The Fall of Historical Adam, (Federal Head of man), impacts all of humanity to need Christ's Salvation

Hi Joe,
thank you for your reply.
After reading and re reading Genesis in many translations and looking at the meaning of key Hebrew words used in the text, the ‘traditional’ understanding of the Creation account is what I get every time.
I just don’t get how the plain text can be stretched to mean evolution is how God created when it seems to me He went to considerable lengths to make it clear that He Created in six ordinary days by speaking each part of Creation into existence, brilliantly written in a manner that ALL peoples of all periods of history will understand.

It is clear that Jesus is the Creator, and we see Him performing miracles in the same manner. Jesus speaks and it happens. This shows us that the Creator is omnipotent, I’m sure He could have Created the universe and the time dimension instantaneously but He chose to drag it out over six days for our instruction.

I truly believe that it is the belief of the unsaved masses in all societies worldwide that evolution is an established scientific fact that has prevented them from reaching out to find answers to the big questions we all have as we develop and grow, you know, things like; Where did I come from; How did life begin; What is the purpose of our existence etc…

People just don’t believe that God exists anymore, many think Christians are just deluded God botherers!
And it is more than anything else, EVOLUTION that they believe God is no longer necessary, a relic of a bygone age, going by what I have observed in western cultures over my lifetime.

It is not that Genesis needed to have a Flood narrative to touch base with anything, it is simply a historical account or what actually happened. The Creation events over the six days are historical narrative, that God has provided for us to know. There is no need to try and weave into the straightforward historical account the make believe theory of evolution to account for how life’s diversity came about, that is forced onto the text where it plainly causes massive theological problems about why the gracious self sacrifice of our dear Lord Jesus needed to come to Earth incarnate to substitute His blameless self for our evil sinful selves.

The Big Bang is another nonsense as far as I am concerned. Sure it appears the universe is expanding, but so what, that doesn’t automatically mean everything expanded from a dimensionless minute point. Dark energy and dark matter are likely dark because they are mathematical constructs that don’t exist, designed more to rescue the theory than account for anything in reality.

If we all just accept the text in the scriptures, we will all be a lot better for it. And unsaved people will see a unified body of Christ across the planet that would be a far better testimony than what we have at present, with compromising Churches, the Woke brigade, the forcing of evolution onto the text of the Bible etc…

When I was young just about everyone in the society here in Australia went to Church. Since evolution has been hammered into the societies psyche, now in 2024 most churches have a handful of grey haired congregants, a few Pentecostal Churches have larger numbers of younger people but even there the decline from the blanket bombardment of evolutionary belief in the mass media and educational institutions has resulted in the massive decline in salvation of people since the 1950’s. I wish it weren’t so but that is what I have observed with my own eyes.
I know it is true, despite whatever objections come as a result of writing this fact down in the above paragraphs.

God Bless,
jon

Jon whilst you I appear to have similar views (beliefs on this topic), i would like to add a caveat to my own belief as a result of engaging in this forum.

Theistic evolutionists may still be Christians…and very decent ones at that. Christ made it quite clear in His ministry that we are to be good Samaritans just as much as followers of the law of Love (10 commandments).

Obviously, we must be careful to not think its by doing works that we are saved, rather, these are the fruits of our faith. I see many individuals on these forums who truly are wonderful Christians and I thank Christ for showing us that what really matters are at least the following things:

1. we do unto others as we would have them do to us (help the sick, feed the poor, show kindness to those who despise us)
  2. love the Lord thy God with all thy heart soul and mind and thy neighbour as thyself. In the case of the Samaritan, His neighbour was unthinkable…even a Jew! (i have capitalised His because in the metaphor, Gods neighbour is a sinner and He died for sinners)
6 Likes

Thank you Adam,
and yes, of course you are absolutely correct and I second ALL that you have stated.
Praise Him who loves us all though we do not deserve it!

God Bless,
jon

@adamjedgar Adam, great post; thank you!

Especially when it comes to the Eden account, I think the ‘traditional’ reading definitely needs to be learned. Just coming to it fresh, I think practically anybody from biblical times to our own would take a story with a person split in two, a talking beast, and fruit that gives immortality as something other than straight history.

Further, some of the most important points of the text – such as the complementarity of male and female or the coming defeat of evil by a real human – only emerge from the text if we allow it to speak symbolically. Otherwise, it’s just one man who makes a nice poem about his wife and a future human who’s going to step on a snake.

