could of course be wrong but before I concede I was wrong, please cite even one thing you’ve written that was not dismissive of Christianity.

You also seem peeved that I took a guess about where your apparent contempt for the religion came from. You could simply tell me I’m wrong if I am. Regardless I promise not to guess again about what you may be thinking based on what little you write.

In the post you edited you had asked me to give you the last word and I did. If you’d still like to have the last word, go right ahead.

It’s known as gap theory or gap creationism. It’s been known continuously for at least 1900 years by Christians. Let alone Jews. How YEC double down on denying it I really don’t care.