The Invention of Charity

If we even lived up to 1/10 of what you probably think we’re doing, then it might be impressive indeed.

Tremper Longman and Dan Allender have some of the most striking language I’ve come across for the shame that Christ endured on our behalf. Through a little textual gymnastics, they describe the mockery of the Father for the Son.

Aaah.

That’s a relief. Thank you for clarifying.

Reflection is a good place to start and particularly revolving, as you mentioned, around the question “what is sufficient?” At least things that were conveniently strewn with sand in the past (to hide the rot, you know?) have been exposed again, and there seems to be some commitment to keep the meager conversation going. But reflection must eventually shift to action, don’t you think? And action is much, much harder. So many decisions to make or defer. Endlessly. So many conflicting interests. Will the losers lose again as usual?

• What?! And get off my computer and do something?
3 Likes

Ehhh… try mobile device old man

1 Like

The print there is too small, kid, and my whizz-kid nephew recently introduced me to the things that little wallet on my phone will enable me to do. That still be-fuddles me.

3 Likes

I have a lot of respect for the MCC and MDS, and I went to Haiti* once with Water for Life (two decades ago already!), a Kalona, IA, Mennonite organization. But since the assassination, the growing anarchy and competing gangs’ violence, the American contingent had to leave last year, breaking hearts.

*It seemed that the evil there was almost palpable.

3 Likes

Thanks Terry…I will read the links you cited. I would imagine that, in his head, Ehrmann probably includes Judaism with Christianity in things like this. The OT, after all, is Jewish — but well regarded as from God by Christians, or by most

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.