The good White Christian women of Nazi Germany

So how did he defeat them? And the ultimate weapon is empathy.

Empathy means to be able to share the humanity of others. On does not empathize by by sharing the inhumanity of others.

I am glad that some folk are seeing the power of Black Christianity.

Inhumanity is humanity. It’s a two-edged sword. Our strength is our weakness.

Life is not simple. It is filled with ambiguity. That much is true. All the rest is B.S.

1 Like

Bonhoeffer certainly appreciated it. He was disappointed with his year at Union, finding their Christianity very shallow. His time in Harlem made all the difference in the world and helped shaped his theology. You would love that book I mentioned, “Bonhoeffer’s Black Jesus”

1 Like

@Relates Did you see The Black Church on PBS?

1 Like

Thanks, and I did watch The Black Church.

1 Like

There is nothing similar between the way Germany and Japan treated people they conquered and how they were treated when they were defeated. It is true the gap between the way the Nazis behaved and the communists behaved certainly wasn’t as big. People in eastern Europe welcomed the Nazis with open arms as liberators until the death camps started running. The west had learned its lessons from WWI not to leave the defeated countries like festering wounds – so they helped them back to economic prosperity.

2 Likes

Indeed not. But we killed a million German civilians by area bombing. We nuked Japanese cities. In battle we outfought Germany and Japan. Often with no quarter given. And since we have been in dubious battle everywhere, as we were before. The morality of the Allies was superior to the Axis, but created the Axis in the first place. Morality that included unconditional surrender by the Axis which massively increased casualties and may well even have catalysed the Holocaust. Just war is an aberration, is still civilized men being barbaric. It’s not what Jesus would have done. If Britain had been invaded we would have used every weapon in our arsenal on the invaders. Like anthrax. If America hadn’t joined, given time we’d have developed the bomb and used it on Germany. We are the best of a bad lot.

War is indeed terrible. But there are worse things that this even. A social system dominated by evil with systematic abuse, torment and murder of good and innocent people is worse. Keeping the peace will never be good reason for putting up with such a thing. It is better to fight for what is good and right no matter how many lives are lost. At least in that case there is hope.

1 Like

I disagree with my head, including my faith morality, but totally endorse fighting the Nazis to the last man with my heart.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.