I don’t think you’ll find many people here who think it should be. The text doesn’t teach evolution! That comes from studying creation. It’s like when I read Psalm 139 about how I, like the psalmist, was knit together by God’s hands in the womb and woven together in the depths of the earth. It doesn’t teach all the science we’ve learned about how a baby develops. But it doesn’t need to be read as contradicting that science. Its purpose is different from a scientific account.

So no, don’t stretch Genesis to mean evolution. But consider that it’s quite possible to accept what the text teaches about God as creator and provider while also seeing evolution and other natural processes as some of God’s knitting needles.

And then we get another story where God speaks to give voice to a problem (“It’s not good for the mortal to be alone”) but then gets down to business solving it. So which picture is accurate? Did God create by speaking, or by forming wet dust? Both!

Each image communicates something different. The first account shows God’s transcendent sovereignty in creating everything by fiat decree in a beautifully ordered timetable. The second shows God’s provident immanence as God meets the needs of the land and the human by sculpting mud and blowing breath and cleaving one flesh into two beings.

Or perhaps God could have revealed the timing of creation, but instead chose to use the structure of seven days for our instruction and imitation. The days of work, like the day of rest, are for us rather than revealing actual facts about how long God works before resting. As Jesus declares, “My Father is always at his work, and I too am working.” But at the same time, according to Hebrews 4, God remains in his seventh day rest – and calls us to join in! One can’t limit the seventh day to the distant past.

Sure, but the problem is that even those of us who accept it don’t read it the same way. Yes, things would be simpler if all Christians agreed with you, or all with me. But since that’s not going to happen, how can we present a good witness to the world even when we disagree?

4 Likes

@adamjedgar Have I ever said this to you? When you’re not waging war on evolution and deep geological time, but when your focus is on Christ and the Gospel, some of the other things you post are pure gold.

I think that if there’s one mistake that those of us on the evolutionary creation/theistic evolution end of the spectrum are particularly at risk of making (and certainly I speak for myself here), it is taking offence at bad arguments or bad attitudes to science in the Church. For some of us, such bad attitudes have resulted in adverse consequences of varying degrees of seriousness (which is why we can come across as particularly snarky or even confrontational at times), but in recent weeks and months I’ve come to the conclusion that I just need to forgive those Christians who have thrown me off track in the past in that respect.

4 Likes

I have heard this type of argument before – attempting to link the teaching of evolution in schools to a decline in church attendance. I think it would be hard to rigorously establish such a direct correlation, with so many complex societal factors involved. But if you have a reference to such a study, I would be interested. Even if there was such a correlation, it might have something to do with some teachers falsely attaching it to atheism.

On the other hand, evolution is taught in Chinese schools (Creation and evolution in public education - Wikipedia) yet I am told by a friend who worked in China for 30+ years that the Christian church is growing explosively there. Perhaps this is something to consider.

4 Likes

Only you think that this makes any sense at all as a reasonable response.

The text does not say that in the original, it only appears to say that when it gets read like it’s a modern encyclopedia entry.
The fact that you’re insisting on reading it that way despite having had the truth explained to you is sad.

No, they’re not – historical narrative did not exist when that was written.

No, it doesn’t, and the vast majority of the world’s Christians understand that.

We all do – we just don’t accept the idea that ancient literature should be read like it was someone’s great-grandfather’s diary of events he had witnessed.

The plain text is not science or fact. It depicts God’s awesome power and His intent that humans have a place to flourish: this is why He made the universe in the first place.
How can I support such a statement?

• Genesis begins, Day One, by declaring that God is the source of the big bang.
  • At the same time Genesis throws away the fine print of the big bang in order to slide past the pagan cosmology.
  • Why?
  • Because denying that ground-level understanding, that perception-is-reality, would have meant an immense treatise on how stars formed, stars fused elements, how planets formed - - and so much more.
    Day Two places a forever supply of rain above the firmament.
    Day Four places the sun, moon, and stars beneath that water - they cross within the vault of the heavens (the firmament)
    Yet Creation itself tells us that the big bang is a real thing and that Earth, a ball of iron and rock with a thin crispy crust of continents surrounded by films of water (the seas) orbits the nearest star.
    Creation itself tells us that the Six Days were window dressing for the real content of Genesis, which is theology.
    Profound theology, yet presented in such a simplified form that ordinary illiterate minds could respond to it in awe and devotion. Just the same way that six-year-olds respond, in Sunday School.
    I hope this clarifies things.
    Peace and Christian love
    Joel
2 Likes

Hi Andy,

thanks for your post.

