The Flood during Noah’s Day

Never mind.

I guess turnabout is fair play doesn’t work for you. I’m threescore and ten and then some.

1 Like

@Kelli

So is your point that Genesis is just fiction like Vinnie, or are you trying to get us to believe in magic rather than science? Like I said in the other thread, these anti-scientific interpretations are either trying to dismiss the Bible or trying to dismiss science. But since the findings of science are demonstrable, the latter is unreasonable and doomed – and thus the effect can only be the same – to ridicule Christianity.

God is not a liar. People are. So the data God sends us from the earth and sky is the truth. It is the religious people who are telling lies – whether they use the Bible to do it or not. Rainbows are cause by the refraction of light and there was never any global flood. Trying to make the Bible contradict these facts can only mean you want it considered fictional.

Your question is posted to the wrong person, Dale. It was actually Randy who mentioned other planets having rainbows.
You are diverting and distracting from the original post not Kelli

Mitchell,
My point? Who said anything about my point? Trying to get you to believe in magic? I only used scripture explaining what God said and did during the time of Noah.
If you differ from scripture from what and who God is, are you not the one questioning God?
Did God say He was going to wipe out the earth with the global flood? Yes. I used scripture.
Am I trying to get people to believe in magic? No.
I used the Bible for the reference and the explanation. Who is dismissing the Bible?

1 Corinthians 2:14
The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

1 Like

Why would God need to look at a rainbow to remember anything?

1 Like

Sorry, but I do not accept your imagined authority to speak for God in your interpretation of the Bible. So no, if I differ in my understanding of scripture and what YOU think who God is, I am disputing with YOU and not with God.

No He did not.

The text you use to put these words into the “mouth” of God is as follows:
יג וַיֹּאמֶר אֱלֹהִים לְנֹחַ, קֵץ כָּל-בָּשָׂר בָּא לְפָנַי–כִּי-מָלְאָה הָאָרֶץ חָמָס,
מִפְּנֵיהֶם; וְהִנְנִי מַשְׁחִיתָם, אֶת-הָאָרֶץ.

The word you have translated as “earth” is a word in an ancient Hebrew language sounded out as ha-ah-res is described in the text as a table shaped thing and is clearly therefore not referring to anything like a globe or a planet, but only a small part of it.

People who say the meaning of the text is something contrary to what God is telling us in everything He sends us from the earth and sky, are making this text more like the “Lord of the Rings” by Tolkien and are thus dismissing the text as fiction.

This passage is not speaking of your interpretation of the text, which does not come from the Spirit of God. It is the magical meaning you give the passage in Genesis which makes it foolish and you who cannot understand them and is not discerning them through the Spirit but only using the literal word to create a meaning contrary to reality. It is the same as when Jesus answered His disciples when they queried Him about His use of parables in Matthew 13. Jesus explains that people can use the literal meaning to ignore His intended meaning because they do not want to hear or understand.

2 Likes

Interesting but how do you explain what God has said in scripture regarding the global flood?

Actually the Lord gave understanding and meaning to His disciples and not to the multitude. He who has ears let him hear what the spirit is saying to the churches.

Matthew 13:11

He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them.

Matthew 13:12
Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.

Matthew 13:13
This is why I speak to them in parables:
“Though seeing, they do not see;
though hearing, they do not hear or understand.

Matthew 13:14
In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:
“‘You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.

Matthew 13:15
For this people’s heart has become calloused;
they hardly hear with their ears,
and they have closed their eyes.
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
hear with their ears,
understand with their hearts
and turn, and I would heal them.’

Matthew 13:16
But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear.

1 Like

Actually the Lord gave understanding and meaning to His disciples Kelli and those who agree with her and not to the multitude Mitchell and just about everyone else. He who has ears let him hear what the spirit Kelli is saying to the churches BioLogos.

There. I fixed it for you.

God said nothing about a global flood. You have added to the text with this word “global.”

Indeed. And how shall we know who are His disciples and who are false prophets lying about the Spirit communicating any truth to them? What the false prophet says does not come to pass and does not agree with what we see in God’s creation.

It is funny how what “the spirit is saying to the churches,” as you call it, blows with the wind with every false doctrine and evil desire of people whether to support slavery, genocide of the American natives, extort money from too innocent members, entice women to be the toys of so called evangelists, or to serve political power plays. But the truth comes out and these church people are revealed as liars and false prophets. Those abusing people in this way really really hate science because it frequently reveals the falsity of their teachings.

Yes, not given to the false prophets whose teachings disagree with everything God sends us from the earth and sky.

And so they repeat the words but the meaning they teach from the words do not agree with what we find in the earth and sky.

They will not listen or see what God sends them from the earth and sky but close eyes, ears, and mind to what God shows them in order to cling to dead nonsensical meanings in scriptures which tickle their fancy.

To see you have to open your eyes to see what God is telling us in earth, sky, and the behavior of people all around us. To hear you have listen.

3 Likes

Thank you, Kelli, for posting the Genesis and Matthew verses.

Scripture is clear it is the Lord God who opens the eyes and ears of understanding based on the heart condition.
The Genesis verses say “the earth”. Nowhere do those words imply a local flood only

The word used can be translated as “region” or “land” – it doesn’t mean “globe.” It’s the same word used in the story of the famine in Egypt during the life of Joseph. Do you think people from the entire globe came to Egypt to buy grain?

3 Likes

@Shannon & @Kelli – Please understand, or begin to, anyway:

Truth comes from reality – that truth comes from both the reality of the data that God has revealed in the Bible and the truth that comes from the reality of data that God has revealed in creation. They do not and cannot conflict. If they appear to, then our interpretation of one or the other or both is flawed.

2 Likes

Laura,
Are you taking the verses posted in Genesis regarding the whole earth and equating them to the famine during the time of Joseph? One has nothing to do with the other.
Happy New Year :blush:

As we can see the famine was the region of Egypt in Canaan not world wide as was the global flood during Noah’s day.

But in Genesis 41, it states, using the same word and by the same hand, 56 And the famine was over all the face of the earth: and Joseph opened all the storehouses, and sold unto the Egyptians; and the famine waxed sore in the land of Egypt.

57 And all countries came into Egypt to Joseph for to buy corn; because that the famine was so sore in all lands.

4 Likes

It can rain ammonia. or fire, or sulphuric acid, or cats and dogs, (or stair rods, or fish); just prefix rainbow before any of them.

2 Likes

I’m not saying the events have anything to do with each other – but the same Hebrew words used for “the earth” in the flood story are also used in the famine story. If you’re saying that they must mean that the entire globe was flooded, then why don’t they also mean that people came from the entire globe to get grain in Egypt?

Naturalis Historia has a neat article about this where he takes a passage from an Answers in Genesis book about the flood and simply replaces the flood references with famine references:

Hi again Laura
Just looking at Joseph and the famine was localized in the region.
Joseph’s wisdom bore fruit, for the seven good years of severe famine, and the Egyptians and people in other countries as well went to buy grain from the storehouses throughout Egypt. At last Joseph was in power in Egypt. God’s revelation to him by dreams was being fulfilled.

The following narrative show that God used the famine to bring Israel into Egypt under the ruler ship of Joseph. The nation would remain there some 400 years, as God prophesied to Abram (15:13) Israel could take comfort that in spite of her bondage God would someday enable her to triumph over Egypt.
Bible Knowledge Commentary

Jamieson-Fausett -Brown Bible Commentary
57. The famine was sore in all lands–that is, the lands contiguous to Egypt–Canaan, Syria, and Arabia.

Go to go now
Happy New Year Laura