The Father Forsaking His Own Son

Indeed, they’re not the same. They’re superpositioned. I’m sure He knew which was which: no confusion there.

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin.

PROFOUND MYSTERIES that we can enjoy. We don’t need to have all the answers. We can sit back, relax and marvel at Who this GODMAN was and is, knowing we are more valuable to him than his own life. Imagine that! I think that is the takeaway from these incredible verses. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin.

I think you all have missed something. Jesus was dying for he the sin and sins of the entire world, including you and I, Hitler, Stalin, 45, Clintons, whomever.
This was no walk in the park. It was a super special event that no one enjoyed, not the Son and not the Father. Both suffered immeasurably because they were separated from each other by OUR sin, yours and mine, which Jesus took voluntarily on Himself.

While He must have been sorely tempted to give up on us, He did not. His matchless love defeated evil and saved our butts, and all others who trust in the forgiveness and grace of God, rather than “good works.”

1 Like

We haven’t missed it, well at least not all of us. I have rejected that interpretation. I don’t think sin is something you can literally take on. I can sin and I can jump. I sinned this morning. I jumped this morning. God can’t take on my “sin” anymore than he can take on my “jump”. What am I missing? The sentence itself seems unintelligible to me. Is sin an actual thing or being that can be taken on? Is it an action?

You also have the curious notion of God being separated from Himself and not being able to look upon Himself. Was the Trinity broken for a while? The Triune God was no longer One?

Vinnie

You got it bro. What He endured that day is way beyond anything I can imagine. It pains me to see others mock him. Dear God, how did you do it?

In Leviticus chapters 1–7 we find detailed instructions for offering sacrifices—five regular offerings that will invade all of the Israelites’ senses, informing their minds and engaging their hearts in regard to the seriousness of sin as well as the possibility and provision of a substitute. Nancy Guthrie

We may not grasp fully the role of sacrifices made to God like the ancient Hebrews did, but we can learn. We may never understand fully why God instituted a system requiring the shed blood of his son, but He followed through and became sin who knew no sin.

If my child was seriously injured and became a crumpled, bloodied, grotesque version of his former self, I’d be so sick in pain I couldn’t look at him. But, he’s my child.

Maybe because He has an Evil nature as well? Vindictive might be better. Remember what happened woth Isaac? “Yeah bro just sacrifice your child to show me your loyal to me” and then The Father is like “Its just a prank bro dont do that”.

Same thing with Christ. Sent him like a pig for slaughter

Thats cruel ,evil and just wrong period.

I appreciate that. I would be sick forever if that happened.

Just as many were appalled at Him—His appearance was disfigured beyond that of any man, and His form was marred beyond human likeness—

Jesus is the Paschal Lamb.

And we are the pigs that deserve to be slaughtered. But it pleased the Father to crush him and for Jesus to become sin. Sin was executed that day, the Son of Man was executed that day and through our union with Jesus on His cross we are executed and die to sin and are resurrected New Creations, Born Again by the Father’s will. That is mercy, love and grace all wrapped up in the offering of the life blood of Jesus in place of our own.

1 Like

He is God. He can provide any way he wants. He could forgive all the people who asked before Jesus and if he wanted there wouldnt be any need to sacrifice animals even. Whats your argument?

The same as Paul’s. " I glory in the cross of Christ. For through it I have died to the world and the world to me." It wasn’t just forgiveness that we gained by the death and resurrection of Jesus, it is being born again, becoming a new creation in Christ. Born again by God’s Spirit. Delivered from the power of sin and the devil, not just forgiven and then left in the same condition of being slaves to sin. Those who place their trust in the Cross of Christ have been circumcised from the flesh, their spirit is no longer a slave to it.
The offering of bulls and goats could not created a new creation but by our union with Jesus in His death and resurrection, we are literally born from above.
God doesn’t need mans approval for how He chooses to birth His children. But all who receive Jesus, God gives them the authority to become sons and daughters of God. Born again by the Spirit and by the will of the Father.

1 Like

Good News Indeed!!!

1 Like

The claim here is that if you born again you stop sinning?

The claim is that if you are born again you will stop sinning. Before Christ you are a slave of sin, you sin because you are bound to it. Even though you may know right from wrong you still do wrong because you are a slave of sin and the devil.
In Christ a person dies to sin and it’s lordship over him. For freedom sake Christ set us free. Now you can still choose to sin and that is why all the strong warnings about sinning, for if you have been delivered from sins power but now choose to return like a dog to its vomit, you trample under your feet the blood of Christ. And if you reject Christ again there is no other sacrifice for sin. Like Esau who sold his birthright for a bowl of soup and couldn’t get it back no matter how hard he pleaded, a person who willfully rejects the freedom and power of being united with Christ, can lose his birthright of eternal life.
Don’t grumble and complain about what God did through the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross. Grab a hold of the liberty it brings and walk in the Spirit and you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh. Those who walk in the Spirit are the sons and daughters of God.
Rejoice in the unmerited favor that the Father has shown toward us by making Jesus who knew no sin to become sin, so that we could become the righteousness of God through Him. Grace is power to live the life of the Spirit. Grace is deliverance from the power of sin.

Get back on the wagon.

2 Cor 5:21
God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

1 Like