I have searched on several sites without a great deal of success, but there are various sources of information that support the view that the decline in church attendance is largely through not accepting the creation account in Genesis as factual historical narrative.

You could check out:

AND

AND

The Unites States of America is the possibly the only country that I’m aware of that isn’t suffering the same rapid decline that the rest of the west is seeing. Bible believing Christians who live in the US are in a much safer place than countries of Europe or Australia, Canada and the rest of the western world. The strong Christian backbone of the US is what makes the difference. Churches in the rest of the worlds countries should take a long hard look at the difference in US Church attendance and Church relevance and learn a valuable lesson that a Christian countries Churches will remain intact for much longer than a secular country. The other places where the trend of church decline is opposite to the most other countries appear to be sub-Saharan Africa and China.

On another note, the narrative by Jim Mason about his journey is relevant here too:

Why I’m finally a young-earth creationist

by Jim Mason

[copyright text removed by moderator, please see link below for article]

The above article can be found at: https://creation.com/finally-a-creationist

And on an associated but slightly different note see:

God Bless,
jon

Hi Joel,

thank you for your reply post, it is appreciated!

The text in Genesis 1 is abundantly clear enough to me to mean precisely what it plainly says.
The creation sequence from Day 1 to Day 6 is also extremely clear to me and millions of others too.
Why is there a need to impose the latest secular beliefs onto the straightforward Creation account.

What is it that has you not see what I see is so plainly stated?

The Big Bang is a myth that simply doesn’t stack up against the Biblical history we are given by our righteous, just and above all truthful Lord God. He stretched out the heavens like a scroll on the fourth day.

Why do you not accept as written, what God has so clearly inspired the author of Genesis to write?

God Bless,
jon

well to me it makes sense if one focuses on exactly why God needed to save us from our sins in the first place.

If ithe wages of sin is death is an allegory, then even common sense begs the question…Christs physical death becomes unecessary and pointless does it not?

And as i said, you were the one who put yourself in this spot…it was you who wrote on the forums that a living soul is both physical and spiritual. So you opened the floodgates to your own demise on this one :wink:

BTW i stumbled across the following which impressed me…

“Pilgrim’s Progress is an allegory of the spiritual journey” (Oxford languages)

I’ve seen that article before. I note that he is a staff member of Creation Ministries International and in that respect just about everything he says in defence of a young earth or in opposition to evolution is repeating the party line parrot fashion. Basically, he is saying what his contract of employment requires him to say. Many of the points that he makes, such as dinosaur soft tissue and radiocarbon in coals and diamonds, have been raised in this discussion and dealt with already.

He makes a lot of noise about the limitations of science. Yes, science has its limitations, and yes, scientific fraud is a thing, but these are not a free pass to let you reject any and every scientific finding that you don’t like. In order to show that the earth is young, you need to do far more than just show that scientific fraud is a thing. You need to show that scientific fraud in paleontology and geochronology is pervasive, ubiquitous and tightly coordinated right across the entire disciplines and has been so for more than two hundred years. A handful of examples of casual fraud by individual researchers acting independently of each other falls far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far short of making such a case.

The problem that I have with young earthists with science degrees is that they should reasonably be expected to know these things. They should be expected to know what differentiates good arguments from bad arguments. They should be expected to know how science works in reality, how measurement works, and the mathematical basis behind it all. They should be expected to know that soft tissue is not the same as soft tissue remnants, that DNA breakdown products are not the same as sequenceable DNA, and that contamination is an unavoidable factor in any form of measurement, radiocarbon studies included, that must be correctly taken into account and correctly quantified without either exaggerating or downplaying its extent or significance before claiming that anything out of the ordinary is going on. They should be expected to know that science has rules—rules that do not depend on anyone’s worldviews but that are the same for Christians and atheists alike. Their advanced education in the sciences puts them in a position of trust within the Church, and for them to make claims that are inconsistent with the rules of science, and inconsistent with things that even a high school student should reasonably be expected to know about science, is a very serious breach of that trust. I’m sorry if you don’t like me, or anyone else, describing such behaviour as lying, but all I can say to that is that if it isn’t lying then I don’t know what is, and if they don’t want to be accused of lying then they should not do such things.

7 Likes

I absolutely disagree. The text absolutely DOES SAY that in the original.

Perhaps you would be gracious enough to give us all a word by word explanation of Genesis 1 verses 1 to 31 to show us precisely why you disagree that the text does not mean what it plainly states in the various translations; be they KJV, AKJV, NASB, ESV, NIV, OJB, ASV etc…

Thanks,
God Bless,
jon

They do both–most mutations are essentially trivial (“you make 2% more of Protein xyz than your father does”, etc.), most of the rarer mutations that make drastic changes are detrimental, but some are beneficial. And mutations create new DNA sequences by definition. Whether they are useful is and entirely separate issue.

The fact that bacteria exist disproves the notion that mutations would prevent humans from having existed for a few hundred thousand years.

That’s still contamination.

There are preserved ligaments from clams older than any dinosaur, so no, not all “soft” tissue disintegrates rapidly. It usually does, but not always.

It says “the universe appeared, and here is our best educated guess about how” How is that counter to the Bible?

3 Likes

You do realize that the fine tuning of the universal constants you endorsed in your prior post are a feature of Big Bang cosmology? The significance of carbon nuclei having finely tuned resonance is that is what allows for stellar nucleosynthesis, which would not matter if everything was created de novo.

4 Likes

But isn’t it true to say that for every extremely rare (in the visible to natural selection sense) beneficial mutation, there are a million or more neutral or near neutral or outright deleterious mutations that all combined add up to a slowly deteriorating genome, such that every generation of humans for example have accumulated more mutations than their parents. This inexorable continual accumulation in each successive generation of either downright deleterious mutations or noise continues unabated in exactly the OPPOSITE direction that is required if evolution were a reality which it clearly isn’t. The microscopically small number of beneficial mutations do not have a snowflakes chance in hell of offsetting the enormous combined weight of neutral and near neutral noise and deleterious mutations that is traveling along the road to eventual extinction.
The ascension of diversity of the species at levels of taxa above species as espoused by evolutionists is wishful thinking, the evidence clearly does not show anything of the sort. An evcyclopaedia that is reprinted time and time again with say a hundred typos in each edition will eventually become unusable through the loss of meaningful specified information; the genome has precisely the same problem, through deletions, substitutions etc. that are passed on each generation and aren’t repaired by the sophisticated correction machinery.

But doesn’t evolution posit that humans are the end result of an ever increasing complexity of life that started with the first single cell billions of years ago?

That’s what you may like to believe but the truth of the matter is that I do not see why proper procedures were not rigorously adhered to in the professional labs that have found C14 inside diamonds that by their very crystal lattice structure are virtually impossible to contaminate with atmospheric or soluble C14. The cry of contamination is really just clutching at straws simply because the alternative does not align with your worldview of ‘deep time’.

Do you really hear what you are saying here?
Surely, don’t you understand that the basic laws of chemistry and physics preclude any possibility of preservation for such an enormous period of time? The chemical bonds between the atoms in the complex organic compounds would have completely disintegrated millions upon millions upon millions of years ago, in fact not very long in ‘supposed geologic time terms’ after the animal died!
Thus the only sane explanation is to believe the Bible, the dinosaur bones are thousands of years old, NOT 65 to 300 million. It should be obvious, but again the rigorous empirical science reality is ignored and a just so story is made up to accommodate yet another inconvenient scientific FACT, to retain belief in, you guessed it evolution, which must be retained at all costs. WHY?
Evolution is at odds with science and it is at odds with the Bible, so WHY retain it?
Throw it away, it is a false belief framework that doesn’t fit what we empirically see in the real world.

Wasn’t it the British mathematician/astronomer Sir Fred Hoyle who originated the famous illustration comparing the random emergence of even the simplest cell to the likelihood that ‘a tornado sweeping through a junk-yard might assemble a Boeing 747 from the materials therein’.

You got that right, ‘guess’ is the operational word here.

Why not just take our Lord and Saviour’s word for it?
The heavens were rolled out by Him as if they were a scroll.
Do we really need to attach such importance to best guesses of fallen man; what we do know about the universe is that it is big, very big, that is sufficient for me to understand the majesty and glory of our Lord God who made it all.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

An informative article about this is at: Big bang critic dies (Fred Hoyle)
An excerpt is below:

Born in Yorkshire, England, in 1915, Hoyle was one of Britain’s best-known mathematicians and astronomers in the last half of the 20th century. He spent decades searching for answers to questions of the origins of life and the origin and age of the universe. In the 1940s, he, along with Hermann Bondi and Thomas Gold, proposed the ‘steady state’ theory, a belief that the universe had no beginning or end, but always existed and would continue to exist.

All these men were strong humanists, so they rejected any theory that seemed to teach a beginning for the universe, because that would point to a Beginner—see the discussion in If God created the universe, then who created God? Their bias was so strong that they were even prepared to violate the fundamental Law of Conservation of Mass/Energy, which states that mass/energy in the universe can neither be created nor destroyed. Of course, this fundamental law is consistent with Genesis—God’s creation of the space-time universe was finished after six days. But the Steady State Theory posits a continual spontaneous appearance of hydrogen atoms from nothing.

But because the evidence of the rapid expansion of the universe exceeded the predictions of Hoyle’s theory, and because of the reluctance to believe that fundamental laws were violated, many astronomers began to postulate that an explosion of highly dense matter was the beginning of all space and time. In his 1950 BBC radio series, The Nature of the Universe, Hoyle mockingly called this idea the ‘big bang,’ considering it preposterous.2 Yet the theory—and the derisive term—have become mainstream, not only in astronomy but in society as well.

Hoyle readily saw through the fallacious assumptions behind the ‘big bang’ theory. In 1994 he wrote, ‘Big-Bang cosmology refers to an epoch that cannot be reached by any form of astronomy, and, in more than two decades, it has not produced a single successful prediction.’3 Even though many people currently consider cosmic microwave background radiation a successful prediction of the ‘big bang,’ this is very shaky, and would fit better with Dr Russ Humphreys’ cosmological model that involves God having stretched out the cosmos (Isaiah 42:5).

This should be a lesson to ‘big-bang’ apologists, who are seduced by its apparent teaching of a beginning of the universe and simply ignore the contradictions with God’s Word. What happens to their apologetic framework if the secular astronomical community goes along with Hoyle after all, and rejects the ‘big bang’? Then the ‘big-bang’ apologists would need to reinterpret their reinterpretations of Genesis! See also What are some of the problems with the Big Bang theory?

Also, commenting on the general state of mainstream cosmology, Hoyle and several colleagues wrote, ‘Cosmology is unique in science in that it is a very large intellectual edifice based on very few facts. The strong tendency is to replace a need for more facts by conformity.’4

References

1. Sullivan, W., Fred Hoyle dies at 86; opposed ‘big bang’ but named it, <www.nytimes.com/2001/08/22/obituaries/22HOYL.html>, August 22, 2001.
  2. Clayton, J., excerpt from The Source, http://howardpublishing.com/Books/Books/Chapters/thesource.htm, August 22, 2001.
  3. Hoyle, F., Home Is Where the Wind Blows, University Science Books, Mill Valley, California, 414, 1994, as reported in The Skeptic, 16(1):52.
  4. Arp, H.C., Burbidge, G., Hoyle, F., Narlikar, J.V. and Wickramasinghe, N.C., The extragalactic universe: an alternative view, Nature **346:**807–812, August 30, 1990.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The photos from the space telescopes are awe inspiring and cause me to praise the ONE who made it all.
I am so very small and insignificant that I can only just begin to comprehend the awesome power and incomprehensible brilliance of the One who made it all and shake with reverence and fear at His power over all of Creation and time, yet all praise be to Him, I know that He loves me and that is an amazing fact I don’t fully understand.

God Bless,
jon

No, it’s not true to say that. There are indeed far more neutral and deleterious mutations than beneficial ones (especially neutral ones, at least for humans). The neutral ones accumulate indefinitely while (with rare exceptions) the deleterious ones are eliminated by natural selection.

Why would you need beneficial mutations to counter the effect of neutral mutations? The latter don’t affect fitness, by definition, so there’s no effect to counter. Then there’s the separate idea that nearly neutral but very slightly deleterious mutations, ones that have so small an effect that selection can’t eliminate them, are gradually degrading genomes. This is Sanford’s ‘genetic entropy’. It’s wrong – it’s contradicted by a bunch of empirical data, has zero evidence in support of it, and makes no sense at all on theoretical grounds.

By the way, you still haven’t told us why genetic differences between species look so much like accumulated mutations.

5 Likes

The facts I stated (thin crispy curst of continents, and earth orbiting the nearest star) are not “latest secular beliefs.” Creation is pretty clear about this.
Peace and Christian love,
Joel

1 Like